Latest on Hot Tuna

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Latest on Hot Tuna

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:29 pm

O.K. - here's the setlist from their last show you missed, just to cheer you up:

1. Disco Duck
2. Billy, Don't be a Hero
3. We Are the World
4. Electric Avenue
5. Safety Dance
6. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
7. Three Times a Lady
8. Like a Virgin
9. Mister Roboto
10. Who Let the Dogs Out (encore)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeesh, I'm making a young lady cry?

What made you think im a girl??Its the Rabbit in the name isnt it...Shoulda gone with Star Track
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm

[quote="EmbryonicRabbit68
What made you think im a girl??Its the Rabbit in the name isnt it...Shoulda gone with Star Track[/quote]

Whoops, I'm real sorry about that! Maybe it was the crying smiley faces? Anyway, you're a righteous dude, for not taking too much offense to my mistake. ROCK ON!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:23 pm

willie wrote:Hey Jimmy, you dawg.

willie's back, and there's gonna be trouble - hey now, hey now, willie's back!

Hope all has been well with you, and sorry I called you a girl years ago, too.
jimmie ray

Postby willie on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:43 pm

jimmie ray wrote:Hope all has been well with you, and sorry I called you a girl years ago, too.

Well, as it happens, I am now...

I gotta say, the novelty of having my own breasts to play with wore off quicker than I hoped.

It wasn't a complete waste though, I had the spare bits and bobs made into a very unique door stop.
willie

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 am

willie wrote:It wasn't a complete waste though, I had the spare bits and bobs made into a very unique door stop.

I was thinking of doing that, too - so they'd get more attention from the wife! Just wondering how it feels when someone slams to door, though?
jimmie ray

Postby Ensign on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Wow - has this thread strayed from "Latest on Hot Tuna"!!!!!
Perhaps a new thread should be started, like "Sexual Abnormalities Among Jefferson Airplane Fans."
Ensign

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Ensign wrote:Wow - has this thread strayed from "Latest on Hot Tuna"!!!!!
Perhaps a new thread should be started, like "Sexual Abnormalities Among Jefferson Airplane Fans."

There are no sex change announcements from any current Hot Tuna members, so maybe this is a bit off topic. I believe we did have one forum member genuinely do this a few years back - at least he talked about it, and then posted briefly with a female name. It's hard to comprehend these type of deviations - but he was a nice guy / gal...
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Why don't the Pentacles keep their Evil Spirits away?

(PS: If we are going off subject we should create a Quotes topic)
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:15 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Wow, that would suck.My parents grew up in the 1980s, so my moms a Punk and my dads a Metal head, and i was raised on that, plus other stuff like The Doors, Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep.Im like a musical rainbow.Anyway, its too late to see any shows, i think if my parents would actually listen to Hot Tuna, they might like them, and would problebly go.But im new to Hot Tuna anyway, actually started listening to the albums a week or two ago, and im hooked.I excepted straight up Blues and Blues Rock, but they get Funky too, and Hoppkorv is more Hard Rock than anything else.You can hear some Metal on Phosphorescent Rat and Yellow Fever too, if you listen closely.I gotta see Hot Tuna.

I was raised on The Beatles, The Kinks, and The Who. I ended up finding stuff like Jethro Tull, The Doors, The San Francisco scene bands, and TONS of other stuff on my own. My parents listen to the same music I do. It's awesome-- My parents could be driving around blasting Airplane before I even get in the car!

I've gotta see Hot Tuna too. I just found their album "Double Dose" on vinyl, and it's totally amazing! EmbroyonicRabbit, you should definitely check it out if you haven't already.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:35 am

Thats awesome.I kinda trade music with my parents nowadays.They show me 1 old band that may have been big in the 70s or 80s, i show them 10 old bands from the 60s or 70s no ones heard of!Theyve grasped on to most of them, the best ones, EXCEPT JA.My Moms a bit open, she was friends with alot of Deadheads in the early 90s before she met my Dad, and saw three shows in Florida in '91.But they have yet to really "make the connection", although my Dad hasnt really had a chance, and my Mom hasnt really heard an album, or concert.They use the excuse "too hippy-ish" alot.The Airplanes a band you gotta hear all the albums a few times to really "get it" though, and then put away the fact the majority of their fans are hippies, if youre against that.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Thats sad to think reviews and egos could split Jorma and Jack...atleast they came back together.Its been alot worse.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 pm

jimmie ray wrote:Do you have "Double Dose" (live)? This was recorded in 1977, but is how they sound now (mandolin instead of keyboards, however). They way they do songs like "Serpent of Dreams" and "See the Light" live, far exceeds the studio albums. I've never heard them do "Easy Now" live, but that would really crank!

God, I love Double Dose! I found a copy on vinyl and haven't stopped listening to it since. I wish I'd known about this Hot Tuna tour... I'm sure they came to LA.
plasticfantastic

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 am

I had read an interview with Jorma, where he showed his disdain for having to re-record many of the vocals for Double Dose. I don't go to shows for his vocal prowess - he sometimes forgets the lyrics, or mushes over words. Felix Papparldi was a talented producer and musician, and knew what it took to make a great album. The song selections for Double Dose are quite excellent, but it's very possible that they did better versions at other shows.
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah it took me a bit to get over Jormas vocals at first, but he gets the job done.I couldnt imagine anyone else singing those Hot Tuna classics.Live i thought he was better.Sounded deeper, which fit his songs more.And i kinda felt that about Bless Its Pointed Little Head, just about every song on there has been performed live better, except Rock Me Baby, which although might be my favourite cover, i havent heard it performed elsewhere by any Airplane members, and Fat Angel, thats my favourite live version of the song.

PS: Anybody heard the 26-10-69 Airplane show?The whole show rocked, but the version of Plastic Fantastic Lover is amazing.EVERYBODY excels.Especially Marty, Jorma and Jack, and Paul.Marty sounds so angry, and how Jorma and Paul start a twin-lead guitar thing towards the beginning is awesome.I have yet to get over how great that version is...

This is the show from Wolfgangs Vault-
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/j ... -3230.html

If you dont have an account, you cant play the concert.But i suggest everyone does, the Airplane shows there are amazing.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 am

WHOA! What an awesome version!

Thank you, EmbroyonicRabbit!
plasticfantastic

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums