A Slice of Heaven in Southern Ohio, The Fur Peace Ranch

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

A Slice of Heaven in Southern Ohio, The Fur Peace Ranch

Postby cincygroove on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Conceived in 1989 by Jorma & Vanessa Kaukonen, The Fur Peace Ranch is nestled in the rolling foothills of southeast Ohio.

In 1989, Jorma and Vanessa Kaukonen looked at a piece of land in Meigs and conceived what Jorma calls "a ranch that grows guitar players." Not a fantasy camp, but this would be a place where both budding and seasoned musicians could immerse themselves for several days, and emerge with renewed inspiration and tangible progress in their music.

Vanessa Kaukonen was kind enough to talk with me about what the Fur Peace Ranch is all about:

http://www.cincygroove.com/?q=node/222

Scott
cincygroove

Re: A Slice of Heaven in Southern Ohio, The Fur Peace Ranch

Postby Dormouse on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks for the links, and welcome to the forum.

I am not a guitar player, but I know some members here are, so I think they will find the information interesting as well!
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Meredyth Raye on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:41 am

:arrow:
Last edited by Meredyth Raye on Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meredyth Raye

Postby Meredyth Raye on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:38 am

:arrow:
Last edited by Meredyth Raye on Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meredyth Raye

Postby Meredyth Raye on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:03 am

thanks, Ive been to the sites but I get lazy to read though
Meredyth Raye

Postby Ensign on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:40 pm

I am a "repeat offender" at the Fur Peace Ranch. I know this is an older thread, but I am going back to the Ranch this summer and am getting juiced up about it so I thought I'd make a new entry here. If you are a player, esp. guitar or bass (although other instruments are sometimes taught), the Ranch is a mecca. I play bass guitar, and have had GREAT lessons from Mr. Casady, as well as Oteil, Byron House, Marc Egan and Johnny Castle.
The music, camaraderie, location/scenery, and, yes the FOOD, are wonderful.
When I began going there in 1999, I was fairly new to the bass and I was very nervous about trying to play in front of Jack, as well as about meeting Jorma and Vanessa. As it turned out, there was no reason at all to be nervous. They were all very friendly, instructors and staff alike, and accepting of all skill levels, .
If you play, and are curious, consider going to FPR. It's highly recommended!
My favorite weekend at the Ranch is the annual Pick 'n' Putt session, in which we ride motorcycles as well as play music. It's coming up on Sept. 11 - 14 this year.
Ensign

Postby Ensign on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:36 pm

I am going back to Fur Peace Ranch this weekend for the 8th Annual Pick 'n' Putt weekend. This time the bass class will be led by bluesman Bob Stroger (http://www.furpeaceranch.com/instructor ... roger.html).
The weekend concert will feature Hubert Sumlin, guitarist for the late, great Howlin' Wolf, and Bob Margolin, guitarist for Muddy Waters.
Ridin' and playin' - the two best things you can do with your clothes on!
Hey Roman - maybe see you there?
Ensign

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:44 am

Meredyth Raye wrote: My mom went to college near there, she said there was a lot of marijuana farmers down there too. ho ho ho ho~ 8) tshades

I understand they're kinda adament about not smoking, or even drinking while at the guitar camp.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Ensign on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:50 pm

That is correct - alcohol and illegal drugs are not allowed.

It was a great weekend. Bob Stroger, Jorma, Bob Margolin and Geoff Atchison were the instructors. Hubert Sumlin joined in for the Saturday evening concert. I sat directly in front of his amplifier. Might have been a mistake... heh heh. (He was wonderful!)
Ensign

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:58 am

Ensign wrote:That is correct - alcohol and illegal drugs are not allowed.

It was a great weekend. Bob Stroger, Jorma, Bob Margolin and Geoff Atchison were the instructors. Hubert Sumlin joined in for the Saturday evening concert. I sat directly in front of his amplifier. Might have been a mistake... heh heh. (He was wonderful!)

Our friend here, Dave (GTar Freak) sent me a DVD of Geoff in concert - nice guitar work! I don't think Dave has posted here in some time, but he visits the ranch regularly.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby bodegahwy on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:53 am

I have been to the Ranch 5 times in the last 10 years. Each visit has been a plateau breaker for me as a player. The first, third and fifth times that I went, I was in Jorma's class. The other visits, I had Rory Block and Roy Book Binder as instructors. In each case, I was able to take home some new techique, guitar vocabulary, material and inspiration.

On my last vist, my daughter went with me and took a class from Jack on electric bass. Not only did she learn a lot, it was the best four days I have ever spent with my teenage daughter.

Thanks Vanessa, John and Jorma to all my fellow students.
bodegahwy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions