Jack as The King Of Cool

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jack as The King Of Cool

Postby starfire II on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

During a dull moment at work recently (and boy, there are plenty of those), I started compiling a mental list of Genuinely Cool Rock Stars, and it occured to me that Jack should be on there somewhere. Okay, the raw material is not all that promising (the dancing eyebrows, the headband, and what looks like a chunky cardigan on the Woodstock footage), but let's reconsider: there are the shades, the lips, the genuine lack of artifice and self-conciousness - he's just completely at ease with himself. There's none of the messianic posturing of Bono or Jim Morrison, or the ravaged junkie demeanour of Keith Richards; nor any of the trying-too-hard posing and posturing of many of the current generation of rock stars.
Oh, and there are two very important deciding factors: he's aged with dignity, and he plays like an angel, which always helps.
starfire II

Re: Jack as The King Of Cool

Postby redrabid on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 pm

In the beginning Jack was a dedicated follower of men's fashion as some of the early photos of JA show. But that sharp dress sense went up in smoke.
redrabid

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

yes, Jack's always been the one that catches my Hippie eyes.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I catch Hot Tuna about twice a year, and Jack always wears a very slick looking black suit. The dancing eyebrows are still in high gear, much like one of the Muppet band characters.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 am

I agree, he's aged well. And I liked those Mexican jumpers he used to wear. (My last one fell to bits five years ago.)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions