How old were you when you stopped tripping

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: How old were you when you stopped tripping

Postby redrabid on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I have a feeling that some want to reason the dangers of acid away. Bluntly said: Too bad what happened to them, but they were bonkers to start with". But there is no way of knowing whether that's true. At least in some cases it is unlikely. Maybe we should be more cautious in use and judgement.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 pm

You're right, we have no way of knowing. I hope someday we'll know more, but that will have to wait until research is allowed once more. And, yes, I am rationalising the danger away to some extent, because I haven't ruled out taking LSD again when I'm able. The danger I face is depression, and rationalisation is a way of dealing with that illness.

Anyone had problems with flashbacks? I didn't have them for years, but I got one a couple of weeks ago. I think it's the stress of the hot weather.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby IneedaBonghit on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 am

Actually to answer the question of this post, I stopped tripping around 1983. I attended Timothy Leary University and my instructor was Paul McCartney. I only took 4 hits of blotter. Of those 4, 2 were duds. The other 2 were probably low grade but I did not have any bad trips. After those experiences though I recognized that there was a danger in taking it. I had seen brand and quality differences and became concerned that I could end up taking some from a "bad" batch and perhaps do something crazy like believing I could fly.

Its possible that people who took LSD had a life changing event while under its influence, and perhaps that messed them up. But if you think about it people have gotten messed up by driving a car, drinking too much, or whatever. I got messed up simply by running through my house when I was about 10. I was heading out to the back porch outside for some reason. I was running through the house and saw what appeared to be the glass screen door open so I ran like I was going through the door. The glass screen door was not open and I smacked nose first like a bird right into it. At that time I thought all I got was a bloody nose. But it was not till many years later that I realized that I had busted my nose during that incident. I had worn glasses for many years which masked my busted nose. Glasses which I started wearing shortly after busting my nose.

I guess just about anything could mess up a person.
Getting reborn isn't easy. It's like hitting the reset switch of a computer, or getting hit by a wrecking ball. My life is rebooting...:)
IneedaBonghit

Postby okeedoe on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:56 am

And now you're messing with blasphemy by wearing a nun costume.It is an offending act against the brides of Christ.The Nuns Are Watching you ,Jack!
A two hundred years in Purgatory only for that one.I hope you will achieve the state necessary for ST.Peter to open The Pearly Gates for you.

When was the last time you received the Sacrament of Penance ,brother Jack ?
okeedoe

Postby babson on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 am

Susan Butcher wrote:You're right, we have no way of knowing. I hope someday we'll know more, but that will have to wait until research is allowed once more. And, yes, I am rationalising the danger away to some extent, because I haven't ruled out taking LSD again when I'm able. The danger I face is depression, and rationalisation is a way of dealing with that illness.

Anyone had problems with flashbacks? I didn't have them for years, but I got one a couple of weeks ago. I think it's the stress of the hot weather.

I had one quite a few years ago though. I was in a public bathroom and the floor started swirling around. Scared the shit out of me at first, so it got really intense. By intense I mean the swirling floor had risen from flat on the floor to about eye level. So I started digging the swirling pattern and it just quickly disappeared. That's the only one I've ever had.

I've read someplace that there have been some good breakthroughs using psilocybin to treat depression. But the governments only allow its use if nothing else has worked at all, because they are still afraid of hippies.

I, personally think, that all hallucinogens could be used to treat alcoholics. This has some substance as it has been shown with Indian tribes that peyote has this effect on the members who take it.
Last edited by babson on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby IneedaBonghit on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:40 pm

okeedoe wrote:And now you're messing with blasphemy by wearing a nun costume.It is an offending act against the brides of Christ.The Nuns Are Watching you ,Jack!
A two hundred years in Purgatory only for that one.I hope you will achieve the state necessary for ST.Peter to open The Pearly Gates for you.

When was the last time you received the Sacrament of Penance ,brother Jack ?

Your right! The Nuns are watching me! My church music group holds our practices in the same building as the convent, the Nuns pop in every now and then. I was one of the brothers at the CBA too! You sure have a lot of insight.
I found this picture of me from a Halloween party. It reminded me of Bill Thompson and Grace.
Guess I'll be spending 200 years in Purgatory with Grace then huh?
Getting reborn isn't easy. It's like hitting the reset switch of a computer, or getting hit by a wrecking ball. My life is rebooting...:)
IneedaBonghit

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 pm

I guess it's only Catholics or ex-Catholics who dress up as nuns. I've never felt the need.
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 am

You don't know what you're missing,Susie.You should try it sometime.I think you would make a smashing mother superior.A tripping mother superior- a nice surrealistic scene of paradox in a good spirit of Monty Python's .

Dave Allen was the best looking Catholic ''priest'' I have ever seen.I guess becoming a comedian is one of the benefits of a rigid Catholic doctrine and schooling.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:13 pm

My voluntary insanities take a Christian turn sometimes, I admit.
Susan Butcher

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 am

Caught a show called "the Hippies" on the history channel. Thought it was very thorough and accurate. Started with the Merry Pranksters, the Warlocks/GreatfulDead, from the Human Be-in and on through to woodstock.

It helped a lot to have an exponentially growing Hippie culture as a support group for LSD use. I noticed that the tripping in the Haight/Ash or west always seemed to involve some group at a social gathering. The Acid Tests, the Human Be-In.

In New England on the East coast, it took a little longer for things to get started. Weed turned up in the summer of '67 and small pockets of LSD just going into '68, with the exception of Greenwich Village in New York which was the origin of the east coast Haight/Ash scene.

When we started tripping we did it different. For about the first 20 or 30 trips, we all went quite a ways into the woods. There were no more than 5 or 6 of us. There was no social event or music or dancing or light shows. The only music was nature and the only light show was the sunshine making the comet's tale on a branch as it moved through the air. Tracers for short. Watching the rocks breath was fun too and we spent hours.

So naturally we found it difficult to go among straight folks while tripping. Stores were even harder. But tripping amongst society eventually and inevitably happened.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Unless I dedicated the entire day to being only with others who had taken something, and going to a remote place, I found even a brief engagement with someone not on anything extremely uncomfortable. Your expression and thoughts are impossible to hide. Under conditions where we kept ourselves to secluded area, and interacted only amongst ourselves, it was always a great experience. The opportunities for putting a whole day aside, and finding the right group of people are just not there, anymore.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby zeke on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:15 pm

That was interesting to read, thanks peeps :) I have never used any drugs, never smoked and I rarely drink. They don't appeal to me much. But with all I have been reading on the internet for years, I do wonder how LSD would work. Is it too late to give a try at 25 years old ;) I don't even know how one would find any kind of drugs anyway :D You guys make it sound like they are sold in each street corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxZoTKxRbo
zeke

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

zeke wrote:I don't even know how one would find any kind of drugs anyway :D You guys make it sound like they are sold in each street corner

I thought at least hash was commonplace in Turkey? When I was in high school, pot and LSD were so available, they were given away. When my friends went away to college, they usually brought back mushrooms from the southwest USA. According to the newspaper, prescription drugs, extasy, and heroin are popular in schools around here, now. I've never seen anyone take any of these, though...
jimmie ray

Postby zeke on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Hey Jimmie! I'm surprised you actually remember where I come from :) Hash hasn't been popular around here for the last century. It was a tradition for certain groups in the Ottoman Era but they are considered as drugs with the Republic Era. So we don't see any "haşhaşi" (you may know them as assasins) around any more. There is very little demand for drugs now so availability is limited. When I was in high school, hardest thing we had was rakı :) But it did make our days back then.
zeke

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 pm

You know, Zeke - I'm not most cultured person, but I never forget someone I've shared a laugh with. I haven't sampled any hash in a long time, but remember it "assasinates" your body by sneaking in nice and mellow, then expanding and causing the lungs and eyeballs to pop. Is Raki like Ouzo or Sambuca?
jimmie ray

Previous

Return to Open Forums