with all thats going on today in this country

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

with all thats going on today in this country

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 pm

how about the song Volunteers . at the end of the song how about changing the words to "Apologies of America" . i dont know about anyone here and as the jefferson airplane has always played... revolution ! they have since the 60's told it how it is and how government have played more roles of the devil when it comes to war and now our freedoms... how about it jefferson airplane.... how about a song" Revolution in America !!
Americanborn

Re: with all thats going on today in this country

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Have you heard the Quicksilver Messenger Service's song "What About Me"? Really fantastic. Another (much more obscure) song about the impending revolution that didn't... quite.... happen.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm

yea , it is good .... i just think it's time for us ole hippies to get America back again... people today just dont care and it's time for a reminder. :wink:
Americanborn

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Definitely!

I'll see if I can rally my generation too-- I'm thirteen. The political apathy in people I know at school sickens me, and I wish people cared again. We need change.
plasticfantastic

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:12 pm

yea , you kids are being taught some crazy stuff. i like al gores quote" older people dont know as much as they think" and obama speaks the same. you kids wont be able to do anything when you get all grown up. no choices or anything. watch the movie demolition man . that will tell you what i'm saying. i'm a ole hippie from the 60's and man was it happenin then. it was so much fun to be able to be a kid , instead of watching tv and being downloades with stuff hannah montana and her green peace stuff.
Americanborn

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Ugggg... Don't even mention the Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers/Katy Perry crap. I'm ashamed of my generation.

I've been told by so many people that I should've been around then, and I really wish I had. It seems to me like there was a lot more freedom there. It's really weird-- I don't think I'm really in any kind of a minority in terms of my disgust with my generation. It seems like people my age have been retreating into other generations that they wish they'd been a part of. There are loads of us who don't like modern times.

People are so distant now. There's no community anymore.
plasticfantastic

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:45 pm

dont feel you have been left out. yes , i was able to be a kid.. now government pushes supremacy , schooling , health , what you eat and many other things. the states have taken parental rights away from parents in a lot of cases saying that they know better than the parents and in some cases maybe. but , it is interferring and now more and more people expect government to do for them. take delivering the news paper. in my day thats a kids job.. today , retired people have to do them to survive.. man we have lost our way. government has never been a solution.. always a problem. veitnam war , desert storm , iraq and now afgan. but you know they are still forgetting ? this country's security. more and more immigrant come here with screenings and finally .. you had 9-11 . and it's gonna happen again and it shouldnt if we abided by our own rules. i feel so sorry today for kids. so much pressure to be better than other kids in other country's. why so high expectations ? and here we are right back to what i said earlier.. supremacy in the world. this country created a constitution and that constitution was to keep things from outside from getting in here and infecting this country as idid when the people left to come here. to protect the people here with laws and unity.
Americanborn

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I see what you mean. Everyone is so competitive now, really about everything. People my age are being pressured to conform all the time, and if you don't conform to mainstream, you can still be labelled as something. Individuality and counterculture become mainstream nowadays. I'm sure you've noticed the commercialization of the peace sign and the anarchy symbol.

There's something commercial and mass-produced out there for everyone, even when you are trying to be different!
plasticfantastic

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:09 pm

you get it... do you talk with you parents about it ? you should.. i think your on the mark here when your speaking. this world is not perfect never will . we always have to keep that in mind and be able to live our lives fully and they way we want. thats the constitution.. talk with your parents , school them about the constitution and how important it is you can be a kid and grow up appreciating that. they will too ! you have to believe in yourself first and thats at any age. stand for what you believe in and go for it. i've never been a sheeple . i've been independent but within morals. and not morals set by others . but by my teaching from people i believed in .
Americanborn

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:19 pm

My family used to have a house for a short time.That was last year, now we were forced out and have to live in a 20-year-old motor home because my dad lost his job.During most of winter we lived in a truck-stop in Virginia nearly freezing to death because we didnt have heat or electricity.My dad eventually got a job, and we got a place in an RV park, but a week before christmas he broke his leg moving a bank safe.Hes a furniture mover, and hes not legally supposed to move f*ckin' bank safes, but the company let him.Because of it, we worried all christmas if he was able to keep his job so we would have heat and electricity by new-years.Not for presents we didnt recieve.The woman who worked for us(and other starving nearly homeless people) at Community Services(the place where we would all get food stamps and rent money) acted as if we didnt exist, and tried as best as possible to not give us food stamps, and money to get rent at an RV park.I somehow feel it was because she was black and we were white, because she happily gave all the black people what they needed what what i saw.We are not the only ones who went through this, for this is everywhere in America.WE NEED A GOD-DAMN REVOLUTION!!

And music today is absolute crap too!!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:49 pm

I don't even know what to say. "I'm sorry" doesn't even begin to cover it. People should never have to go through what you did. It isn't fair, it isn't right, it's just horrible. EmbryonicRabbit, you're right. Problems like your family has had are everywhere. What are people doing about it? NOTHING. It's awful-- all men are created equal if they have the money to say it.

I wish there were more people our age who knew that we need revolution, and that we need change. It sounds really pessamistic, but it seems to me that there just aren't enough people like us to really make something happen. Americanborn, we are trying hard! I know that I talk to my parents and friends about this kind of thing a lot. I usually get responses like "That's funny", "You're such a hippie!", or "I wish you'd been around forty years ago".

The truth is, I couldn't have been around forty years ago, and and instead of just wishing that I did (which I do spend a lot of time doing!) I have to try to make things happen now, and it's pretty hard to do that when your peers couldn't care less.

EmbryonicRabbit, I'm sure you have the same problem with this sort of thing that I do.
plasticfantastic

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm

look , this is not a color thng by far. part of it is , government does keep the black ciommunity in check because of public aid.. it's slavery in a sense . that being said , we all are American's and we all are suffering , mom's dad's , kids everyone. as said , reagan said it best. government is not the solution it's the problem". now look , you kids are powerful more than you know. if you kids see your getting the short end of the stick you kids can communicate is a whole lot fast than use ole hippies could . but we did. it's ok to respect others and laws. it's ok to be a kid and let it be known. but to sit and be indoctrinated by things like the disney channel , cartoon movies the ice age , the melt down etc... is totally stupid. your not being able to think for yourselves. the facts are , lids live what they arent learnt. if this stuff is put in your heads when your real young it sticks with you forever . thats why i say , you cant be kids no more. this stuff is in schools( the obama songs) on tv , radio. you are what you see and hear. why is the black community so mad at the white ? it's whats being taught and where . talk with your parents , let your voices be heard that you want to be kids not puppets.
Americanborn

Postby Americanborn on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 pm

kids , talk to your parents . remind them about when they were kids and ask them to look at today. if your not happy speak to them. go to school and learn about this country , why it's here. you kids are powerful and should be heard. bring it up to your teachers. tell them what you think. all i can say is , you show by example and government has never shown anything to sit back and tell people how or what they should be or live like. be heard kids.. go to your parents and tell them. ask them what it was when they were kids.
Americanborn

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:11 pm

America is a puzzling place. Why is there so much poverty in such a wealthy country? What on earth do you mean when you say "Freedom"? Why is the gloved hand always reaching for the big stick?
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Americanborn on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 am

we have the freedom to be poor , or lazy or rich and to achieve. but with that now is power. the people who dont have the effort expect things no matter how they get it , so in most cases it's government but then government wants something back... control / say so. i talked to a politician here in illinois and they told me over the phone that a certain ethics culture is not to go and do for themselves and they are to be catered to because of their cultures way of thinking. my god , to me thats encouraging that ethnic to be useless instead of useful. to be eduacted and to give them the ambition to make something of themselves. and i was told i was wrong for thinking any different. UNBELIEVABLE ! i can see being taught this as a kid but come on.. even after you grow up and still cant think for yourself ?
Americanborn

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions