greasy heart

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

greasy heart

Postby dfram on Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 am

anyone know what the song greasy heart is about?
dfram

Postby Don Rico on Sat May 21, 2005 8:32 pm

"He's just had his hair done and he wants to use your wig

He's goin' off the drug thing 'cause his veins are getting big

He wants to sell his paintings but the market is so SLOOOOW

They're only paying him two grams now

For a one-man abstraction..."

:shock:
Don Rico

Postby Don Rico on Sat May 21, 2005 8:33 pm

You tell me, holmes...
Don Rico

Postby Guest on Sun May 29, 2005 8:04 am

The first verse is about women who wear too much makeup and fill themselves so completely with physical vanity there's no room for a personality.

The second is about artsy pretentious people who do things like scribble a few dots on an oven mitt with cherry juice and call it magnificent, and then call Van Gogh a hack. You know the types.

The whole song, I think, is basically Gracie bitching about artificial, shallow, uninteresting people who go through their whole lives pretending to be something more than they are, hence the "Don't even change people... even if you can" chorus. And the "Laugh so hard you crack the walls line" probably is like, calling all these people she's writing about a big joke, sort of bashing them for taking themselves far more seriously than they should.

Anyway, that's my two cents. While we're talking about Greasy Heart, is there a piano on the studio version buried in the mix somewhere, or am I imagining it?

Postby Grace on Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:13 am

it might be about a guy who likes grugs a tad bit tooo much :lol:
The Smashing Pumpkins
Grace

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:48 pm

Well, according to Got A Revolution...., the book by Jeff Tamarkin, "Greasy Heart" is a dig at what Grace perceives as the shallowness of women who buy into the manufactured myth of femininity, whose lives follow a script written by men. So, you guys were on the right track! 8)
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Greast heart

Postby jackbass on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:59 pm

I heard two things... It was Grace's answer to Marty's Plastic Fantastic Lover, written to his television set, no less. SHE said it's about her... and the middle-class attitudes of the time. If you can't take the '60s hippie lifestyle and everything that goes with it, don't every try... there's no halfway, it's all or nothing!

They're only payin' him two grams now, for a one-man abstract show!
jackbass

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions