Defending My Grace Obsession

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Defending My Grace Obsession

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Chasin-Destiny wrote:The Best that Rob did post here at this forum ?

I can't remember the topic anymore, but it was a picture. A picture of a child,
it was about an original aussie child and a little animal. THAT picture did say more
to me as Rob ever could write ! If Rob reads this, he should know what picture it was.
(Please post it again here !)

I never said I was a (good) writer....I'm NOT THAT vain :mrgreen: :wink: ......here is the photo CD's talking about....it's very touching and closer to PR's view of a better world as well...........

Peace and love to all!:)

Robert.
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 pm

GraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGraceGrace

Done out of boredom? Yes.
In other random news, if someone has a hippie (or 60's or Jefferson Airplane) survey I could do...you should inform me of this.

GRACEGRACE.

:D:D:D:D

Grace lights up my life.

That's so sweet. Sugar can't touch this.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Gustavo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Could not agree more.

The picture of that child is so full of grace.

Sorry if my last message in this forum might somehow have caused the start of an argument. It wasn’t the intention at all. Glad that whatever has happened afterwards ended in such a beautiful way.

Thanks also for the pictures of Grace posted right after my message. They encourage our admiration towards dignified aging. And yet all of these photographs carry in common the fact that we as human beings are allowed to learn (from mistakes, sometimes, I grant you) and thus evolve.

I would just like to add in my own defense that I have also learnt a lot form my mother. My dear mother is about the same age as Grace. Because my father used to travel a lot when we were younger, she raised her three children almost by herself. She used to sing and play the guitar, but not professionally. Now, she cannot play the guitar anymore, for she had a stroke and the right side of her body is paralyzed. Though the doctors said she would never walk again, this free and strong woman has never let the drawbacks of life prevail. Today she walks and she paints beautiful drawings with her left hand. Although she cannot play the guitar anymore, she still sings when we go to church or when my brother pays for her. When I listen to her singing today it is as if the very angels in heaven were singing for me. And her drawings, oh you should see her drawings… Despite everything, I really can’t remember my mother ever complaining about anything. She always smiles in a well-humored attitude towards life.

Another day I found an album of old photos she has. There were black-and-white pictures of her youth, before I was born. Man, she was beautiful then. But she is even a thousand times more beautiful for me now. She has put so much grace in my life through all these years. Just like in those precious moments someone presents you with a picture of that beautiful child embracing her beloved puppy.

Yes, I guess part of my devotion towards Grace dwells in the fact that the transitions of her life remind me to a great extent of my mother, with her singing, her age, her paintings, and her stance to it all. Still, this does not prevent me from finding grace in many other aspects of life. On the contrary, it helps me a lot in that sense. After all, isn’t it what art is all about, to find grace where it seems hidden to the common eye?
Gustavo

Postby psychhead on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 am

:D :D That's why I love Grace and women in general.....us men all hide behind the 'fine bark' of womanizers and most men.....NOT me!:)....forget that we were all born from one in the 1st place!:):) :mrgreen:

Peace to all :)

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 am

All human beings are female to begin with.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:41 pm

During the American financial debacle of 2008(which is still going on), my family moved into an RV and travelled not only because we could no longer afford a house, but because we liked travelling.We lost our money and lived in this thing without electricity or heating during the freezing winter of 2008 having to live on mayonaise packets and cookies placed out at the McDonalds which we stole, and eventually food stamps.There was nothing to do but sit in the cold, and by spring, nothing to do but sit in the heat, baking without air conditioning in some truck-stop parking lot.Now we are fine, established, but the only thing that kept me from going completely insane(more than I am) was thinking of Grace Slick...and getting to listen to Jethro Tull CDs when we went somewhere in the car.

Im in love with her, first time ive admited it.Have been for three years, but have never told my parents or anyone else.Its grown into an obsession.Is this unhealthy?Maybe for me.But she saved my life during those times, and i can say that without embarrasement.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby bear melter420 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 pm

if an obsession with grace slick makes you happy, how could it be unhealthy or wrong? i know for one that my obsession with her has made me a better person. instead of waking up in a shitty mood, i will wake up looking at paintings on my wall that i have made of her. as strange as it may sound, those images of her make me strive to be a better person, more like the person i envision her being. if one has to choose what is better, to be unhappy or have an obsession with a person which happens to fill you with joy, isn't the answer to that question obvious?
"A man came along, with a rain jacket on, a big long gun in his hand"
bear melter420

Postby okeedoe on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm glad you're fine now.Enjoy rather than worry about your Grace obsession,kid.It is normal for your age.
okeedoe

Postby graceslick on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:50 am

There's nothing wrong with having an obsession as long as it enriches your life. It's only really any sort of problem if your life is completely empty without the obsession. Obsessions tend to not last forever either. If, when it eventually wanes, you're left with nothing else, life can be pretty hard.

The only other problem with being obsessed is if you're mentally unstable to begin with and then act on your obsession in trying to hurt or "be with" the object of your obsession.

In any case, I don't think anyone here is like this.
graceslick

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 am

Yeah its not an obsession, im just really, really happy when i think about her, and shes helped me move on past things, and helped my progress as a musician.And without her i problebly wouldnt know of JA, or Hot Tuna, and without them i would be really, really empty in life, of which is 95% music.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby babson on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:37 am

Susan Butcher wrote:All human beings are female to begin with.

That's true. For about the first 2 weeks I think....
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby babson on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Whew! Quite a discussion.

My obssession isn't with Grace or JA specifically but with the time period from about 1967 to 1972. I was a magical time for me. Like a little slice of heaven for a while. There truely was peace in the neighborhoods. All the tough guys, myself included, had long hair and bells on their shoes, and instead of brawling and fighting, were exchanging hash and acid. The feeling of the Hippie culture was soo peaceful and beautiful, and Grace and JA had a lot to do with that. Their songs about acid helped a lot.

That's our curse I guess. We know it is possible. We experienced it.
We are again stuck in the devil's bargain. (I'm leaning towards atheism right now - think organized religion sucks the big one. Just another tool for Government control.)

Back then, I never thought about doing it with Grace. I was 20, she was 30 after all. However now, 40 years later, I think that would have been cool.

I can see why the Velvet Underground wasn't popular with JA. Hard drugs ruined the Haight-Ashbury scene, and eventually ruined the Hippy culture. Probably why the CIA was bringing hard drugs into the country. The Government was terrified of the Hippy Culture, thus the war on drugs, which ironically was fought with hard drugs. The Indians were right about the white people. They speak with forked tongues.

It's uplifting to see young people from around the world, grabbing on to the Music of that time period. You see, we don't don't know how it happened on so widespread of scale. It took so long to make it, we lost the recipe, so the cake is out in the rain right now. We all hope it does happen for you (the young) and more important that it last a lot longer.

Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Little islands of it happen now and again. It's my hope that it will eventually grow into something substantial and permanent. Whatever happens, it won't be forgotten.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:28 am

I feel I have to say this; I Love Grace Slick.Yes, its known.We all do, and I love the rest of the band almost equally, but those of you who have had a bad crush know that after a while of keeping it in or not saying it, you start to go insane.So I think this is the best place to just let it out.I love Grace Slick, everything about her, could come up with a list but it would be so long it would break the forum.I love her, love her, love her, love her.There, its out of my system.Embarrassing aint it?
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:50 pm

Not a bit.

My Grace obsession comes more in the form of inspiration, I believe. I'm a singer myself, and she and Janis Joplin (obviously!) are my greatest inspiration.

When I first started singing seriously, I fell in love with Grace's vocal acrobatics, and decided to learn them myself. It was only after I was able to imitate her perfectly (and my imitation is pretty much perfect, only she is obviously and substantially better than I am...) that I was able to develop my own style as a singer. I do realize that that seems like a contradiction, but it's hard to explain...
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums