Jefferson Airplane at Woodstock

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Airplane at Woodstock

Postby Dormouse on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 pm

I just got Jefferson Airplane's complete performance at Woodstock in the mail today. It was released June 30. Six previously unreleased tracks that have not even been well documented that they played. Includes their full version of Other Side as well. Truely rewrites some major Airplane history.

I have just now started listening to it. Sound quality is great, and it is sure to be one of Airplane's greatest performances. Wow! Anyone that hasn't really needs to at least check this out!

Link:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/The-Woo ... 022/?itm=1
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Re: Jefferson Airplane at Woodstock

Postby Steve on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 am

Good news. I was waiting to hear about sound quality before ordering.
Steve

Postby Dormouse on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:57 pm

There is an amazing 21:25 minute long version of Wooden Ships. Between verses of "Go Ride the Music", parts of JPP McStep Blues are beautifully interjected. Then a nice long jam session.

Also a good version of Ballad, which leads into the first performance of Starship.

One of the few times House is performed. A very hard song to do live, especially with audio troubles, as Grace quickly points out!

It is amazing to think that this was the first time the public heard Eskimo Blue Day! Wow, what a great sneak peek at their Volunteers album that would have been!

I hope other people here can get it as well. It is truly worth to have.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Steve on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Eskimo Blue Day is one of my fav Airplane song. Paul plays some VERY interesting chords there.
Steve

Postby Jerald on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 am

My favorite parts of the Woodstock performance are those not previously released. Great surprises. Excellent sound work--by Bob Irwin again, iirc. Spencer Dryden, to my mind, demonstrated the peak of his live performance art. Nice review of the recordings at allmusicguide.com. This is one of those must-have performances. Set your volume control to STUN.
Jerald

Postby Lilla on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Great news. I really hope I can buy it somewhere in Europe, maybe in Austria the next month.
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby Steve on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am

JA's set at Woodstock was fantastic. Sadly, the encore left much to be desired. Jorma vocals barely audable on Come Back Baby, a thowaway White Rabbit & frankly a crappy version of House at Pooneil. Wooden Ships & Ballad of Pooneil made it all worthwhile. Nicky Hopkins played, but could not be heard on most tracks. And Spencer- what a great drummer. Also, PK's guitar very up front in the mix. He plays some great stuff.
Steve

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

I didn't know about this release till I went on this messageboard, I just previewed the tracks on i-tunes, it sounds great and they have it for under 17 dollars. I'll have to get this soon, that's amazing about the nearly 22 minute Wooden Ships.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby Dormouse on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 am

I absolutely love the instrumental jam on the Wooden Ships track. Everything about it just shows how in sync they were with the music. You can tell they were feeling it, not just playing it.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Dormouse on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if there is some new Woodstock material of the Jefferson Airplane? I have heard that there is new footage, but I'm not sure if it is of the Airplane.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby JoeD80 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 pm

redrabid wrote:Jack Casady is a hell of a bassplayer, but he needed a driving drummer. With other drummers ... he ... could play such plodding, pedestrian rythms.

That's silly. Check out "A Child Is Coming", "Sunrise", "Silver Spoon", "White Boy (Transcaucasian Airmachine Blues)", and "Funky #7" for examples of Jack being awesome no matter what.
JoeD80

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 am

Most of the best work I've heard from Jack is with no drummer, such as Hot Tuna's first live album, and all the acoustic shows I've been to. "Hesitation Blues", "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning", and "Death Don't Have No Mercy" come to mind. I honestly don't even think Spencer's style fit many of JA's songs that well, but maybe I'm just not a drumming afficionado.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Lilla on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:27 am

It all happenned 40 years ago. :)
15th-17th August. :D
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby PrayForPlagues on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm

I had been looking forward to this release for a long time.
Most of it is great. The opening track, Other Side of This Life, is amazing! I can't believe they didnt have anything but the first 20 seconds in the Woodstock movie. They played a good set, all my favorite songs, and despite their exhaustion played well. The guitars are VERY out of tune for most of the recording, but Jorma and Paul do what they can and it sounds great regardless.

I didn't mind the packaging because I didnt have Volunteers. :D
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby Ensign on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 am

I think Jack does great things with no drummer as well as with a hard-hitter like Bob Steeler. There's no stopping him!
Ensign

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions