Do you...

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Do you...

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:49 pm

That's a tricky one, SF. Maybe you should move to Bournemouth.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby fairlane500 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 pm

I own most airplane stuff on vinyl. I've since replaced the first 6 albums with the remastered cd's (withh added tracks! that's a plug for the manufacturer). First one I got was After Bathing at Baxters. I see that the Brumus sheet question was answered. It was a small poster of the dog with the lyrics on the back (on "The House a Pooneil Corner" where they say "...you do what you can to get balled and high" it's spelled "bald and hi", probably due to U.S. gov't regulations at the time. I thought that was kind of funny. Volunteers opens up to show an open faced PB&J sandwich. Baxters has that cool liner with all their (probably LSD inspired) doodles. I have the Long John Silver that opens up to form a stashbox. Blows Against the Empire has a reat lyric sheet. I also have an old "bootleg" in a plain white cover that just says "Up Against the Wall Jefferson Airplane in concert (or maybe it says "live"). I've seen this for sale since I got it in the '80's. Amoeba Music in Hollywood CA has it.
fairlane500

Postby starfire II on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Those nice people at Sundazed have reissued some early Airplane LPs as 180 gm. vinyl editions. I have a Sundazed copy of Baxter's, and as far as I can see, the packaging is pretty much identical to the original (apart from the label details, of course). Okay, so it's not an original, but it's a really nice thing to have for those of us who like our vinyl.
starfire II

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 am

That's good. I'd like a better copy of "Pillow". I just hope they haven't shoved bonus tracks on the end of each side. I hate that. Much better to use a bonus 45.
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat May 01, 2010 11:03 pm

I've yet to see or own any Airplane pre-Crown of Creation on vinyl, but I just moved into a new town where there's a record store that has Baxters, Pillow and Takes Off Sundazed re-issues, which will finally complete my two-year journey to finally own those albums on vinyl. Other than that, I only have one Sundazed vinyl re-issue and I love it, so I think they're a good company for vinyl re-issuing... just a little expensive at times.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby starfire II on Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am

Yeah, but sometimes you have to pay a little extra for the best things in life. Regarding Susan's earlier comments, there are no extra tracks on the Sundazed reissues, as far as I know - which is good. It's nice to hear those previously unissued bits and pieces, but they break up the flow of the original LP, I think - and as a marketing exercise to get people to shell out again for something they already own, it stinks. But then we always have the option of not buying, I suppose.
starfire II

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 am

"Daydream" by the Lovin Spoonful was reissued in this irritating format, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy it, even though I've been trying to find it for years!
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 am

i don't know how this format would break up the flow or be irritating (other than paying a second time for the remastered version with extra tracks) because the additional tracks tend to be slapped on at the end of the cd. you can program them out or just stop playing the cd when they come on.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon May 03, 2010 10:24 pm

It's the extra tracks on LPs I don't like. Like me, many people buy LPs because they resemble the original releases we can't find, or can't afford. Mucking about with the contents spoils the package.
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm with Susan on this. The only reason I'm shuffling out thirty dollars for a re-issue of an album released in the same format forty years ago, is because I can't find an original or it's just too expensive, or otherwise I'd just get the original release, as the artist intended. Bonus/unreleased tracks were left off an album for a reason.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Egg Crisis on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm

This is what I have.

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxters
Jefferson Airplane - Crown Of Creation (with lyric sheet)
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers (gatefold sleeve)
Jefferson Airplane - Bark
Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver (Mine's the stash box version. I've no idea if there was a re-release in a normal sleeve).
Great Society - Conspicuous Only In It's Absence
Grace Slick - Manhole (with lyric booklet)
Grace Slick - Welcome To The Wrecking Ball (gatefold sleeve. with inner sleeve)
Kantner,Slick - Sunfighter (gatefold sleeve. with inner sleeve & lyric booklet)
Kantner,Slick,Freiberg - Baron Von Tollbooth And The Chrome Nun (with inner sleeve, plus an additional sheet giving the credits for each track)
Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly (with inner sleeve)
Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus
Jefferson Starship - Spitfire (with inner sleeve)
Jefferson Starship - Earth (with inner sleeve)
Jefferson Starship - Gold (with inner sleeve)

I had to get the CD's for some of the others as I couldn't find the vinyl version.
Egg Crisis

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I have on vinyl:

Bless its Pointed Little Head
After Bathing at Baxters (with the paper sleeve with the drawings)
Crown of Creation (2 copies, both with lyric insert)
Volunteers (2 copies, 1 with newspaper/lyric insert)
Bark (2 copies with inserts, but neither with the grocery bag)
Long John Silver (2 copies, 1 German pressing stashbox copy, the other only the disc with no sleeve)
Thirty Seconds Over Winterland (1 copy, with the colorful picture sleeve)
She Has Funny Cars/Somebody to Love 45

Blows Against the Empire (2 copies, 1970 with insert and special sleeve, 2008 re-release)
Great Society- Conspicuous Only in It's Absence
Hot Tuna- Hoppkorv
Hot Tuna- Americas Choice (3 copies)
Hot Tuna- Yellow Fever (2 copies)
JS- Red Octopus (4 copies)
JS- Dragon Fly (2 copies)
JS- Spitfire
JS- Modern Times
Bodacious DF (disc only)
Papa John Creach- Filthy Funky 45
Joe E. Covington- Fat Fandango

All of my vinyl is stuff I've found in shops, thrift stores, nothing off the internet. I've never seen 'Takes Off'. I found SP once but it was in bad condition and almost $15. A record store here has Sunfighter but I haven't had the money. I think another record store here has the original Hot Tuna LP, too. I luckily have about 3 good record stores here in town.

I'm pretty sure LJS had another pressing with a regular jacket, with an image of a crazy looking pirate. That might just been a promotional picture, though.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:48 pm

The 45 of Long John Silver has the Rip Torn pirate on its cover. How that solitary item got into the singles rack of Coles New World Supermarket, Gosnells, I'll never know.
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:36 am

ATTENTION SB:

Lovin' Spoonful Daydream LP now on Ebay on a Buy It Now 9.95gbp 3.75gbp row shipping.
VG/VG used condition PYE 1966

Don't know the shop, and no picture, but at that price you might think it worth a punt

8) :lol:
nicktecky

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions