JA 1970s Footage?WTF!?!?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

JA 1970s Footage?WTF!?!?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:43 am

Ok, i talked about footage in an earlier topic, but why is there no Airplane footage from 1971 and 1972, atleast in circulation.Theres nothing, and its REALLY bothering me.Theres 1970, Go Ride The Music, Family Dog and Kralingen Pop Fest, but nothing from 1971 and 1972, Bark and LJS.Can anyone tell me where i might find any footage from this era?Ive been looking forever and find nothing, and its annoying.There HAS to be something documenting this sometimes awkward but fine era of Jefferson Airplane on film.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Re: JA 1970s Footage?WTF!?!?

Postby JoeD80 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm

There's simple explanations for the lack of live footage from then. The band stopped their major touring in November 1970 and pretty much stuck to the studio in 1971 and 1972. There's maybe 4 or 5 concerts *max* from 1971. Also, in 1971 Bill Graham stopped running the Fillmore's and his people were reponsible for a lot of live footage previous to that (because they filmed most every performance there). In 1972 there was a US tour of only about 15 or so dates and that was it (I have a poster of the LJS tour with the dates around here somewhere; 15 is off the top of my head). So there just wasn't a lot of chance to get live footage of the band in those years.
JoeD80

Re: JA 1970s Footage?WTF!?!?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Thats right they didnt play much at that time.And i know they didnt play the Fillmore in early 1971 before it closed in July.I did hear about them on the Beat-Club(German TV show) during 1971, but they problebly didnt even go to Europe, it was problebly Monterey or Woodstock or something, the show did that alot to 60s bands in the 70s.But the fact almost every performance at the Fillmore was filmed makes me feel alot better because i was really giving up hope on the existence of a whole JA concert that wasnt deleted or heavily edited.Now we just wait for the day all those performances are licensed to the bands for release, and what a good day it will be.

PS: Were alot of Winterland shows filmed, because i know of alot of concert video extending from Winterland, and it would be nice to know theres Airplane concerts from there too.The show from 26th October 1969 was always my favourite!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions