Mono Jefferson Airplane

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Mono Jefferson Airplane

Postby Apparatchik on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:22 pm

I picked up both Surrealistic Pillow and After Bathing at Baxters in Mono LP form, used, but still good sounding. They really are a treat to hear, especially the latter. Mono can make many songs sound different from their stereo counterparts. Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn is another example. I think the Sundazed record site has the Airplane in mono, if anyone is interested.
Apparatchik

Re: Mono Jefferson Airplane

Postby redrabid on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:22 pm

I possess a "24 Karat Gold Collector's Edition" of "Surrealistic Pillow" with first the stereo version and then the mono version of the album. I never play it. Maybe I should melt it in these times of crisis.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:25 pm

In what way is the mono version different, apart from being monophonic?
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Apparatchik on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 am

There is no separation of sound with mono so the mix can sound richer, fuller or it may favor some instruments over others, at least to my ears. Most rock records of that era were mixed mainly for mono and not stereo. The Beatles and early Pink Floyd records are other good examples.

As for the indivdual records, I find that in Surrealistic Pillow, the rhythm and singing are higher in the mix at the expense of the guitar work, espeically on Somebody to Love. As for Bathing at Baxter, I cannot compare as I have never heard the stereo version of that album. Sorry I could not help more. Ultimately, you have to hear. The ear does not lie.
Apparatchik

Postby JoeD80 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:32 pm

You should really track down a stereo vinyl copy of After Bathing at Baxter's. It sounds 10 times better than my CD copy, and the Airplane were experimenting more with stereo on that album in particular. And Jack's bass - loud where it should be!
JoeD80

Postby rprest on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 am

I've also been picking up variant mixes lately....

Picked up Mono's of the Takes Off, Pillow, Baxters and Creation, along with the Quad mix of Volunteers. I agree that the mono's have a lot more punch, but have yet to do a 'back to back' type comparison to see how they differ. The Quad mix of volunteers is an odd one. Different takes of some tracks, which I think also cropped up on the Loves You CD set. Maybe it's my copy, or the fact that I'm listening to it on two speakers (??), but whole the thing sounds muddy and quite difficult to listen to.

Are there any other mix variations worth picking up? I assume that after Crown of Creation mono's didn't appear?
rprest

Postby Apparatchik on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:40 am

As far as I know only the first three Airplane albums have mono versions. I think that began to be phased out in 68-69 and afteward stereo becomes the rule for both rock and jazz. I would like to hear the quad version of Volunteers.

Thanks
Apparatchik

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions