What about Grace Slick ?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: What about Grace Slick ?

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:30 pm

It's difficult enough to list a personal choice. The reason I didn't put Arthur Lee in my top ten, just to take an example, is because his voice is inseparable from his words. If he hadn't written the songs he sang, would I have considered him at all? Ditto Dylan. Vocalists like Spanky McFarlane present a different problem; she was an integral part of a harmony group, and I'm not sure how I'd like her voice on its own. What I'm saying is no objective "greatest ever" is possible, and these lists only prove that the editor of Rolling Stone is thick. (To be fair, the magazine business is generally in poor shape these days, not just the Rolling Stone.)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby rbersoul90 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Ya wow! Janis Joplin was up there, So should Grace Slick!! maybe not top 10 but at least top one hundred...

my top 10 is...
1. Roger Mcquinn
2. Janis Joplin
3. Robert Plant
4. John Lennon
5. Neil Young
6. David Crosby
7. Joni Mitchell
8. David Gilmore
9. Art Garfunkel
10. Mick Jagger
rbersoul90

Postby okeedoe on Sun May 31, 2009 12:15 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:At least she's in some folks' Top 100. Here's Alex Grey's portrait of Albert Hofmann...

...and here's a detail from the painting. I'm certain that's Grace at the bottom right, though it's not a close likeness.

For Susan
http://beinart.org/modules/Word-Press/2 ... t-hofmann/
At the bottom right is Maria Sabina,Mexican Shaman and a friend of DR.Albert Hofmann. She inspired Dr. Timothy Leary to try halucinogens in the late 50's.There's an interesting story about her.
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhisattva/maria.html
http://www.dhushara.com/book/wass/wasso ... chor103515
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:50 am

I've got a picture of Maria Sabina on my bedside table. Are you sure it's her, though? The hair and sad eyebrows look right, but her brow's not that high and she didn't wear eye makeup. Maybe she's at the top behind Albert's head. I can't check because I've lent the mag to someone; not that it's that important.
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 am

I had zoomed the photograph in and admitted that your artistic eye proved you right.In distinction to woman at the top behind of Hofmann's head,woman at the bottom right,apart from her black hair, has no antropological characteristics of Mexican natives.Could I think of her as the Mountain Girl then? No ,not much resemblance neither.Anyhow,I should be more careful when trying to profess something.You intrigued me with the face on that painting so I''ll try to discover her identity.

Thank you,dear Susan.
Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 pm

It's got to be someone creative and countercultural because of the other faces in that area.
Susan Butcher

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:09 pm

But that wouldn't be fair! If it's Maria Muldaur there'd be two members of the Dead crowd, and no-one from JA! If it were my painting, there would be Grace and Paul and Jerry, and I'd probably have Syd rather than George...
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Good thinking,Susan.Syd Barrett was one of the archetypal figures of psychedelic rock scene.
okeedoe

Postby Steve on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Bob Dylan? That's a good laugh! Possibly the best songwriter of our generation, but great singer? That's funny.
Steve

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:43 pm

When someone sings their own words, it's difficult to hear just the singing.
Susan Butcher

Postby Steve on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:When someone sings their own words, it's difficult to hear just the singing.

You can always hear Dylan singing, just tough to understand what he's singing! My band does a lot of Dylan songs. Thank goodness for lyric sheets.
Steve

Postby okeedoe on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Steve,what do you think how would Dylan's songs have sounded like had he been a good singer?Maybe it would have dramaticaly changed his creativity in some other directions.Maybe he would have been less politicaly and socialy engaged during the 60's with his lyrics more or less deprived of philosophical and literary content and with different music.Perhaps his poor vocal abilities were one of the things that determined his originality.
Last edited by okeedoe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm

The roughness of Dylan's voice must have seemed "authentic" when he first came to notice, so perhaps it was appropriate for his songs. However, I prefer folk singers with strong voices. Fred Neil for example.
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:08 am

I've never liked Dylan much. I agree about Fred Neil.Imagine Slick & Dylan duet.lol What a joke that would be.
okeedoe

Postby graceslick on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 am

I'd LOVE to have heard a duet with Grace & Bob!! Actually, I'd love to have one those retrospective ones...where half the duet's sung back in like, 69 or whatever, with younger Grace and Bob, and then it cuts to clips of them now, singing the same song...older, a bit more surly and wise. lol. LOVE IT!
graceslick

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums