Latest on Hot Tuna

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Latest on Hot Tuna

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 am

Hot Tuna is just starting their electric set tour. They have a new drummer, Scoota Warner, who's resume includes work with Busta Rhymes!? Jorma will be playing a Les Paul guitar for these shows, which is a nice tribute. I'll be seeing them in a few days, along with Little Feat. I'll try to give setlist, and thoughts on the show. Anyone else go to their shows recently?
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Re: Latest on Hot Tuna

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 am

The closest they are coming is Charlottesville, VA, and i would LOOOOVE to see them, but my parents arent necessarily fans, maybe my mom.Depends
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:29 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:The closest they are coming is Charlottesville, VA, and i would LOOOOVE to see them, but my parents arent necessarily fans, maybe my mom.Depends

My mom lives near Charlottesville. She's 85, but I think she would enjoy their acoustic show more - especially the old timey religous songs. I see them scheduled to play the IS Theatre there this Tuesday - I'm seeing them tommorow in NY. Sometime around Thanksgiving, I believe they will be doing an acoustic show at the Birchmere (Northern VA) - that's a great place to see a show.
jimmie ray

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

What a great show last night! They opened with one of my favorites, and showed high energy all the way. The new drummer fit in very well, and many of their jams radiated an intense, pulsating wall of sound. Jorma seemed to enjoy his new guitar, and at times shook wailing sounds from the neck like he was strangling a goose. Jack threw in a couple of bass solos and a duckwalk. Several well deserved standing ovations took place, but no encore was provided.

Here's the setlist:

1. Serpent of Dreams
2. Cracks In The Finish
3. Can’t Get Satisfied
4. Talkin’ Bout You
5. A Walk With Friends
6. Living Just For You
7. Funky #7
8. Rock Me Baby
9. Corners Without Exits
10. 99 Year Blues
11. I Wish You Would
12. Hit Single #1
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:21 pm

jimmie ray wrote:What a great show last night! They opened with one of my favorites, and showed high energy all the way. The new drummer fit in very well, and many of their jams radiated an intense, pulsating wall of sound. Jorma seemed to enjoy his new guitar, and at times shook wailing sounds from the neck like he was strangling a goose. Jack threw in a couple of bass solos and a duckwalk. Several well deserved standing ovations took place, but no encore was provided.

Here's the setlist:

1. Serpent of Dreams
2. Cracks In The Finish
3. Can’t Get Satisfied
4. Talkin’ Bout You
5. A Walk With Friends
6. Living Just For You
7. Funky #7
8. Rock Me Baby
9. Corners Without Exits
10. 99 Year Blues
11. I Wish You Would
12. Hit Single #1

OH I GOTTA SEE THAT SHOW!!!!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:31 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:OH I GOTTA SEE THAT SHOW!!!!

Can you still get tickets? I don't think Little Feat is doing this one with them, so you'll probably get two Tuna sets. Some of the songs I listed are pretty standard to be included, but with a longer show you would probably be treated to instrumentals like Water Song or Embryonic Journey. You won't be disappointed, I'll guarantee that!
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am

jimmie ray wrote:
EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:OH I GOTTA SEE THAT SHOW!!!!

Can you still get tickets? I don't think Little Feat is doing this one with them, so you'll probably get two Tuna sets. Some of the songs I listed are pretty standard to be included, but with a longer show you would probably be treated to instrumentals like Water Song or Embryonic Journey. You won't be disappointed, I'll guarantee that!

No..and im very depressed about it.Im 15, and Charlottesville is a bit away, so if my parents arent going im not, and its annoying.Now having read they might have done two sets, i feel like crawling into a dark corner and crying myself to sleep :cry: .

I think it would have been a good transition concert-wise.We just went to some Judas Priest and Black Sabbath shows(my music is VERY sporatic) and had to deal with a bunch of assholes and couldnt hear for 24 hours, so some Hot Tuna would have been good to follow it up.Now if JA was having another tour, and the REAL Jefferson Airplane not just "Paul Kantner and J*******n Starship Featuring Parts of music composed by J*******n Airplane Without Name or Copyright Infringement Intended: The Fifth Generation!", that i would make my parents go for.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am

When I was 15, I was not allowed to go to any concerts, play my music loudly, or even have posters on the wall. My parents would play Eddie Arnold and bring me to big band shows at the park. Why yours are bringing you to Judas Priest, where there obviously are going to be out of control assholes, is beyond me - unless that's music from their own heyday?
Hot Tuna will be playing an acoustic show at the Birchmere on December 3. That's in Alexandria, maybe it's closer - or you could stay overnght and tour DC the next day? The venue is very nice - you sit at tables, get waited on, great food, first on line early gets front tables, no bullshit allowed. Maybe you could do something nice for your parents, and petition for that to be the next show with them? You can look back in Jorma's online diary for setlists of acoustic shows they've done in the past. They did Good Shepard in the one I went to last year.
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Wow, that would suck.My parents grew up in the 1980s, so my moms a Punk and my dads a Metal head, and i was raised on that, plus other stuff like The Doors, Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep.Im like a musical rainbow.Anyway, its too late to see any shows, i think if my parents would actually listen to Hot Tuna, they might like them, and would problebly go.But im new to Hot Tuna anyway, actually started listening to the albums a week or two ago, and im hooked.I excepted straight up Blues and Blues Rock, but they get Funky too, and Hoppkorv is more Hard Rock than anything else.You can hear some Metal on Phosphorescent Rat and Yellow Fever too, if you listen closely.I gotta see Hot Tuna.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Absolutely. "America's Choice" is said to be their most metal-like album, but I don't care for the (tinny) sound quality of it. "Hoppkorv" is my favorite, although I must say there are a few stinkers (It's So Easy, Drivin' Around) on it. Do you have "Double Dose" (live)? This was recorded in 1977, but is how they sound now (mandolin instead of keyboards, however). They way they do songs like "Serpent of Dreams" and "See the Light" live, far exceeds the studio albums. I've never heard them do "Easy Now" live, but that would really crank!
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Yeah i havnt seen or heard Double Dose, i like to get familiar with studio albums and songs before i start collecting any live material possible.I LOOVE Easy Now, and i really wish they did that live.So far Phosphorescent Rat, Americas Choice and Hoppkorv are my favourites.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:31 am

I just read that Marty showed up at last night's show in Florida, and sang "Volunteers" with them! You never know what might happen?

Here's the setlist for Tuesday's show in Charlottesville, VA - it seemed too good not to post:
1. I See The Light
2. Been So Long
3. Ode To Billy Dean
4. Can’t Get Satisfied
5. Good Shepherd
6. Hesitation Blues
7. Bowlegged Woman
8. Talkin’ Bout You
9. A Walk With Friends
10. Living Just For You
11. Cracks In The Finish
12. I Wish You Would
13. Rock Me Baby
14. I Know You Rider
15. Corners Without Exits
16. Funky # 7
17. Hit Single #1
18. Encore: Water Song

Amazingly, their show in Charlotte, NC was cancelled due to low ticket sales. Must be alot of morons in that area...
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:09 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

Jeesh, I'm making a young lady cry?

O.K. - here's the setlist from their last show you missed, just to cheer you up:

1. Disco Duck
2. Billy, Don't be a Hero
3. We Are the World
4. Electric Avenue
5. Safety Dance
6. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
7. Three Times a Lady
8. Like a Virgin
9. Mister Roboto
10. Who Let the Dogs Out (encore)
jimmie ray

Postby willie on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Hey Jimmy, you dawg.
willie

Next

Return to Open Forums