with all thats going on today in this country

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: with all thats going on today in this country

Postby Americanborn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

i agree with you. one thing this administration has tried to say. the results of today are from the hippies of the 60's. boy do i disagree. the hippies ere against government back then and wars. the teaparty has been recognized as a party in florida from what a few emails i got said so i think your right on. in fact , it seems that the conservatives and independents are growing too.
Americanborn

Postby babson on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Americanborn wrote:yes , somewhere we have kinda drifted away from our traditions. it's coming back , but slowly. the tea party's are a great example.

What's a tea party. Are you reffering to the Gracy Abbie Nixon sugar cube?
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby Americanborn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 pm

IT'S PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT AMERICA'S ABOUT AND DOESN'T EXPECT GOVERNMENT TO DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM. IN OTHER WORDS, THEY UNDERSTAND THAT GOVERNMENT WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND ! A LITTLE CLEARER.... UNDERSTANDS WHAT AND WHY WE HAVE A CONSTITUTION . THANKS FOR ASKING... HOPE THAT HELPS.
Americanborn

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Are we really going to start up this topic again?

Last time things got waaaaay too heated. We [i]may[i] want to try to tone it down this time around, with all due respect.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:03 pm

The problem seemed to be paranoia, not politics as such. I agree America deserves something better than a two-party monolithic republic, but heads must change before the empire falls. That said, and Democrat policies aside, I kind of like Obama. He seems to think about what he's saying when he speaks.

I really hope that Nixon tea party story is just a story. How could you expect do something like that and not get caught? Secondly, dosing someone without their consent is a kind of rape, though it's not quite as bad as bombing South-East Asia back to the Stone Age. And thirdly, THAT GUY HAD HIS FINGER ON THE FUCKING BUTTON! WERE YOU TRYING TO GET US ALL KILLED?!
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby babson on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 am

Well, Obama's certainly the better deal, migrating to the lesser of 2 evils fast though. I am disappointed on his additional troops in Afghan. That whole show is a carefully orchestrated waste. I understand those big money corporations play hardball, but we need more out of him.

I do give him kudos for at least delaying the decision, but the plan to get out was already there -> Wasn't it?

Health care turned out to be another mis-fire.

I'm leaning toward the tea party however. I remember LBJ was a Democrat. I cannot trust Democrats since then. I thought Clinton was good, then I find out he filled the privatized former federal prisons with marijuana violators so the prison businesses could trade higher on Wall St. That's called slavery folks.

Then the Texas companies, that got those billion dollar Homeland security contracts.

Then there's the Private Federal reserve bank. Our founding fathers were absolutely against this sort of thing.

Add the usury of the rest of the banks on credit...I think even Jesus and the Prophet Gabriel were opposed to this.

Lastly, I told my son, "The Democrats won't save you if there's a draft...
Long time ago
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 pm

It must be like having to choose between Coke and Pepsi when you actually want orange juice!
Susan Butcher

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am

babson wrote:Well, Obama's certainly the better deal, migrating to the lesser of 2 evils fast though. I am disappointed on his additional troops in Afghan. That whole show is a carefully orchestrated waste. I do give him kudos for at least delaying the decision, but the plan to get out was already there -> Wasn't it?

It seems like we're sucking up this B.S. more readily than ever, just because someone throws the word "change" around? For 3 years in a row, 30,000 troops have been added to that campaign, and have only lost more lives, territory, and credibility in the process. Now they're promising a resolution and pullout in less than 2 years - that can't be realistically projected from what's been happening. These areas can recruit ten times that much resistance in a few weeks time, and escalate it into the millions, if it continues. There is no clear cut way to separate a terrorist from an insurgent from a conspirator from a dissadent from a civilian from an ally there.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby babson on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:26 pm

I just read a little on the Tea party. I don't think that's the one for me. I think health care for everyone is a good, humane thing. I think it's a tragedy we don't have it already. Reminds me of the Monty Python line about the Roman Senate. "What about the poor?" Senate response", F@ck the poor". Our health care system is an embarrassment compared to the rest of the world. That's just the way I see it. I could be wrong.

Didn't see much on any opposition to war. Had a Republican tinge to it.
Long time ago
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:51 pm

That's sort of what I expected. Often there's big money politics behind "populism". People with very little going for them end up defending the rights of the rich and powerful.
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

plasticfantastic wrote:Ugggg... Don't even mention the Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers/Katy Perry crap. I'm ashamed of my generation.

I've been told by so many people that I should've been around then, and I really wish I had. It seems to me like there was a lot more freedom there. It's really weird-- I don't think I'm really in any kind of a minority in terms of my disgust with my generation. It seems like people my age have been retreating into other generations that they wish they'd been a part of. There are loads of us who don't like modern times.

People are so distant now. There's no community anymore.

create the reality you describe.

i wouldn't consider vietnam in any way to be about freedom or fun.

after about 1966 it really was just about marketing anyway.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 am

Things were somewhat miserable in Australia, too. Artists, filmmakers and writers were being arrested for the most trivial violations of taste; there was total ban on horror movies, even the good ones; there were no votes for blacks, or entry for non-whites; people were drinking themselves sick because the pubs all closed at six; and no chocolate in summer because there weren't enough fridges. Not really a daisy-covered era of fun and freedom at all. But that's what the thoughtless "remember".
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 am

Oh god, this topic again... doesn't end well...

Well, in coming to my defense, I don't believe I ever said that Vietnam was fun and games... All I meant, (and what I maintained in later posts on this topic) was that times were different then, and I've been told for my entire life that I would fit better then than I do in these times. That was really the point of the post, but I can understand how it could be misunderstood.

All I know about the era is what I've been told.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 pm

You do PF. You do fit better then, and maybe it's coming around again!!
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Maybe it is. I know if she puts her mind and heart into it, she could very well be a major part of it all coming back around, if she isn't leading it. Shes extremely talented, and talent may mean very little anymore, but if put to the right use, it can mean everything.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions