with all thats going on today in this country

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: with all thats going on today in this country

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 pm

It wasn't a dig at you, PF, just the way history's being mangled by lazy journalists. Don't be talked out of your idealism. Find some like-minded friends. I'm sure you can.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 am

Oh, I see...

Sorry, I took that a little wrong. It was good for me to clarify anyway. Yeah, I hope there are more people like me who are even vaguely close to my age. I haven't really found that there are a lot of us, but hopefully there's enough to change something.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby oldblue on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

plasticfantastic wrote:Have you heard the Quicksilver Messenger Service's song "What About Me"? Really fantastic. Another (much more obscure) song about the impending revolution that didn't... quite.... happen.

there never was an impending revolution
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 pm

No, but the visionaries thought it was coming all the same. Something to do with the "69" of 1969 looking like itself upside down, I imagine. What more evidence would you need?!

I liked "Pride Of Man", which I didn't hear until 2001, by which time it actually seemed relevant.
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:33 am

Susan Butcher wrote:No, but the visionaries thought it was coming all the same. Something to do with the "69" of 1969 looking like itself upside down, I imagine. What more evidence would you need?!

I liked "Pride Of Man", which I didn't hear until 2001, by which time it actually seemed relevant.

visionaries? now that's funny. i'd say it was more the agenda of media whores like abbie hoffman and misled upper-middle-class and upper-class kids like the weathermen. bombs? sure thing. who elected them to represent anyone anyway? i sure didn't.

it wasn't the revolution (whatever that was supposed to be anyway) but more the imposition of arrogance upon a waiting market.

pride of man was first recorded in 1964 by its author hamilton camp.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 am

You don't have to be anything in particular to have a vision, and you don't have to be right either.
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:You don't have to be anything in particular to have a vision, and you don't have to right either.

all true. yet the line between visionary and psychotic might be a thin one. don't believe me, just ask charley manson. helter skelter anyone?
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 am

It's so thin it's not there! Possibly it's just a matter of how well you can cope with being aware of things most people can't see.
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 am

Susan Butcher wrote:It's so thin it's not there! Possibly it's just a matter of how well you can cope with being aware of things most people can't see.

let's not get all wordsworthian. just because someone "sees" something doesn't necessarily mean it's there
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Obviously. But I think "psychotic insight" (or its psychedelic equivalent) can be revealing if you normally think rationally.

We've got away from American politics here.
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:Obviously. But I think "psychotic insight" (or its psychedelic equivalent) can be revealing if you normally think rationally.

We've got away from American politics here.

"normally think rationally" trying to get my head around that one.

anyway, i'm not so sure "insight" is the right word; though it fits in certain instances but not all or even very many.

insight: an instance of apprehending the true nature of a thing, esp. through intuitive understanding: an insight into 18th-century life.
2. penetrating mental vision or discernment; faculty of seeing into inner character or underlying truth.
3. Psychology.
a. an understanding of relationships that sheds light on or helps solve a problem.
b. (in psychotherapy) the recognition of sources of emotional difficulty.
c. an understanding of the motivational forces behind one's actions, thoughts, or behavior; self-knowledge.
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 pm

I found the term "psychotic insight" in some psychological writing. In that context it meant a delusion of an "inner truth". I sometimes have such experiences myself, and I try not dismiss them as delusions without subjecting them to rational thought. If they occurred all the time, and I couldn't think rationally, I'd be unable to sort through them, and I'd be up mental shit creek. Now I've reached the end of my ability to explain myself!
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:I found the term "psychotic insight" in some psychological writing. In that context it meant a delusion of an "inner truth". I sometimes have such experiences myself, and I try not dismiss them as delusions without subjecting them to rational thought. If they occurred all the time, and I couldn't think rationally, I'd be unable to sort through them, and I'd be up mental shit creek. Now I've reached the end of my ability to explain myself!

anyway the best thing written on psychedelic music is t.s. eliot's essay on the metaphysicals.
oldblue

Postby redrabid on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 am

I woke up this morning and watched the news: The USA decided to become a civilized country.
Health care available to everyone.
redrabid

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 am

Amazing! After seeing some pretty ugly demonstrations on opposing
it by those who would have us back in the stone ages 8)
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions