The Worst Of Times...

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

The Worst Of Times...

Postby davesixties on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:42 am

It's 40 years ago this coming November since the ironically-titled The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane hit the record stores. Even it's dark cover was a black joke. My, how the years fly by!
The passage of time, however, has been kind - as a representative look back at the band's first six albums, it does the business. The Worst Of is as good an introduction to JA's early work as you could ask for.
Classics 'Somebody To Love', 'White Rabbit' (yes, this really did cause a stir at the time and led to several bannings!!!!), 'The Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil', and 'Plastic Fantastic Lover' (live version), are there in all their glory. The rest of the tracks are mouth-watering bonuses of psychedelic rock at its best.
Any thoughts?
davesixties

Re: The Worst Of Times...

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm gunna upgrade my vinyl to CD for the Worst. Side one are the ones I'm after.

My favorites

It's no secret
Somebody to Love
Blues from an Airplane
Today

The rest a close 2nd

White Rabbit
Embryonic journey
Martha
The ballad of you me & Pooneil
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 pm

The third Airplane album I ever got, its in pristine condition, everything together and theres not a noticeable imperfection anywhere on it and plays better than any CD I've heard, whereas all my other Airplane records are from mediocre to questionable condition. The rub here is I listen to it least, because for me, they are one of those bands where my favorite songs are not the hits.Even so, its still a wonderful compilation and I listen to it a lot, considering its my least-played of their albums, that I have though.I have also yet to come across anything pre Crown on vinyl, or any format... Very, very sadly...

My problem always was though, WHY Chushingura!?
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I love Chushingura!

I think it's odd, and very far-out, but I really do like it a lot. I think it adds atmosphere to Crown. If I may use a rather conveluted analogy, Chushingura is not land or sea, but some sort of very colorful flower that makes everything a little more interesting.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Matt Wilson on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 pm

It would've been better had it included their 1970 single "Mexico/Have You Seen the Saucers."

Hell, they could've rectified this by at least putting it on the CD version thus giving us an incentive to buy a disc in which we already own all the other tracks. But do they do this?

Of course not...
Matt Wilson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Oh, I know Chushingura does add atmosphere on CROWN, but to include on The Worst Of, it just throws it off for me.On the studio album its perfect, but doesn't fit on a compilation, I woulda been happier with say, Star Track or If You Feel in its place, or as Matt said, Mexico! Then again, it is The WORST of, so they can kinda get away putting whatever they want on it.

But everybody is different, I always maintain no two people hear something the same exact way.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby usedtobebabson on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:The third Airplane album I ever got, its in pristine condition, everything together and theres not a noticeable imperfection anywhere on it and plays better than any CD I've heard, whereas all my other Airplane records are from mediocre to questionable condition. The rub here is I listen to it least, because for me, they are one of those bands where my favorite songs are not the hits.Even so, its still a wonderful compilation and I listen to it a lot, considering its my least-played of their albums, that I have though.I have also yet to come across anything pre Crown on vinyl, or any format... Very, very sadly...

My vinyl is scratchy as all hell. It's got 40 years of frequent play on it.
Chushingura is supposed to be 'sounds from a concentration camp', I think. I remember seeing that someplace. It always seemed to fit perfectly for me. We are all different. Can't account for taste!
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 am

usedtobebabson wrote:
EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:The third Airplane album I ever got, its in pristine condition, everything together and theres not a noticeable imperfection anywhere on it and plays better than any CD I've heard, whereas all my other Airplane records are from mediocre to questionable condition. The rub here is I listen to it least, because for me, they are one of those bands where my favorite songs are not the hits.Even so, its still a wonderful compilation and I listen to it a lot, considering its my least-played of their albums, that I have though.I have also yet to come across anything pre Crown on vinyl, or any format... Very, very sadly...

My vinyl is scratchy as all hell. It's got 40 years of frequent play on it.
Chushingura is supposed to be 'sounds from a concentration camp', I think. I remember seeing that someplace. It always seemed to fit perfectly for me. We are all different. Can't account for taste!

Chūshingura is the name for fictionalized accounts of the historical revenge by the Forty-seven Ronin of the death of their master, Asano Naganori. Including the early Kanadehon Chūshingura, the story has been told in kabuki, bunraku, stage plays, films, novels, television shows and other media. With ten different television productions in the years 1997–2007 alone, the Chūshingura ranks among the most familiar of all stories in Japan
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Then, considering the cover of "Creation", it probably relates to Hiroshima.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions