Bark?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Bark?

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm

I just found a copy on vinyl for 10 bucks and I bought it. I haven't heard much about this album (forgive me-- I'm only 13), and I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

By the way, I also bought Kantner and Slick's Sunfighter. How's that one?

Thanks guys (and PEACE)!
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Bark?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Oddly, some people think its rare, but its the JA LP ive seen the most on vinyl in record shops, but have YET to even spot Surrealistic Pillow.I think its good, but lacking, like most Airplane fans agree.Unbalanced also because Marty Balin left during the creation of the album(Recorded Late '70-Mid-71, Marty left in Spring).So basicly, its good where its good, but the parts where its not good are sorta useless.Sunfighter was good, although i just heard it for the first time online.Saw the vinyl before, but i didnt know what it was like, so i just passed on it.Its kinda good, weird sometimes.I know if i DID have it i would problebly rarely listen to it.Maybe just for Silver Spoon, that ones a masterpiece!

PS: Theres alot of teenagers and kids on here(im 15), so its regular if your new and unfamiliar a bit.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks a lot.

I'm glad to know there are other 21st century hippies other than me...
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby JoeD80 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:57 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Oddly, some people think its rare, but its the JA LP ive seen the most on vinyl in record shops

The vinyl itself might not be rare, but what is rare is finding everything together: The record; the cardboard case; the lyrics sheet; and the outer paper bag complete with sticker that says "New Jefferson Airplane!"

Personally, Bark is one of my favorite albums. Tracks I enjoy most are "When the Earth Moves Again", "Feel So Good", "Law Man", "Third Week in the Chelsea", and "War Movie." Everytime I play "Crazy Miranda" for someone new they like the song a lot.

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Unbalanced also because Marty Balin left during the creation of the album(Recorded Late '70-Mid-71, Marty left in Spring).

Marty doesn't appear on Bark at all but I'm not sure how Bark is unbalanced...the album is divided pretty evenly between Paul (3 songs), Grace (3 songs), Jorma (3 songs), and Joey (2 songs, with one being a collaboration).

Sunfighter is also a favorite of mine. "Silver Spoon" is awesome (great Jack Casady bass on here) and I really like the tracks "Sunfighter", "Look at the Wood", and "Earth Mother."
JoeD80

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Thats true, i have only seen it all intact once, but coulnt get it :cry: .The one i got didnt have the bag or lyric "butcher sheet".I did find the butcher sheet in another issue, and took it, making it a frankenstein album like i had to do with Crown of Creation, which is taken from 3 LPs.I thought it was unbalanced because it was missing Marty.He usually makes a balanced album, the majority of the songs being written between him and Paul, with two by Grace, a masterpiece by Jorma, and occasionally something by Spencer.Without Marty, it feels like theres a huge hole there.Also because everyone in the band was also doing something else at the same time, so sometimes i feel it was strained material-wise.I still think its a great album anyway, alot of great songs.My favourites are Feel So Good, Pretty As You Feel, When The Earth Moves Again and War Movie.Thunk i oddly enjoy too, i like the rhythm of the vocals.

PS: For two years i thought Jack sang Pretty as you Feel :lol:
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I've said this before, but what Bark lacks is a kind of sonic togetherness the earlier records had; I think the band could have spent more time playing together before recording it. As it is, it does sounds strained. LJS is better in this respect, but I miss Marty of course. Did Paul and Grace save their best material for their own albums? Probably. I'd rather listen to Sunfighter than Bark.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Much prefer Sunfighter and LJS to Bark.
Steve

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions