Question about LSD, for those who used it in the 60s

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Question about LSD, for those who used it in the 60s

Postby purplesunshine on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:03 am

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask this, I apologize if it isn't. Lately I have been really wanting to talk to, or ask this to someone who was my age in the 60s, when LSD was making such an impact on society, and the mindset of so many people. I am 21 right now. I have experimented with LSD numerous times, and it has changed my life and my entire perspective, I was suicidal until the first time I did it. It changed everything. I see the entire universe and world so differently but I've been told so many times by people that it's just the LSD, or I will grow out of this mind set, and I will regret playing with LSD, etc. I have such a hard time believing this shift in perspective is just a silly thing from a silly drug. I don't think I could ever deny the reality I know now, and just blow it off. How do you feel about LSD now, years later? Do you feel it changed your perspective and shifted your consciousness for the better? Or did you 'grow out' of the mindset it gave you? Do you look at LSD as something silly you did when you were young, or do you still recognize the value of it to the human race? I've always wanted to ask someone like Grace this question. I feel that psychedelics have made a permanant and radical impact on society, even down to the mindset of my generation, years later. LSD has changed my life, and I think if used responsibly and properly, it could change the universe, but is this something I feel just because I am young and 'silly'?
purplesunshine

Re: Question about LSD, for those who used it in the 60s

Postby Dormouse on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 am

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am around your age and haven't taken LSD, so I'm not exactly who you were looking for to answer your question, but I do have an open mind on the subject.

I too feel that if used correctly, LSD would help make the world more peaceful and understanding. However, I don't think it should be a recreational drug. There is something to be gained from it, but it should not be taken lightly. It sounds like it has helped you out quite a bit. But there should be two perspective with drugs. One for the sixties and one for now. In the sixties, LSD existed for people to gain new experiences. Now, though, it may just be a way for someone to get rich by selling impure product. The latter perspective is the lens I must view drugs through, since I did not experience the sixties. If you are looking for advice, I would say LSD has already provided you with its gift, and to follow your best judgement.

As for your question, I think it is important to understand that your mind set is yours, not a drug's and not anyone else's. LSD can not give you something you don't already have. For some people, it will allow your consciousness to understand things that would be difficult without the drug, as it has a cascade effect of chemical reactions in the brain that stimulate neurons. In this case, it serves as a catalyst for gaining understanding, not the source of understanding itself. I feel that this is enlightning in its own, as it shows what a great potential the human consciousness has with or without chemical help. Whether your mind set changes, it is up to you. It certainly would be easier to confirm into the mainstream, and you may be happier in the end. But is it true reality?

As an aside, my belief is that LSD is not a mystical substance. I have heard that people feel they have experienced God when taking LSD. This takes away from the truly amazing power of human consciousness. It is important to understand that LSD is only a chemical. However, the influence this chemical can have on the brain is profound. It is science, not supernatual. I am an atheist, and I find that I appreciate the wonders of life much more deeply than I ever could have when believing in the supernatural. Since you have had, I assume, a pretty moving experience with the drug, I would be curious as to your views on this aspect of LSD and religion.

I hope you find this place to be a welcoming environment to share ideas, attitudes, and experiences.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Dormouse on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 pm

No, not every trip is going to be nice. For some people, it will be the end of their life. LSD is dangerous, but so are a lot of other things that can be considered helpful. LSD should be studied for medical use, for brain diseases and also, very importantly, curing addictions.

But still, even if you have taken LSD many times before, something could be different the next time. There is always a risk with taking drugs in today's world.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 am

I've taken LSD, and I don't think what I experienced was entirely a delusion. But that's a subjective thing. I can't prove it to anyone. Generally, only people who've taken LSD think that LSD produces genuine religious experiences, but this belief can last decades after a dose. And I'm sure that isn't because people were awfully silly back in the Sixties.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:52 pm

True. According to some Christians, if you have a religious experience while being baptised, let's say, then that's great, but if it happens when you're not in church, look out! It could be one of Satan's evil tricks!
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:17 am

And what's the universe like,little purplesunshine?

I haven't seen the universe,I only saw the depths of my abyss,with all the demons in it.I was in the saddest and loneliest place in the world.Was it just a bad trip or I've seen the truth? The truth about one segment of my life.I'll tell you about it sometime.
okeedoe

Postby okeedoe on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 am

It's a pity you weren't born during the Spanish inquisition.CD.They would have found a numerous suitable jobs for you ,back then.
Last edited by okeedoe on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:52 pm

That's the big question, OKD. Are you merely seeing yourself, or is it really a glimpse of something bigger? I don't expect a definitive answer to that in my lifetime, but personal experience suggests "a bit of both". But the fear is definitely all in my head!
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm definitely with you on that,dear Susan.It has got to be "a bit of both",because we are the part of ''something bigger''.When we discover the roots of our fears and learn how to manage them in the right way ,fears will be no longer the holdbacks but one of the pointers in our path of finding out what that ''something ''is.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Put more succinctly, "Riders of the rainbow, let it grow..."
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes,you are wise,Susan.In contrast to me.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Oh, come on! Give yourself some credit!
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:43 am

Heya

I don't think you'd change THE universe. I think if you took LSD you would change YOUR universe greatly though.
graceslick

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:39 am

It might amount to the same thing as far as the person is concerned, GS. From the outside such a person might seem a bit mad to the casual observer, but from the inside... !
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:15 am

Well yeah, true.

Technically, insofar as we need to understand/feel it, the universe is 100% subjective anyway, depending on who's experiencing it...so if your universe is altered, then so too is THE universe, isn't it?

I think I just meant in terms of THE universe, your own personal experiences won't change anything for anyone else...except of course if they witness you acting like a total loon. lol
graceslick

Next

Return to Open Forums