That Horrible Commerical

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

That Horrible Commerical

Postby Steve8838 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:41 pm

How could you guys let them use that song for a financial services commercial. As a child of the 60's, I am disappointed to say the least. It's pretty laughable if you think about it too much

Steve
Steve8838

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 pm

Kind of reminds me of an elderly English teacher I had in high school, who, in a hopeless attempt at being "hip", would say things like "That answer is right on" - carefully enunciating the words "right", pause, "on", as opposed to the way the students said "rightonman..."

I find it downright hysterical that a song inspired by a garbage truck is used to represent a financial institution. :P Too bad they didn't pick "We Can Be Together", I can just picture someone playing that during an annual company stockhoders meeting and getting to the part where it says "up against the wall, motherfucker"...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Serena on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:51 pm

which song is which commercial? :?
Serena

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:49 am

E* Trade financial services uses Volunteers in their stupid television ad
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Don Rico on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:58 am

No brand names please...
Don Rico

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:44 pm

I have not seen the ad on tv for some time now. They are now busy ripping off Blondies Heart of Glass i think ...
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby gTarFreak on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:49 am

Been hearing the Allman Brothers' "Melissa" in an ad for a cellphone service. Can't figure out what it has to do with cellphones and very annoyed that I don't get to hear the whole thing... :evil:

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby jimihendrix on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:32 pm

haha :D
jimihendrix

Postby bornxeyed on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:02 pm

have you heard the yardbirds over,under, sideways down for a truck commercial ,they ruined it!
bornxeyed

Postby freakmeout on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:46 am

I have to say I've never seen this ad.

"Up against the wall motherfuckers!" in a commercial would've been fantastic though.
freakmeout

Postby Guest on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:04 pm

freakmeout wrote:I have to say I've never seen this ad.

"Up against the wall motherfuckers!" in a commercial would've been fantastic though.

Given Volunteers is an E*Trade ad, maybe that line could be used for the Republican congressional campaign in 2006.

Postby Tor on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:58 am

This is a difficult issue, and I agree that it is totally fucked to see volunteers in a commercial. As I wrote in A-deck:

I suppose I'd be dismayed to see *any* airplane song being used to hawk some product and join in the materialist gangbang... but volunteers of all things just seems like a real kick in the balls.. seeing that song being used as bait to lure people to buy expensive designer clothing that beautiful people wear... stings a little. .. it just seems in such stark contrast to much of what I percieved the airplane to be about..

I guess my feelings boil down to my conviction that the sentiments expressed in volunteers and other songs are still very much relevant and important and inspiring in these times, and seeing the song in a tommy hillfiger ad seems to cheapen and corrupt the message somewhat, especially for people who's first exposure to the song and the message will be through this unfortunate medium.

Anyway it seems Paul K is furious about the ad and didn't have a say in it.

from a deck - "According to PK, the abuse of 'Volunteers' is all down to 'Jorma and Thompson (former airplane manager)' and 'everything is Jorma's fault'."
Tor

Sour groups...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 am

Didn't Paul Kantner get sued by former Airplane members for touring under the name "Jefferson Airplane" and performing "Volunteers"?
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:12 pm

I thought that you guys were talking about the new Tommy commercial with "Volunteers" in it. I hate that damn thing. "Volunteers" isn't about selling jeans to teens! I just hate seeing great songs on commericals. :roll:
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Postby freakmeout on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:17 pm

RememberWhat theDarmaSays wrote:I thought that you guys were talking about the new Tommy commercial with "Volunteers" in it. I hate that damn thing. "Volunteers" isn't about selling jeans to teens! I just hate seeing great songs on commericals. :roll:

I very much agree with you.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions