Big Brother imitating Airplane?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Big Brother imitating Airplane?

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I a huge fan of Janis Joplin as well as Airplane, and I recently found a track by Big Brother and the Holding Co. called "Light is Faster Than Sound". When I listened to it, it struck me as VERY Airplane-y.

The lyrics, the guitar, the vocals, and especially the drumming seemed very Surrealistic Pillow to me. I was wondering if anyone knows this track, and if it struck them the same way.

As I recall, Janis and Grace were friends, which only makes me more curious about this track.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Big Brother imitating Airplane?

Postby okeedoe on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:02 pm

It is the song from Big Brother&Holding Co.first album(selftitled,1967).It was written by Peter Albin(bass and group's original lead singer).The song is very typical for Haight-Ashbury early psychedelia.
okeedoe

Postby Mace Soplick on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:40 pm

I am a very huge Janis fan too, and I know this song very well (I think it's great, by the way). I wouldn't say Big Brother tried to imitate Airplane! I love Big Brother's music as well as Airplane's, and I think the two bands played diffferent kinds of music (moreover, I would say that Big Brother was less proffessional than Airplane).
In my opinion Big Brother's music is less psychedelic than Jefferson's - that's why one of their most psychedelic songs - 'Light Is Faster Than Sound' -may sound like Airplane. But no, never will I agree that they tried to imitate Airplane. As it has already been written, most of the San Franciscan bands at the time tried to become as psychedelic as they could. :) And Big Brother, I think, is a really original band with it's own music style!
If you smile at me
You know I will understand
'Cause this is something everybody everywhere
Does in the same language :)
Mace Soplick

Postby okeedoe on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Well said,Mace.
okeedoe

Postby Mace Soplick on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Thank You very much :)
If you smile at me
You know I will understand
'Cause this is something everybody everywhere
Does in the same language :)
Mace Soplick

Postby Matt Wilson on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

It does have an Airplane kinda vibe, doesn't it? But no, I don't think they were imitating the Airplane circa Surrealistic Pillow. I don't have the CDs in front of me but all you'd have to do would be to look up the release date of Pillow and recording date of the first Big Brother album. If the song was recorded before Pillow was released your question is answered.
Matt Wilson

Postby oldblue on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pm

<<In my opinion Big Brother's music is less psychedelic than Jefferson's>>

listen to big brother's version of in the hall of the mountain king.

how do you define psychedelic?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions