Books

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Books

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 pm

This topic is about books of, or pertaining to, or mentioning Jefferson Airplane.

I recently found a copy of 'The Greening of America' by Charles Reich, a scholarly bestseller from 1970. Reich thought that if people just calmed down, smoked dope, and listened to rock music, America would be a better place. (OK, there's more to the book than that, but Reich obviously loved the hippies.) Jefferson Airplane are mentioned several times, but Reich doesn't say anything specific about them other than mentioning their "radicalism".
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Re: Books

Postby okeedoe on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:06 am

Last edited by okeedoe on Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Hello OKD, and the rest of you 'Planiacs!

'Rock Encylopedia' by Lilian Roxon, 1969. (Yes, that's her real name.) This reference book contains possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said about Jefferson Airplane:

"Years, or maybe centuries from now, someone will discover that there really was a music of the spheres, and it will sound not unlike the music the Airplane plays in the moments of its highest flight."
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:22 am

Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:22 am

"1969" - seems strange to me that the person who wrote this book was still in nappies at that time. That's probably unfair of me. Can't be bad if they think "We Can Be Together" was the song of the year rather than "Sugar Sugar".
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:26 am

I've got Grace's autobiography (of course!), the biog written by Barbara Rowes, and apart from the JA books mentioned above, also Don't You Want Somebody to Love by her bro in-law.
graceslick

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

I hope I don't get on the shit list for this! Christian reading recommended for those with a black sense of humour; 'The Big Beat: A Rock Blast' by Frank Garlock, Bob Jones University Press, 1971. A sample quote - "The Jefferson Airplane is as filthy a group as can be found anywhere. They are noted for their obscene gestures, words, and songs... but many Christian parents who are too spineless, weak-kneed, and timid to control their children will let their youngsters play the sensual, filthy, suggestive music of the devil's disciples by the hour without even knowing what these records are actually about." Actually, I'm not sure that Garlock knows any more than these silly parents. His interpretation of "blasphemer" Dylan's lyrics are completely loopy.
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 pm

In my younger days ,I often tried to denie the basic Christian values but it would always end without any success.I guess those values are rooted deep within me as a part of
collective unconscious.(Jung)
Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Same here. I just thank God my parents weren't hell-fire fanatics. That can really fuck you up!
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 pm

So far, "Summer of Love" by Joel Selvin has a lot of things in it about Jefferson Airplane, and a few things in it about The Great Society. :)
But from what I've read in this book so far, is pretty much the same as "Got a Revolution!THe Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane" by Jeff Tamarkin...except Summer of Love has a bit more things in it I didn't really know.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 pm

'Radio Free Albemuth' by Philip Dick, 1976. Grace is mentioned twice in this, once as "groovy broad" Grace Slick (cringe!), and as 'Gracie Dandridge' of the Alexander Hamilton (Jefferson Starship, I suppose), a rock group that has recorded a song with a secret message that may save America from tyranny. Dick was a fan of Jefferson Starship.
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 am

The Hippie Apocalypse

http://www.lostmag.com/issue33/apocalypse.php

It's not a book,just a magazine article. I thought it could be worthy of mention.
Last edited by okeedoe on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby dandi on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 am

mmm .. i insanely love henry miller ( from black spring, to quite days in clichy, bith the tropics and the pink cruxifiction).
between henry miller and bukowsky. and above panofsky, aswell.
dandi

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:29 am

"I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew" by Dr Seuss. About a doomed quest for utopia, this is my favourite Seuss book. (I've been to Solla Sollew quite a few times. The problem is you can't stay there long.)
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Susan Butcher

Postby bear melter420 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 pm

fear and loathing in las vegas
"and when it gets to that fantastic note where the rabbit bites its own head off, i want you to throw that fuckin' radio in the tub with me!"
"A man came along, with a rain jacket on, a big long gun in his hand"
bear melter420

Next

Return to Open Forums