My piece on "We Can Be Together"

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

My piece on "We Can Be Together"

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 pm

For my 9th grade English class... I'll probably scare my teacher. Our assigment was to write our feelings about some kind of quote, which we could get from anywhere. Naturally, I chose Jefferson AIrplane lyrics.
What do you guys think?

The flower-children of the late 1960s have many connotations, both good and bad, and one that is often overlooked is the political activism that powered much of the younger generation. The 1960s marked the first time that this happened in any major way, and it unfortunately marked the last time as well. This sudden political involvement was reflected in much of the music of the time. Aside from in the folk scene, where it can be argued that the political influence in music was the strongest, San Francisco-based bands like Jefferson Airplane soundtracked the anti-war movement. In 1970, Jefferson Airplane’s song “We Can Be Together” was released on a single, far overshadowed by “Volunteers”, its iconic A-side. It is unfortunate that it has been so forgotten, especially since one lyric, “We are all outlaws in the eyes of America” beautifully sums up not only the anti-war movement in the 1960s, but the isolation that the younger generation still feels today; that they will never be what the older generation wants them to be.

“Outlaws” is a very interesting way of referring to this generational divide. It seems that other words, like “outcasts”, “outsiders”, or even “aliens” would come to mind at first thought, but at second glance, one will realize that the word is incredibly appropriate for the generational divide. It seems as though shocking the older generation is encoded into the human DNA. We simply can’t be well-behaved and obedient, perfectly filling our parents’ footsteps, partly because if we did, there could be no change. Everything would stagnate, and our culture could never expand, transform, or grow. We need revolution badly, for it is the only way to improve. It is definitely true that sometimes it goes the other way, plunging a country into a depression, a corrupt government, or sometimes worse, but we need to take that risk, or else we will never taste the benefits of revolution either.

“We Can Be Together” suggests what many people already know; that the generational divide in our society is one that can never really be reconciled, mainly because the ideals of every generation are different. The generations can never really please each other because their principles can never match up. The older generation often interprets this as “teen rebelliousness”, but in truth, it is just an effect of the natural passage of time. Maybe we are all outlaws when our generation is young, but as time goes on, our “crimes” will just become our entire country’s new way of life.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: My piece on "We Can Be Together"

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:18 am

The Generation Gap's perennial. If I was a teacher, I'd give you a star for that point alone.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby LovePeaceNFreedom on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 am

Wow, this was a great read.

The really ironic part about all of this is that the older generation of today is the generation that grew up in the '60s. Baby-boomers are the ones that essentially run society. Up until Obama, all the most recent figureheads of American society have been Boomers: Bill & Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, and even our current VP. Most college professors and many high-school teachers also come from that generation, which definitely explains why today's society is largely liberal.

The strange thing that many people fail to realize is the fact that the result of this is that both the left and right wing have this background in common, and it has permeated into the politics of each side. Obviously, the left has continued to carry the torch of progressive liberalism into today's society. What is often overlooked is the fact that during the '70s, many people that had associated themselves with the counterculture of the '60s had re-joined society, so to speak, and later became the so-called "Reagan Democrats" that heavily influenced the neoconservative political ideology.

Neoconservatives are generally considered to be people from the left that later moved to the right; however, during the '80s, so many moderate-liberals from the '60s joined the "Reagan Revolution" that it blurred the distinction between the left-wing of the '60s and the then-current right-wing. This caused the Republican ideology to essentially mirror what was once the moderate-liberal position during the '60s, and most of the Republicans from then up until today have indoctrinated themselves with a neoconservative ideology. Therefore, today's major Republicans, such as John McCain, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and so on (yes, even Bush), are neoconservatives despite never having identified themselves as liberals.

The real irony here is that both the left and right are primarily led by people from the '60s generation and those that they directly influenced, and they generally possess a set of beliefs that range from left-of-center to far-left; but now, today's liberally-indoctrinated generation is derided by the older generation that ingrained their ideas into the minds of mainstream society. It seems as though we've pushed liberalism "too far" by becoming so self-centered, careless, and immoral (due to mass-desensitization) that we don't seem to have the drive to seize the inherent power that young people have to create real change. Yeah, young people are largely credited for Obama winning the Presidency, but once he entered office, there seemed to be a mass sigh-of-relief that our worries were over because he would take care of everything.

The obvious reaction of all of this is that the far-right, which has been missing for decades, has picked up the spirit of revolution and decided to run with it by urging a return to true conservative values. Thus, we have the ever-increasing following of people like Ron Paul promoting ideals of individual-liberty, smaller government, and a free-market financial system. In essence, today's counterculture is based upon the values of an older generation of conservatism.

Crazy, isn't it?
LovePeaceNFreedom

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:52 pm

A true counterculture would go deeper than politics, I think. It'd be somewhat separatist.
Susan Butcher

Postby babson on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:45 am

If you were there in late 60s early 70s, it was very clear that we were outlaws in the eyes of America. But we were peaceful, (we not only talked the talk - we walked the walk) and despite everything, the older generation was moved by us, and the government was made very uneasy about their current foreign police action.

The main problem with the older generation, was that they looked at VietNam like it was World War II all over again. We knew about World War II, but were not emotional attached, so we viewed VietNam, as it was. Not at all like World War II. Just politically bumbled foreign tour that was as far from world war II as could be, that was killing and maiming our generation for the profit of the industrial military complex.

Bush exploited this World War II mentality (Let's go back to it), with the younger generation who like us with world war II, were not emotionally attached to VietNam. I was disappointed in his partial success. Clearly, the government since Nixon, is trying to erase this hippie monkeywrench in the functioning of profitting the industrial military complex.

I told my son, that, sure we rebeled against the older generation, but not everything. We prided ourselves in thinking for ourselves, and we retained the things we thought were good about the older generation, but discarded (with extreme prejudice) those things we did not agree with.

I always wondered where we all went, but I would have never thought republicans. Live and let die is the motto for today.

God is the future - He is pulling us toward him.

Mankind is still practicing human sacrifice and slavery. They are just in a slightly different form.. I
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby babson on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Susan! What's this make tea, not war. Why tea? Not coffee or oatmeal? Has aids snuffed the make love part?
Long time ago
babson

Postby babson on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Maybe we are all outlaws when our generation is young, but as time goes on, our “crimes” will just become our entire country’s new way of life.

Great paper Plasticfantastic. This last line is our ideal, but reality falls short.

We have no draft so far, we have miniskirts, we have a lot more freedom in entertainment. Males can grow their hair long without too much fear of getting roughed up by rednecks. Maybe we have the bikers to thank for this.

However the foreign tours and industrial military complex goes on. Marijuana and hallucinogens are still illegal. Society (a big freedom oppressor), has gone back to short hair on males. Peace signs are not the norm, rather support our troops is. No one is flashing the peace sign anymore.
Last edited by babson on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time ago
babson

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:09 pm

babson wrote:Maybe we are all outlaws when our generation is young, but as time goes on, our “crimes” will just become our entire country’s new way of life.

Too true, too true.

babson wrote:No one is flashing the peace sign anymore.

Well, I sure am!
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby babson on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 am

plasticfantastic wrote:
babson wrote:Maybe we are all outlaws when our generation is young, but as time goes on, our “crimes” will just become our entire country’s new way of life.

Too true, too true.

babson wrote:No one is flashing the peace sign anymore.

Well, I sure am!

Just trying to say, as time goes on, that the older generation and Government, conceded the smaller "crimes", but retained the more important ones, as our entire country's new way of life.

Glad to hear you are still flashing the peace sign. I was at a football game last year and a bunch military chinook helicopters made an impressive low fly over the stadium. It was like no one knew what to do, so I flashed the peace sign high over my head and the crowd around us exploded. Just habit. We always did that during VietNam when we saw the Choppers.
Long time ago
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Don't fret over this tea vs. love business, Babson! It's an English anti-war slogan. Bolshy old lady stuff. I'm a tea addict and I feel like a old lady sometimes. Please don't misunderstand me, I really do think love is the most wonderful thing in the world.
Susan Butcher

Postby babson on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 am

Susan Butcher wrote:Don't fret over this tea vs. love business, Babson! It's an English anti-war slogan. Bolshy old lady stuff. I'm a tea addict and I feel like a old lady sometimes. Please don't misunderstand me, I really do think love is the most wonderful thing in the world.

It's just my recent reading. The Gracie Nixon sugar cube, the tea party, etc. At first glance I thought you were refferring to one or the other.

Different teas can be a trip.
Long time ago
babson

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions