The ultimate song?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Or else maybe:

"THE BALLAD OF YOU & ME AT THE HOUSE OF POONEIL CORNERS"

Yeah... That's the one!!!

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby AroriboriALICE on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:02 pm

My ultimate favorites are White rabbit (Surreal Pillow), Triad (Crown Of Creation), Rock me baby (Bless it's pointed) and Bear Melt (Bless it's pointed) these are those songs that I still can't get over no matter how many times I listen to them!
Lot's of love to all you J AirHeads :wink:
Live the life you love and love the life you live.
AroriboriALICE

Postby pooneil1988 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 pm

Hey I'm new here! I'm a 19 year old from Argentina and I don't know a lot of people who listen to the Airplane, but it has been my favorite band since I was 16.

My favorite songs are The Ballad of you and me and pooneil, House at pooneil corners, crown of creation, last wall of the castle, eskimo blue day and rejoyce, just to name a few because I love most of their songs.
greetings!!
pooneil1988

Postby Dormouse on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Pooneil1988, and welcome to the forum!

Check in often and enjoy the trip with the Airplane! :D
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Rüdi on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:45 am

Hi and Hello to Argentina.

19 is really young for an airplane-fan. That´s good !
Enjoy the music.
Which CDs (LPs) have you heared by now ?
Never argue with a german
Rüdi

Only 2 songs that repeatedly brought tears to my eyes..

Postby recursive prophet on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:54 am

I have probably listened to War Movie literally thousands of times since the first time I heard it in 1968. I continue to do so, though a few years back I finally got to where I didn't choke up somewhat at the end. "So until we meet again, touch our hands, together, in another land."

There is only one song even close to War Movie on my list of all time favorite songs, and it's from the same album; Lawman. Grace Slick is also my number 1 vocalist. What a group of talent to come together and enrich so many young lives. Alas, their vision for the future was never realized. I guess the main reason I signed up here tonight was simply to thank them for all the music-a lifetime ago-that is likely still being heard by so many.

The 'old hands' such as myself can no longer 'move around,' and there will be no meeting in the Garden in this life. But thanks for the hope and the ideals, and perhaps the children at some point will stop letting it slide and truly get the Sun Guns on the run. Hiding from 'the other side' is such a sad way to live. Whenever will the rock be rolled around?
Trust me. The statement below is true.
What I wrote above is absolutely false.
recursive prophet

Postby Liquid Crystal on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:24 am

I thought 'War Movie' came out on Bark, in 1971. How'd you hear it in 1968? But that IS a great song, near the top of the list.

However, barring mood swings and tastes for something different...for some reason I keep coming back to their version of 'Tobacco Road', from their first album. Of course, saying that, I have to admit that if I actually play that album, it's a different song 'Come up the years' that ends up playing back in my head for a few days...

-=LC=-
Liquid Crystal

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:12 pm

How 'bout

LET ME IN

"..I gotta get in--You know WHERE"

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby recursive prophet on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:29 pm

My mistake, LC. I just googled it and you're right-Bark didnt come out till '71. I could have sworn it was '67. Another brain fart.
recursive prophet

Re: The ultimate song?

Postby recursive prophet on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:18 pm

This is like a time warp site. I just read the message from the fan from Argentina who may well never return, then noticed the date. So much music out there now. Yet I still listen to this seminal group, and for any of the talented members that might chance by here, you would likely be amazed at the gratitude so many feel about the music you created. It defined one of the most dynamic movements by our youth in the history of this country. Alas. One generation got old; one generation got sold. And one generation, got no education, and believed what they were told.
recursive prophet

Postby JoeD80 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:56 pm

A little note on the Volunteers quote there. The lyrics are:

"One generation got old. One generation got *soul*."

I always thought it was 'sold' too until I looked at the lyrics insert with the original LP and also confirmed "soul" in Paul Kantner's Lyrica book.

Back to the subject: "Have You Seen the Saucers?" is my favorite Airplane song. Everybody is in perfect form on the track. It's the Airplane song I listen to the most.
JoeD80

Postby recursive prophet on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Joe-I knew that-what I presented was my version. Can't believe I've never heard the 'saucers' song you mention, but then I missed a lot over the years. I'll try and find it.
recursive prophet

Postby psychhead on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:54 pm

JoeD80 wrote:A little note on the Volunteers quote there. The lyrics are:

"One generation got old. One generation got *soul*."

I always thought it was 'sold' too until I looked at the lyrics insert with the original LP and also confirmed "soul" in Paul Kantner's Lyrica book.

Back to the subject: "Have You Seen the Saucers?" is my favorite Airplane song. Everybody is in perfect form on the track. It's the Airplane song I listen to the most.

That song is the essence of psychedelia!! :)

Robert.
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby JoeD80 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:50 pm

recursive prophet wrote:Joe-I knew that-what I presented was my version.

Only mentioned it because that's what I always thought the lyric really was.

recursive prophet wrote:Can't believe I've never heard the 'saucers' song you mention, but then I missed a lot over the years. I'll try and find it.

There's a live version on "Thirty Seconds Over Winterland" and the studio version is on the "Early Flight" album.
JoeD80

Postby rbersoul90 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm

My favorite JA song is "The Ballad of You Me and Pooneil" I probably like the live versions better because Jack Cassidy does some lengthy base solos and Jorma rips up some crazy solos in the song. All in all the song gives each of the band members a chance to shine i beleive so it's like the ultimate JA song.

freakmeout wrote:My personal favorites are "The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" (live long version on Baxter's bonus tracks) and "We Can Be Together".

Songs that REALLY let everyone in the band show off what they can do, and with fantastic results!

My Second favorite is the song "Bear Melt" as it was called on "Bless it's Pointed Little Head" I've also seen it called "Thing" on their Live at the Fillmore East 1968 album. This song is a sweet Airplane jam. I love Cassidy's Heavy Bass sound and Jorma and Paul Kantner provide great guitar to the song. And it is kind of a dark psychedelic kind of thing.

My Third is "The House at Pooneil Corners" the song is dark, anti-politics, and apocolyptic and at the same time, odd, far-out and compelling. The opening bass line to the song is also really awsome.

My other favorites include, "That's the Other Side of this Life", "Plastic Fantastic Lover" and "Eskimo Blue Day"
rbersoul90

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions