Live Gems

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Live Gems

Postby Dormouse on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 pm

I would like to start a discussion of some of the rarer live Airplane recordings that some of you may have heard in person, on recording, or even have in your possession. Share your experiences with these great performances!

I have the Airplane performance from October 26, 1969 that is wonderful. Craig Fenton describes the version of Eskimo Blue Day as the best version ever. Personally, I think their performance of Greasy Heart is their best.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Re: Live Gems

Postby bear melter420 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:43 pm

go to wolfgangsvault.com . it's a cool site with lots of recordings from live shows. one of my favorites is mau mau from 10/25/69. i just realized that that is the day after what you just said. but anyway, there are so many amazing versions of songs on that site that i have not been able to find anywhere else
"A man came along, with a rain jacket on, a big long gun in his hand"
bear melter420

Re: Live Gems

Postby JoeD80 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:36 pm

redrabid wrote:Why was Live at the FillMore East released (crap) and were these recordings ignored?

My guess is that Live at the Fillmore East was released because 1998 was the 30th anniversary of its opening and those were recordings taken from Jefferson Airplane's first shows there. Record companies like to do stuff that means something more than just releasing good live shows...yeah, you don't always get good live albums that way but the company sells more (or at least they think they do).

As for good live shows, I am currently listening to the show from September 14th, 1970. There's a couple of issues with the mic not picking up vocals on We Can Be Together and Greasy Heart, but otherwise the show is great, and it's pretty exciting to hear Jorma & Jack play on the full version of "Starship." (this performance of "Starship" was released on the expanded edition of "Blows Against the Empire")
JoeD80

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions