Favorite Airplane Album?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Favorite Airplane Album?

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Mine is After Bathing at Baxter's. Volunteers is a close second. I love part of Surrealistic Pillow, but I'm not crazy about the pop stuff.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by plasticfantastic on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Favorite Airplane Album?

Postby Dormouse on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:14 pm

I have to say Surrealistic Pillow, just because it was the first Airplane album I heard. From the first song, I was forever hooked.

But nothing about it strikes me as Pop. :D
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 am

Crown of Creation, by a whisker over Surrealistic Pillow. Though it's brilliant in places, I think Baxters is slapdash.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Steve on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Baxters, with LJS #2.
Steve

Postby 42wenty on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Crown of Creation, although if theirs some strong 'mind alterations' Baxter's for sure
42wenty

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:51 pm

That's amusing, because it was 'strong mind alterations' that told me 'slapdash'. Maybe I've just heard Baxters too often; people with novelty-seeking ears have that problem.
Susan Butcher

Postby Jerald on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:31 am

Changes weekly. This week--Jefferson Airplane: The Woodstock Experience. Newly released songs in great fidelity from an impressive performance despite the conditions. Wow.
Jerald

Postby Lilla on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 pm

I love them all, I can't choose..
I love 'Takes Off' because of the great folk tunes, there are a couple of very nice songs on it. 'Surrealistic Pillow' has something special, you know if you listen to that album, that the band made something great. 'Baxter's' is a very trippy one, it's a speciel one in an another way..'Crown of Creation' is a bit moody, a great mixture of folk&psychedelic tunes, I love it.
And 'Volunteers'..that's a strong stuff, you can hear the maturity in the music. On 'Bark' they continued a great job, I love the psychedelic tunes from Grace. Maybe 'Long John Silver' is the only exception..
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Volunteers, to me it's the group at their peak, it has a lot of the elements that made the previous albums great but also increased musicianship, some excellent longform tracks and some good country rock. There's some really underrated tracks on the album like Hey Frederick and Turn My Life Down.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby bear melter420 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:22 pm

After Bathing at Baxter's and Crown of Creation are two of my favorites, but I'm gonna have to go with Bless Its Pointed Little Head. I love live airplane!
"A man came along, with a rain jacket on, a big long gun in his hand"
bear melter420

Postby okeedoe on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Surrealistic pilow. I like that folk-rock-based psychedelia combined with the 3 minute pop sound songs.The album is a perfect indicator of early west coast psychedelia and identifier of the mid to late 60's countrecultural movement-you can feel it while listening to the music. The material is both melodic and integrated in one consistent unity.However there are a couple of weak points. Every song would have been a treasure had they replaced ''D.C.B.A.''and ''How Do You Feel with '' Other Side Of This Life and ''High Flying Bird''(Good point ,redrabid).They should had been more carfeull when they made the song selection.Even ''J.P.P.Mc.Step N. Blues'' is more applicable to the album than ''How Do You Feel .Leaving out '' Go To Her'' was a flaw too.Perhaps they had too much fun during the recording sessions.

''Crown Of Creation'' is my second Favorite.

Yes, The Airplane sometimes could make you mad.
okeedoe

Postby Lilla on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:42 pm

TakeMeOnYourFlight wrote:There's some really underrated tracks on the album like Hey Frederick and Turn My Life Down.

Hey Fredrick and Turn my life down are my favourite songs from Volunteers, and they are in my top10 favourite Airplane songs. I just don't know why they are so underrated. :|
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby plasticfantastic on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 am

redrabid wrote:Surrealistic Pillow might have been their best album, if they hadn't included those three godawful songs: DCBA 25, My Best Friend and, worst of all, How Do You Feel. Those songs made the album almost unlistenable for me. So I made my own copy of that album, replacing these tracks by Go To Her, Other Side and High Flying Bird. Now that makes a very good album. They came so close to perfection, why didn't they use these tunes, that they were playing live so well, on Pillow?
The Airplane could make you mad.

Okeedoe and Redrabid, I totally agree with you... If it weren't for those three, Surrealistic Pillow would be my favorite. Those songs are most godawful. Although I must say, I think that Best Friend is worse than How Do You Feel.

I really love Jerry Garcia's guitar on Coming Back to Me. And he also came up with the album title. Honestly, somebody was very seriously pushing the title of "Honorary Seventh Airplane Member"...
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 pm

I love "DCBA" and "My Best Friend". I think the words have a secret side to them. "How Do You Feel" I could do without.
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I have to say Crown of Creation, it was my first, and a masterpiece it is.After Bathing at Baxters is a second, although there are times i have favoured it, but Crown of Creation just has that...something about it very magical.Surrealistic Pillow is good, but just not as heavy as later albums, not enough Jorma :D .A mystery for me has always been Volunteers though...just seems too scattered.I even find myself liking Bark and Long John Silver over it sometimes... :shock:
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions