Unpopular Gems

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Unpopular Gems

Postby redrabid on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

But of course, why wouldn't the worst music from the 60s be as bad as the worst from today's music? Check out those examples I gave you. And here is more: Jay and the Americans, Tommy James and the Shondells, Bobby Goldsboro, the air and the charts were polluted by such music.
All those artists from the 50s, trying to survive by releasing syrupy ballads, among them Paul Anka and formost Elvis Presley. Girls and girl groups singing misogynic songs; Who was it that sang; "He hit me, but it felt like a kiss".....? Patriotic songs like "Ballad of the Green Berets", English groups like Herman's Hermits. All those english artists, like Cilla Black, cashing in by releasing cheap covers of american (mostly black) artists. White groups ripping off american blues. None of these artists had any authenticity, the most important quality for good music. Record companies were very single orientated and most albums were full of throwaway material. Things changed for a while when album orientated groups brought in the cash. They were able to gain some power over their music. But the music industry regrouped very quickly. And we had to wait untill punk brought back some authenticity.
Yes indeed, bad then was just as bad as bad now.

Oh. I forgot to mention: All music from "Hair"!
redrabid

Postby PrayForPlagues on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

There is a lot of bad music today, I agree (like Lady Gaga- ugh!) but there is plenty of good music as well. Indie music today is great, bands like Ugly Cassanova, El Ten Eleven, Locksley, The Generationals, Crystal Castles and many more are among my favorites close up to the Airplane. Most of what's good today isn't easy to find out about unless you are 16 or so like me.

and yes, "Hair"! some of my favorite music right there. I have collected foreign cast albums of it and I have somewhere near 40.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I was eight in 1967, therefore I love the Monkees. It's a simple equation.

I think if you heard "Crimson and Clover" every time you turned your radio on, it would make you feel very sick indeed. But you hardly ever hear it now, so it's not so irritating. There's the rub. Maybe a lot of 60s pop music is rubbish, but it's not the same as the rubbish you hear now, so it seems slightly more interesting than it actually is.

As for "authenticity", it matters less with the passage of time. Who nowadays is going to think "I don't like Moby Grape because they sound like one of those plastic LA groups"?
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

babson wrote:
PrayForPlagues wrote:Don't think the Who were original for this guitar smashing thing. My guess is they picked it up from Hendrix.

Actually, The Who started smashing their guitars a little while before they got famous, in 1965 (or maybe 4).

Very common misconception, though.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby redrabid on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:40 am

Lots of 8 year old girls like Lady Gaga, look at the charts worldwide, but that doensn't make it necessarily good music, does it? Though they will have fond memories of it in 50 years time.
You are quite right Susan, for those of us who were there, judgement of 60s music is often difficult, because we can't hear the music "naked" anymore, it is always cloaked by nostalgic memories of our youth, even all those lousy songs like "Sugar, Sugar". Lying in the grass near the swimmingpool, listening with friends and classmates to top 40 radio, discussing which song was best: "Paperback writer" or "Satisfaction".
Even in the 60s I was puzzled by the misplaced arrogance of the San Francisco scene, denouncing all LA groups as plastic. Because, as is often pointed out, most of the best West Coast bands came from LA, with the exception of Jefferson Airplane (and Moby Grape I would add): Beach Boys, Frank Zappa and his Mothers of Invention, Buffalo Springfield, The Doors (hhm, I am not too fond of Jim Morrison's histrionics). Love is mentioned too as one of the best coming from LA, but I don't agree. Love is high on my list of most overrated bands ever: Halfbaked melodies, toe curling vocals, unlistenable for me, despite the interesting orchestration. The San Francisco groups thought highly of themselves, but most of them failed to deliver anything of sustained value.
By the way, Matthew Katz may have been a disastrous manager, first for JA and then Moby Grape, but he did have an ear for good music.

Two, maybe wellknown but unpopular gems:
Mothers of Invention:
"Freak Out" (1966!)
"Absolutely Free" (1967)
Great tunes, great lyrics, joyfully attacking the sensibilities of the Love generation and youth culture. Zappa was a genius, far ahead of his time. Unbelievable, 1966?!
redrabid

Postby okeedoe on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:25 am

Instrument destruction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_destruction

My little contribution to this topic:

Trader Horne - Morning Way -1970( Judy Dyble ,the original vocalist with the Fairport Convention and Irish multi-instrumentalist Jackie McAuley ,ex keyboerdist for Van Morrison's Them.)

Linda Perhacs -Parallelograms-1970

The Plastic Cloud -self-titled ,1968 -Canadian psychedelic rock quartet.A true gem of its time.
And my Favorite:Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day,1970
Last edited by okeedoe on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:
And babson, I would like to give you a golden award for getting to be in the same building as Jimi Hendrix while he was alive.You are now an idol of mine for experiencing that!Oh, and Hendrix did make it more interesting, but The Who were smashing guitars back in 1964 when he was in The Isley Brothers.

I'm sorry! Didn't know The Who even existed before '69. I did like The Isley Brothers, but can't remember the names of their songs.

Wonder If I get a Joplin award? I saw Big Brother and the Holding company twice in '68 also. First time at UMASS and it was a dollar to get in. Second time at a hall in Springfield Mass. This time it was $6.50 to get in. What can I say, Janis when she was with Big Brother, was at her best IMHO. I like Cheap Thrills the best, but Down on Me was good to.

I like some songs from today, but I don't generally seek them out. For instance, in that movie the devil wears prady, a girl sings a song that goes, Suddenly I see, What I want to be. I like that song but don't know the singer or the name of it.

I listened to a lot of Mothers of Invention and Frank Zappa was a hippie hero. I saw him live, but later around '71 or 72. We ate morning glory seeds and went to the concert. I was also at a Grateful dead concert around the same time. I will say this. The Mothers Of Invention had, by far, the largest turnout of "freaks" than even the Grateful Dead. I remember a rather fat gal started crawling on the stage on her hands and knees reaching out to Zappa who was in the middle of a song. 2 very muscular men came out on the stage, picked her up and removed her, but during this whole scenario Zappa didn't miss a beat. Just kept on playing like that was totally normal.

Hummh, I was under the impression that JA were pretty friendly with Zappa and the Doors.
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 pm

PrayForPlagues wrote:There is a lot of bad music today, I agree (like Lady Gaga- ugh!) but there is plenty of good music as well. Indie music today is great, bands like Ugly Cassanova, El Ten Eleven, Locksley, The Generationals, Crystal Castles and many more are among my favorites close up to the Airplane. Most of what's good today isn't easy to find out about unless you are 16 or so like me.

and yes, "Hair"! some of my favorite music right there. I have collected foreign cast albums of it and I have somewhere near 40.

I was a "Hair" fanatic back in the day. I saw the play the first time in NYC on broadway in '68. I saw it again in Chicago in '70. Saw it again in SanFrancisco in '70 or 71. Saw it again in Seattle in '72 or '73. Had the cassette tape, but that eventually get chewed up. I've had it on my list for the last year or 2, but haven't bought a CD of it yet.
Long time ago
babson

Postby redrabid on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Highly unpopular, underrated by almost everyone, but truly a gem:
Rolling Stones -"Their Satanic Majesties' Request".
Some great songs like "She's A Rainbow" and "2000 Lightyears From Home". It is considered a failure. Only Blues inspired music is accepted from The Stones. But I liked it and still do. I fail to see why it is not as good as the vastly overrated "Sgt. Pepper".
redrabid

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 pm

redrabid wrote:Highly unpopular, underrated by almost everyone, but truly a gem:
Some great songs like "She's A Rainbow" and "2000 Lightyears From Home". It is considered a failure. Only Blues inspired music is accepted from The Stones. But I liked it and still do. I fail to see why it is not as good as the vastly overrated "Sgt. Pepper".

Beggars Banquet was my favorite Stones album. Sympathy for the devil stands out.

Which make me wonder, back in '68 and '69, or maybe just 68, there was an awful lot of the Beatles White album going around along with the acid and weed.
Long time ago
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 pm

I expect the Mothers were immune from the "plastic" accusation, since Zappa seemed to have started it himself, and applied it to nearly everyone he could think of. Flower punks and all.

There were certain LA groups that for some reason had a strong following in England. Love, and the Byrds particularly. Perhaps we were hearing our own influence in their music. Since my ears are English, I do rate Love very highly.

So back to the subject, my unpopular gem is Clear Light's one and only self-titled album on Elektra. If I haven't already mentioned it.
Susan Butcher

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 pm

redrabid wrote:Highly unpopular, underrated by almost everyone, but truly a gem:

As great as the Stones were, they had some obvious stretches where they were more followers than innovators. This was their psychedelic try, and mostly quite enjoyable. It is somewhat comical that their country and disco attempts were more popular?
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 pm

The Rolling Stones are good, but too over rated for my tastes.People tend to call them "The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band Ever", and I just laugh and not listen to anything of theirs for a while.I hate that tag, rock 'n' roll isnt about being the greatest, its supposed to be about NOT being the greatest!

Japanese unpopular gem-
Blues Creation - Demon and Eleven Children(1971).They are very heavy, but the heaviness surrounds blues-rock song structures.Kinda like Budgie or Rampage Hot Tuna.
And another British gem-
Dark - Round The Edges(1971).Kinda early 1970s British Psychedelic rock, its an alright album.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 am

"Satanic Majesties" has a sound that's closer to the hard core English underground groups than "Sgt. Pepper". It's not as derivative as some critics say. "Citadel" is my favourite Stones recording by far.
Susan Butcher

Postby redrabid on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Wire - Pink Flag (1977)

Amazing album, one of the very best from the punk area. Some 20 songs in 35 minutes. Minimal songs, stripped to the bone. It also proves that you don't have to be an accomplished musician to make great rock and roll. The album has one of the best covers ever.
redrabid

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums