The Jefferson Airplane What IF Game

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: The Jefferson Airplane What IF Game

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am

As a Hot Tuna fan foremost, I can't say I'm too upset over how things transpired - other than the embarrassment of the Starship's "success". Spencer went on to join a great band - the New Riders of the Purple Sage, but did have a sad ending in life. From all that I've read, Grace was a disruption presence in the later JA years, and was making their live shows unpleasant experiences. I've seen Jorma and Jack many times over the years, and they always put on a clean, professional show. I do wish there was more footage available of the old JA shows, though...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Ensign on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:50 pm

WHAT IF six turned out to be nine?
Ensign

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Jefferson Airplane - A Fine Blend of Herbs (1972)

Silver Spoon
The Highway Song
Aerie
Million
Alexander the Medium

Easter?
Second Hand Information
Sea Child
Eat Starch Mom
When I Was a Boy I Watched the Wolves
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:07 pm

One of the original members here, who attends Jorma's guitar camp regularly, feels that "Phouspherescent Rat" (sp?) was Jorma's first and best overall songwriting effort. I think much of "Burgers" is traditional tunes, or modified from previous blues players' work. I know he usually gives credit where it's due, and both albums have great songs. I've been looking into Jimmie Rodgers, who Jorma has been paying homage to more and more to, through the years. I'm glad Jorma doesn't try to yodel, though!
jimmie ray

Postby Steve on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Jorma wrote some very pretty songs for Tuna. Sleep Song & The Water Song immediately come to mind. Here in Philadelphia, WXPN-FM has used the last 3 note of Water Song in their station ID for decades.
Steve

Postby okeedoe on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:28 am

No JA what if game for me.Like i said elsewhere they emerged from countercultural mass movement in political and social turbulence of the 60's.It was the reaction to anachronism of general system of values and moral and ethic norms.It was a period of great opportunities for creative people to create and produce.The new prospectives were opening and inspiration was everywhere to ask for.JA arouse just when they were meant to be and vanished along with that wonderful period when idea of the 60's counterculture acomplished its purpose and became worn out anachronism itself.That was their dialectic.But heritage and spirit of the 60's was inplanted both in our conscience and subconscience to stay there forever.
So let JA stay in the past -forever young ,beautiful,exciting and rebelious.I don't even dare to imagine them after'73.They have no business in the late 70's and degeneric 80's.

It is a good theme for you boys to develope imagination and creativity,though.
Last edited by okeedoe on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:44 am

redrabid wrote:Countryrock was never my thing, so I've never heard a NRPS recording. Did Spencer write anything for them?

I find most "country" that goes back several decades is more bluesy, or bluegrassy. The intertwined instrumentals are what I like, as the lyrics are usually simple in nature. The New Riders are like this. Not sure if Dryden did any writing. John Dawson just passed away, he did most of the writing and singing. Never heard "Panama Red"?
jimmie ray

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 am

redrabid wrote:To Jimmie Ray,

Time to do a little fieldwork to discover whether Spencer Dryden ever did contribute to NRPS songs. It would be really nice if I could select a number co-written by Spencer in his NRPS-time for one of the albums in my JA What If Game. So, I'm going to listen to a few of those NRPS recordings. Which album, do you think, should I start with?

It looks like the only NRPS song you will find written by Dryden is called "Cement, Clay, and Glass", off of "The Adeventures of Panama Red". I think their first (self titled) album contains most of their best songs, but all are written by Dawson. It also has quite a bit of Grateful Dead instrumental contribution, including Mickey Hart on some of the drumming.
jimmie ray

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:00 am

I don't know why so many people dislike Tollbooth. It's the last real psychedelic record those mad hap'orths made. To my ears the first side is magnificent; the second side isn't so good, but no-one's perfect. David thought it was "better than any Jefferson Starship album", so there. Alright, I'm not playing the game, but Tollbooth's got a bit of that Airplaney something.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:24 pm

I do this stuff all the time, love it!I created maybe what would have been the Airplanes album in 1970, if they stuck to recording it after the February '70 sessions(where Mexico and Have You Seen The Saucers came from).Most of it is Blows Against the Empire, with Bark and the Mexico single with Up or Down, song from those sessions.Seeing as a majority of it is Blows Against The Empire, i tried to follow the concept as best as possible, and i also did an album cover, history and credits.(Btw, how do i post pictures I made from my computer, it will only let me post something on the net.)

Album Title: Starship
Release Date: 2nd September 1970
Recording Dates: 16th February - 1st June 1970
Highest Charting: #4

Track Listing-

Side One(22:14)-
1.Sunrise(Slick) - 1:54
2.Have You Seen The Saucers?(Kantner) - 3:38
3.Up Or Down(Balin/Peter Kaukonen) - 6:19
4.Mexico(Slick) - 2:06
5.Hijack(Kantner/Slick/Balin) - 8:18

Side Two(25:56)-
1.Mau Mau(Amerikon)(Kantner/Slick/Covington) - 6:33
2.Feel So Good(Kaukonen) - 4:40
3.Rock and Roll Island(Kantner) - 3:44
4.Have You Seen The Stars Tonite(Kantner/Crosby) - 3:42
5.Starship(Kantner/Slick/Balin) - 7:07

The album began in February 1970 as a follow up to 'Volunteers'.Three songs were put down during the first session, however by then Spencer Dryden was tired of the business and was burnt out, and had no belief in the Airplane anymore, and handed in his resignation.Luckily, within a week Jorma Kaukonen recruited session drummer Joey Covington a fit replacement, and sessions continued.Recording finished at the beginning of June, and tourdates were scheduled within a few days.The new LP, Starship, was released on the 1st September while on tour.However, several shows in Canada due to Grace Slicks unability to perform during October having been impregnated by Paul Kantner.All further dates through October and November were cancelled.During this time, Jorma, Jack, Marty and Joey then went into the studio to begin the following album.Paul and Grace joined in later.

Musicians-
Paul Kantner - Rhythm and Lead Guitars, Vocals
Marty Balin - Lead and Backing Vocals
Grace Slick - Lead and Backing Vocals, Piano
Jorma Kaukonen - Lead Guitar, Vocals
Jack Casady - Bass Guitar
Joey Covington - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
Spencer Dryden - Drums(On 'Mexico', 'Up or Down' and 'Have You Seen The Saucers')
David Crosby - Vocals and Guitar
Jerry Garcia - Guitar and Banjo
Last edited by EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby JoeD80 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 pm

redrabid wrote:What were Grace and Paul thinking?

They needed someone for harmony vocals and they knew David. I think he did just fine. Expecting him to be as amazing as Marty is setting the bar a little high. Plus David added a lot of great keyboard work to Jefferson Starship.

redrabid wrote:but Paul's lyrics are ridiculous on this album.

White Boy and Your Mind Has Left Your Body are both excellent lyrically IMO (and Jack plays on both tracks!) I like the Tollbooth album a lot.
JoeD80

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Something's just occured to me. If JA had stayed together, and these dream albums came to pass, wouldn't you guys be desperate to hear "unreleased demos" and "rare outtakes" like "Never Argue With a German"?

I do prefer Marty's singing to David's, but that doesn't really spoil Tollbooth for me.
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 am

Susan, i would pay millions to hear all the little sessions recording those songs, specially the funny ones with Grace like Never Argue With A German and Help A Bleeder, and i would love to hear how they came up with A Small Package.Anyway, my SECOND What If album.The follow up to Starship in 1970.I have album art, and would post it if i could but i created it so its not online.

Album Title: Earth Mother, Sun Fighter
Release Date: 8th March 1971
Recording Dates: 28th October 1970 - 16th January 1971
Location: Pacific High Recording, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A and Chateau Liberte, Los Gatos, CA, U.S.A
Highest Charting: #8

Track Listing-

Side One(22:40)-
1.When The Earth Moves Again(Kantner) - 3:57
2.Third Week in Chelsea(Kaukonen) - 4:34
3.Come Back Baby(Traditional, arr. Kaukonen) - 9:38
4.Pretty As You Feel(Covington/Kaukonen/Casady/Santana/Shreive) - 4:31

Side Two(27:48)-
1.Johns Other(Creach) - 8:12
2.Earth Mother(Traylor) - 3:21
3.Sun Fighter(Kantner) - 3:56
4.Crazy Miranda(Slick) - 3:23
5.Been So Long(Kaukonen) - 3:42
6.War Movie(Kantner) - 4:44

There were changes on this album.They became more accoustic, and writting was taken over by Paul Kantner and Jorma Kaukonen.This became the first without a writting credit by Marty Balin.Although he remained in the band, he took a break from songwritting.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Red Eyed at Dawn (1974)

Ride the Tiger
Sunrise Dance with the Devil
Caroline
Hyperdrive

Fast Buck Freddie
I Want to See Another World
I See the Light
Sweeter Than Honey
Better Lying Down
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:46 pm

I think it was Columbia who signed them, too late to get anything but a live test recording.
Susan Butcher

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions