Defending My Grace Obsession

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Defending My Grace Obsession

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 am

This is just a quick note in response to someone’s apparent opinion that certain people on this forum’s obsession with Grace is sad and unhealthy…

Don Rico (and whomever else happens to agree with him) – I agree that CD seems to be unnaturally obsessed with Grace. That is not the subject of this post.

Please do not group me in with CD. I am obsessed with Grace, sure. I think several of us here. I think relative newcomer Psychedelic Rabbit, for example, is obsessed with Grace, and that is fine. I know that my obsession is not unhealthy, and it certainly does not take over my entire life. It enriches my life. It adds to it. It makes certain aspects of it more pleasurable and enjoyable than if I did not have this interest and obsession. I’m sure Psychedelic Rabbit is the same. I do have a life. This is why I, unlike CD, do not spend much of my time starting odd threads and posting strange things on here.

One other thing I will add is that this is the place to express our communal enjoyment and perhaps obsession, with JA as a band, the music and its members. How do you know that someone like me, someone who comes across is unnaturally obsessed in your opinion, uses this forum as my ONLY outlet for this interest? I don’t attend groups, meetings, I don’t have any real life friends who even really know who JA or Grace even ARE. I come here as a place I can go to express my interest/obsession about this ONE part of my life in general.

Don’t judge people when you know nothing about them.
graceslick

Re: Defending My Grace Obsession

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:18 am

Haha, I passed my obsession stage ages ago.
I'm not obsessed with Grace, not at all. Obsession has way to many negative aspects to go along with it, anyway.

What I am is madly in love with her. In fact, here is something you can read that describes my feelings (to the best of my ability to use words) for Grace. http://insanepsychotic.livejournal.com/58126.html

It might be hard to understand that I am in love with Grace, someone I don't know in person. But I can assure you, it is entirely possible to fall in love with Grace. I have done it, am doing it, and it's fantastic.

So, obsession isn't a word I'd use.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 am

I love Paul, and I love Grace. (I hope you hippies know the kind of love I mean!) It's because I love their music. I feel that way about other musicians, too, some I've met, and some I'll never meet. Ditto artists. Sometimes I'm obsessed, but it comes and goes. I think obsession can be useful if you're a creative person, because you need to feel strongly enough about somebody or something to get you through the hard work of creation. And being inspired by another person's art is mixed up with obsession, too, perhaps even possession (in the Voodoo sense of the word). I don't think this is necessarily unhealthy, as long you know the mental territory.
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:53 pm

Susan, I’ve had other “obsessions” in my life too…Stevie Nicks was a big one, and I was lucky enough to get to see her live in concert 3 times (once with Fleetwood Mac when they toured in 2004 and twice during her solo tour in 2006…I think it was 2006…yeah). My partner loves her too and met her several times back in 1979 during the Tusk tour (my partner’s considerably older than me for anyone wondering how someone the same age as me, a 29 year old, could meet Stevie Nicks in 1979!), and they talked before a concert for about an hour and then later Stevie remembered her and shouted/waved to her, picking her out of the crowd, and also on the last concert in Brisbane, dedicated Landslide to her. HOW AMAZING IS THAT!?)

I’ve also loved Marianne Faithfull, she’s excellent. We saw her live in 2003 and met her afterwards out the side of the venue. We and about 8 other people chatted with her for about 30 minutes and we all got kisses on the cheek. Heheh.

From 2000 to 2003 or so I was obsessed with Kate Bush. I still love her but the obsession has gone now. I’ve grown out of her and into Stevie and now Grace.

Psychedelic Rabbit, WOW. Just WOW. Did you send that to Grace or was it just for your LiveJournal?? Do you think she actually read it if you did send it? (and if you sent it, how did you get an address for her!?) Wow. That’s quite amazing and beautiful. I understand how you feel. Possibly you’re a bit more intense than me, but I understand.

I’m also VERY glad to see that others share my love of Grace. This is one of a few places we Grace-lovers (and JA lovers obviously) are free to come and express this aspect of ourselves and our lives. That was my original point of this post. I feel happy, excited, contented and warm/fuzzy that you feel how you do, Rabbit.

This is none of my business, and obviously I’m not judging in any way since I’m gay myself, but are you gay or is Grace a sort of…separate entity in terms of feeling like this for a woman? You don’t have to answer that if you’re not comfortable!
graceslick

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Rabbit, what neck thing does Grace do when she laughs!? Lol. I may have noticed this myself but can’t think what it is…
graceslick

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm

graceslick wrote:Psychedelic Rabbit, WOW. Just WOW. Did you send that to Grace or was it just for your LiveJournal?? Do you think she actually read it if you did send it? (and if you sent it, how did you get an address for her!?) Wow. That’s quite amazing and beautiful. I understand how you feel. Possibly you’re a bit more intense than me, but I understand.

I’m also VERY glad to see that others share my love of Grace. This is one of a few places we Grace-lovers (and JA lovers obviously) are free to come and express this aspect of ourselves and our lives. That was my original point of this post. I feel happy, excited, contented and warm/fuzzy that you feel how you do, Rabbit.

This is none of my business, and obviously I’m not judging in any way since I’m gay myself, but are you gay or is Grace a sort of…separate entity in terms of feeling like this for a woman? You don’t have to answer that if you’re not comfortable!

To answer your question, I'm a lesbian. :)

I don't have her actual address, no. It's complicated, really. But she might read it, yes. I won't give out any more info. I don't want any privacy to be ruined or something. :)

LOL, Wow what? You said that a lot. Is it a good thing??

I reread my letter and I don't think it conveys the emotion, because I feel things sooo deeply. But people seem to think it's a beautiful thing I've written. :D

THE NECK THING!!! ISN'T IT CAAAAYOOOOT!?!?!? You can see her do it in the Letterman interview from '84, on Youtube. She does it quite a bit, and I think it is SO CUTE. Oh my god, i melt like the goopy mess I am. SHE MAKES ME MEEEEELT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJL_vDGEQw

*spaz*
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 pm

The Grace neck laugh thing is quite visible at the laugh Grace does at 2:03-2:06. Ish.
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJL_vDGEQw
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Your letter was touching, Rabbit. It brought a tear to my eye. I fumble for words.
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm

It was that good? Wow. That must be some letter. I didn't think I wrote it that well!

Well, thank you! A lot. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:30 pm

It was well written. But to read someone baring their soul like that... wow. It's something I could never do, not online anyway. Too many strangers watching.

As for Kate Bush, GS, after all these years I still haven't gotten over my jealousy! How could a nineteen-year-old have written such great songs?!
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:40 pm

YAY! Another gay person! Lol. Sorry for asking. I wondered a while ago but didn’t want to say, cause even though I doubted you’d be funny about it, some people are, you know? Also I’m 29 (almost 30!! On 29 Sept I will be an old biddy of 30! Wow) so I forget I’m a bit older than you and when I was 16 I didn’t know anything about the fact I was gay so would’ve found such a question quite confronting and scary. But I was a hell of a lot more immature than you at 16 I think.

Anyway, yeah, I respect her privacy too. Last year about this time I wanted to send her a birthday card but couldn’t find any address to post it to. Obviously I don’t need her actual address. I just wanted to get AN address like of her agent or something, but nobody would give it. Maybe this year I’ll just try and send a card to that Area Arts gallery thing…maybe they’d give it to her…meh. I can but try.

Yes, wow is a good thing. I was quite blown away by your blog post. It was so nice to read.

I’m just watching that interview. I’ve seen it before about 5 times. Lol. I have a Favourites folder at home with a whole list of Grace interviews and articles saved there, heheh. I love how she did that chair thing at the beginning of that (Dave) interview. Ok, I’m just looking for the bit with the neck…lol. I’m at work and it’s risky having a big You Tube screen showing on my computer…I have to make sure nobody walks by and I keep having to come back to Word and Excel and normal boring things. OH YEAH, I see what you mean! I’ve noticed that too and have always thought it’s so cute! I didn’t think of it as a neck thing though. I just thought of it as the cute laugh thing. lol. I LOVE her laugh. It’s so gorgeous. It makes my heart sort of jump/stomach drop, you know? lol

Have you seen the one where she’s the guest host of MTV or something? And she’s holding a carrot? Lol. Funny. China appears briefly on it too. If you haven’t seen it, I’ll put the link here when I get home and can find it. And have you seen the one where she’s being interviewed or is interviewing (it’s sort of more a discussion) some doctor guy about food and biomedical stuff? I’ll post that too. It’s quite long, if I recall correctly (which I may not since I am so old now and am rapidly approaching total senility). lol
graceslick

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Susan, I know, 19 year old Kate Bush was damn impressive, eh?! I still do love her, and my obsession/love was strong to the point that I actually found it quite difficult (and took about 2 years) to admit to myself that my obsession had waned and had slowly been replaced by Stevie. Lol. I’ve still got all of Kate’s songs in my MP3 player though. Including off the new album. I’ve also still got a heap of old videos of various (some rare) TV appearances and video clips of her. I got them off Ebay years and years ago and was SO excited. Heheh. I wish someone would make something like that of Grace. God that’d be SO GOOD. I wouldn’t leave the couch ever. EVER. lol
graceslick

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm

graceslick wrote:YAY! Another gay person! Lol. Sorry for asking. I wondered a while ago but didn’t want to say, cause even though I doubted you’d be funny about it, some people are, you know? Also I’m 29 (almost 30!! On 29 Sept I will be an old biddy of 30! Wow) so I forget I’m a bit older than you and when I was 16 I didn’t know anything about the fact I was gay so would’ve found such a question quite confronting and scary. But I was a hell of a lot more immature than you at 16 I think.

Anyway, yeah, I respect her privacy too. Last year about this time I wanted to send her a birthday card but couldn’t find any address to post it to. Obviously I don’t need her actual address. I just wanted to get AN address like of her agent or something, but nobody would give it. Maybe this year I’ll just try and send a card to that Area Arts gallery thing…maybe they’d give it to her…meh. I can but try.

Yes, wow is a good thing. I was quite blown away by your blog post. It was so nice to read.

I’m just watching that interview. I’ve seen it before about 5 times. Lol. I have a Favourites folder at home with a whole list of Grace interviews and articles saved there, heheh. I love how she did that chair thing at the beginning of that (Dave) interview. Ok, I’m just looking for the bit with the neck…lol. I’m at work and it’s risky having a big You Tube screen showing on my computer…I have to make sure nobody walks by and I keep having to come back to Word and Excel and normal boring things. OH YEAH, I see what you mean! I’ve noticed that too and have always thought it’s so cute! I didn’t think of it as a neck thing though. I just thought of it as the cute laugh thing. lol. I LOVE her laugh. It’s so gorgeous. It makes my heart sort of jump/stomach drop, you know? lol

Have you seen the one where she’s the guest host of MTV or something? And she’s holding a carrot? Lol. Funny. China appears briefly on it too. If you haven’t seen it, I’ll put the link here when I get home and can find it. And have you seen the one where she’s being interviewed or is interviewing (it’s sort of more a discussion) some doctor guy about food and biomedical stuff? I’ll post that too. It’s quite long, if I recall correctly (which I may not since I am so old now and am rapidly approaching total senility). lol

LOL. Yeah, I'm 16. But I look inside myself and understand myself better than some people ever will understand who they are. Questioning how I feel about things and whatnot comes really easily to me. I do it a lot, and looking deep inside myself, subconciously, is a very easy thing for me to do.
I'll be 17 on November 15th. (Yay, a Scorpio is I!)

It blew you away? How? Why? Tell me what you feel about it. I love getting to understand other peoples emotions. And this makes me curious. Tell me more about how you feel about my emotions for/letter to Grace.

Ohhh god, she makes me melt daily. Stomachs fall, heart race or simply stop beating because they've been beating so hard..turning into a pile of mush over Gracie, daily. And it's the most fantastic thing I've ever felt. I'm crazy about her. I've never felt this deeply for anyone in my life. I've never been so protective of anyone in my entire life, and never been so concerned for how someone is feeling. It's soooo amazing and it's such...bliss. It truly is. I've never been this in love before. Grace has got my heart. It's so true. She does.

I saw the video where she was hosting the MTV VJ thing!! OMG, SHE IS SO ADOREABLE. I love it. She looks so beautiful, and she's so cute and funny. Awwww. *melts*
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Dormouse on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Defending your Grace obsession!?! Why would you need to do that?!

I guess you could say I am obsessed with Grace. For me, she is the epitome of the sixties. Every beautiful idea, feeling, and thought that the sixties gave birth to is represented by her.

It might sound strange, but it feels like Grace's soul is carried with her voice. Just by listening to her sing, you seem to know everything about her. It is like connecting to another person through a different dimension.

I still think of Grace as she was in the sixties, and regret I could not live through that time. If that means I live in a sixties bubble, then so be it.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby graceslick on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Rabbit, you know what I find bad? That you feel so strongly for Grace (and I do too), and yet…it sucks cause nothing can ever come of it, you know? I think this is where my obsession goes a bit…not so enjoyable for me anymore, because sometimes I get SO overwhelmed with it that I find it actually really painful that I can’t be her friend or whatever. I SO want to just meet her. But unless I can win the lottery and get enough money to fly to America and then go to one of her gallery showings, that’s just not gonna happen.

I keep having daydream things that she moves in next door…lol. Earlier this year I was walking along the beach (I live 5 houses from the beach and this sort of Malibu-esque type street that goes along the beachfront) and I was just gazing up at all the rich houses, and I wished that on one of the balconies Grace would appear, painting, and she’d notice me and call me over and we’d have lunch…lol. How sad am I?

(do you wonder if you’ll ever meet anyone who you actually want to be with in real life, because Grace has your heart but you can’t have her? That’s sort of something else I find bad about my love for Grace. I can’t ever really seriously have it fulfilled for so many reasons…she’s not gay, she’s not anywhere near me, she may not even like me if she did meet me, and she’s 39 years older than me!!)

Yeah, that MTV thing is so cute, with the carrot! I love how right at the beginning she’s talking and then she points it at the screen and then looks down as if realising for the first time she’s actually holding a carrot. Lol. I also love how in her book (this is sort of related, bear with me!) she carried around that sweet potato at the party. Heheh. Such a cutie.

I find it sort of interesting how so many people think she’s scary or not very nice. I think she is SUCH a nice person. I hope I’m not wrong and I highly doubt I am, but I really do think she’s a really sweet, kind person. Not when she would be drunk perhaps, but normally yes. Even my partner (who also loves her) thinks she’d be quite scary, but I don’t think so.

I don’t know what I can really say about reading your blog entry…it’s just so good to read about someone else’s strong feelings for someone I also love, you know?

Hey Doormouse, thanks for your post. I was just addressing Don Rico’s post and apparent feelings that people who are obsessed with Grace are sad and lame and have no life, etc.

Oh man, I WISH I could go back in time and be in the 60s and be friends with Grace and hang out and all that…*swoon* God she was so hot. lol
graceslick

Next

Return to Open Forums