Who is your favorite JA member?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Who is your favorite Jefferson Airplane member

Grace Slick
34%
Marty Balin
11%
Paul Kantner
14%
Jorma Kaukonen
11%
Jack Casaday
26%
Spencer Dryden
3%
Signe Toly Anderson
No votes
Skip Spence
No votes
Joey Covington
No votes
John Barbata
No votes

Total votes : 35

Who is your favorite JA member?

Postby LatherPCL on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Mine is Grace Slick. All the others have talent, but I wonder what would have happened if Signe Toly Anderson had stayed. Grace really added something to the group.
LatherPCL

Re: Who is your favorite JA member?

Postby okeedoe on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:15 pm

It is enough for me to see her name written somwhere and something hot and sharp punctures my chest .She 's so goddamn exiting.She is like a wild animal:mysterious,exciting,dangerous - seen mostly from the distance,difficult to follow her reasons and impossible toposess her entirely.
Maybe it is only because I'm a 46 old geezer who heard and saw her(on tv) for the first time when he was just a spring chicken.I was mesmerized.And I still am.
As for the rest of JA members, there is nothing especially thrilling about them individually.They make well known impression only as a JA unity.
Last edited by okeedoe on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:28 pm

Can't do it. I'd have to put both Paul and Grace.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Steve on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Not sure who Jack Casaday is, but Jack Casady & Jack Bruce inspired me to play bass guitar.
Steve

Postby plueschinger on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello

No question,
I love Jack

BTW
Love and peace
plueschinger

for chasin destiny.>
Do you remember the concert from 67, when grace told > this is for all drug addicts under 18
plueschinger

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 am

While Grace is the favorite of many people, myself included, JA wouldn't be JA without EVERYONE. I love everyone in the band. They add thier own personal flavor to everything, and that's what makes the band so wonderful. They're all so different in personality, yet they come together and make the most amazing music I've ever heard. No wonder they're one of the most popular bands to come out of the 60's. Their music speaks to everyone, and they made wonderful (and not so wonderful) music. As Grace said, "It's not all perfect stuff, it shows the warts and moles and everything" :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Heh, no problem. But it is how I feel. Grace is the more noticable one, and the one most people love. But, as someone (I think it was Grace) said, if you had 5 pigs and 1 donkey, what would you notice more? The donkey. But I love everyone in JA. They are all a fascinating group of people. :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby graceslick on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:21 am

Grace said if you have 5 goats and 1 pig, people are naturally gonna notice the pig (comparing herself to a pig...ah, only Grace would do that. lol)
graceslick

Postby Lilla on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 am

It's not an easy question...my personal favourites are Grace and Marty, but they are all great musicians and all the members had their part in the music which made JA one of the best american groups in the 60s.
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm

graceslick wrote:Grace said if you have 5 goats and 1 pig, people are naturally gonna notice the pig (comparing herself to a pig...ah, only Grace would do that. lol)

That is awesome. I've never heard that quote!

For me, it is completely impossible to choose from one of the greatest female vocalists ever, and a fabulous lead guitarist. So my favorite member would either be Grace or Jorma. I can't be any more specific than that. And by the way, plueschinger, I also love Jack Casady.

By the way, I find it rather sad that nobody voted for Spencer. He's so underrated.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 am

I think Jack is the element that many times took this group into "kickass" territory. And he's still got it!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby tontonfranck on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:10 am

Hmmm... hard to answer to that kind of question when a band is a real band.
Well, I'll say Jack because his bass sound was the first thing to make me listen to the band when i was younger.
Excuse my english...
tontonfranck

Postby babson on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

Well I'm not musically talented. For me it was just listening to the songs.

Back in the days of high adventure, I never knew any of the bands members. Things were really kind of a perpetual blur back then. I knew Morrison - but couldn't name another band member. I knew Gracie Slick - likewise no one else.

It is only since I've started at this website that I've learned who was in the band.

So back in the day I would say Gracie. Now, I think I would go with Marty Balin.
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby starfire II on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Hmmmnnnn, tricky one. Can't decide between Jack or Grace. Okay, I'll go for Jack, as he inspired me to start learning the bass just before Christmas - at the age of 43. Better late than never, and all that.
starfire II

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Thats a tough one... they're all amazing! I don't think I can vote, because that classic line-up was really golden, and if I were to leave one out, I leave out a major element. It would be like taking trees away from the planet for me. So, instead of voting, I'll leave a massive explanation of how much I like each of them.

The first two years I was into J.A, I had a massive crush on Grace, so of course then I woulda said her, but I've got someone else now, so I have to focus on who influences me more, than who was more fun to look at and think about. As a bassist, I should go for Jack, he is one of my all time favorite bassists, and sometimes he is my all time favorite, he has had a major influence on my playing, and he also kicks serious ass.But, then theres Jorma! Without Jorma, I wouldn't have made my parents buy me a guitar, and few guitarists make me wanna play guitar as much as he does.I also think he is an amazing songwriter, not only the few songs he did with J.A, but also all his Hot Tuna masterpieces.He also kicks serious ass.But, of course, the under rated Paul, his genius is sadly under rated even by a lot of Airplane fans! Its sad, because I do think he is an amazing songwriter and guitarist, even if he just plays rhythm, he is one of the best and most unique rhythm guitar players ever, my favorite.He has definitely left an impression on my songwriting too. I can't stop there, I love Marty too, the band was nothing without him and he never contributed a song to J.A I didn't like or absolutely love. And I agree with plasticfantastic, I can't believe no one voted Spencer, he is a great drummer, and once he was gone, their live shows really suffered. Hes definitely the type of drummer I would want in my band. As for the others, I find Signe was a great singer, and we have to remember, without her, Grace wouldn't have decided to go into music! I can't say Skip Spence was a great drummer, because he wasn't a drummer, but I liked some of the songs he contributed to the band.John Barbata was a great drummer, I'm not at all adverse in The Turtles, but I do know I admire the music aspect of the first period of Jefferson Starship, so I can say he is also a great drummer. Joey Covington is the one I can say I don't like, I like Pretty As You Feel, but nothing else he contributed. He wasn't a good replacement for Spencer, I feel he polluted the formula, and the band didn't really try to find someone who fit their music, just whoever was available. When I think of Joey, I immediately think of the band ending, which makes me sad.

Sorry about leaving massive posts, but some one has to...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions