Go Ride The Music: A Gift To Grace

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Go Ride The Music: A Gift To Grace

Postby redrabid on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:55 pm

Dear Grace Slick,

For more than 40 years your music and voice have given me great joy and at times even solace. On the occasion of your 70th birthday I want to give you a virtual musical present in return. Two albums of "Mugam", the traditional music of Azerbaidjan:

-"Gozlarim Yol Gakanda" by Rubaba Muradova
-"Mugam d' Azerbaidjan" by Haji Baba Huseynov

I know that Spanish music with its Eastern, Moorish influence has always been a great inspiration to you. When I heard "Mugam" for the first time I was struck by its beauty, that moved me deeply. But, surprisingly,I also noticed that your music resembled "Mugam" in certain ways. Not only in the Eastern vocal style, but in its fierce, intense emotion too.
I think you will like this music.
Happy birthday!
Last edited by redrabid on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
redrabid

Re: Go Ride The Music: A Gift To Grace

Postby plasticfantastic on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:45 pm

What a great idea!

I'd love to be a part of this, but I don't know what to use...

When I think of something, I'll edit my post to include it. What kind of things were you thinking of in general? Can we use songs we've written ourselves, or should they just be songs we like, and feel she'd appreciate, etc?

Sorry, but I'm juuust a bit confused...
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Go Ride The Music: A Gift To Grace

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Ive thought about sending letters of appreciation to all my favourite musicians, but Grace especially.I just have no idea what to say, how to say it, or what it would comprise of.But a musical gift is great idea, I know she listens to alot of Spanish music, but I dont know anything about Spanish, Eastern or any world music, just rock and 60s pop, and im sure she already owns all the rock and pop albums she used to listen to.Ive also been extremely hesitant about sending her something because i dont know how to contact or send her something, and im madly in love with her, and i dont know if i would weird her out, but if i didnt tell her that, i would forever hate myself for passing my one chance at telling her how i feel.So just a musical gift would be great, i just have no idea where to start...

I sound insane dont I...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions