Best JA related studio-albums after/at 1970

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Best JA related albums around 1970

Manhole (Grace Slick, 1974)
8%
Bark (JA, 1971)
8%
Blows Against The Empire (Kantner, 1970)
47%
Baron von Tollbooth (Kantner/Slick/Frieberg, 1972?)
8%
Sunfighter (Kantner/Slick, 1971)
8%
Long John Silver (JA, 1972)
19%

Total votes : 36

Postby Indian Summer on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:55 am

:) Seems that Chasin'Destiny reacted quicker by posting the liner notes.
Anyway, if I can serve in another way, please ask.
Music requests or whatever...

Talking about this topic; there is a list available of Perro related records on my Rateyourmusic site.

http://rateyourmusic.com/~MarGroningen

For requests, please check my collection
Indian Summer

Bodacious!

Postby rcitino on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:18 pm

You know, as a long time airplane/starship/manhole etc etc fan, I have to say that I loved ALL these albums. Even the ones that were, well, uneven, stil had enough sheer moments to put them head shoulders abovce most anythin else. But I'll also add this: Marty's album with Bodacious DF was really pretty damn good. A song like "Twixt Two Worlds" showed the guy's amazing pipes as much as anything he ever did with JA/JS.

Now, about that Joe E. Covington album, or Jack Traylor and Steelwind...
rcitino

Postby Dormouse on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33 pm

Welcome to the Airplane forum!! Enjoy the trip! :D
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Re: Bodacious!

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:31 pm

rcitino wrote:Now, about that Joe E. Covington album, or Jack Traylor and Steelwind...

Yes indeed! WELCOME!!!

Now tell us what you mean?

WHAT do those three albums really sound like???

I have never heard them!
I saw Peter Kaukonen BLACK KANGAROO in a used-records-store once but the cover art was so gruesome that I sort of slunked away from it without checking it out...

But WHAT do those other GRUNT releases sound like huh!?!?!?!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Re: Best JA related studio-albums after/at 1970

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Can you post albums?If so, can someone post the Bodacious DF album??Cant find it anywhere and have to resort to downloading off the net, and cant even find it there!Would LOVE to hear that album!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Re: Bodacious!

Postby JoeD80 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:
rcitino wrote:Now, about that Joe E. Covington album, or Jack Traylor and Steelwind...

But WHAT do those other GRUNT releases sound like huh!?!?!?!

I haven't heard Joey's or Steelwind's album but I rather enjoyed "1" with Reality D. Blipcrotch and company. It's a lot of instrumental/East Indian influenced stuff and I think it's actually quite nice to listen to when I want to relax.
JoeD80

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Another great one (if you want to expand the topic a little bit to live albums) is Hot Tuna's Double Dose. Really fantastic album. Also, I personally love LJS. I think it has some of Grace's best vocals, and possibly Jorma's best song for Jefferson Airplane.

But I'm partial to Blows Against the Empire, which by the way, I've just realized can be abbreviated as BATE. How cool is that? Well, it's the little things that amuse me.:D
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:16 am

I dont consider Bark or LJS part of that list, because they are Airplane albums.Not related.And when i think about it, although some vocals on LJS could have been done better, Aerie (Gang of Eagles) is amazing in every way, truely one of Graces best.And Blows Against the Empire(or BATE, i call it Empire) I think is an amazing album.I dont know why i always forget about it though, i just forget about it, although its the only solo/related album i got, which is on vinyl.I believe its Pauls songwritting peak.If it had been an Airplane album, it could have been their best.Seriously...What If.So i think BATE/Empire is my favourite of the related albums, but excluding Bark and LJS.

PS: On When The Earth Moves Again, did anyone slightly hear Marty at the end??The harmonies are Grace, Paul and i believe some Jorma, but at the very end theres a voice i hear that sounds like no one else, closest being Marty, and sounds quite like Marty.It was recorded two months before he left the sessions, so theres a chance he was on it.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Steve on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 am

Too bad we can't vote for 1975's America's Choice by Hot Tuna. That's a smoking album.
Steve

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Oh hell yeah!I freakin' love that album.I love all the Hot Tuna albums, specially the Rampage era.But if we put Hot Tuna albums on here we would have to put Jefferson Starship.But that would be an interesting poll, all albums released by members of JA after Volunteers.

edit - Ok I swear to God i hear Marty on When the Earth moves Again.I can faintly hear him throughout the song, very quitely, like it was mixed less loudly, so when innitially hearing it people wouldnt think he was there because hes not on the rest of the album and he was gone.But i swear i hear him!It would only make sense.Because he was showing up to the sessions until April 1971, and the song was recorded before then.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:edit - Ok I swear to God i hear Marty on When the Earth moves Again.I can faintly hear him throughout the song, very quitely, like it was mixed less loudly, so when innitially hearing it people wouldnt think he was there because hes not on the rest of the album and he was gone.But i swear i hear him!It would only make sense.Because he was showing up to the sessions until April 1971, and the song was recorded before then.

Weird! I've never noticed that.

I can swear that I can hear him on Mau Mau on Blows Against the Empire, but I think that's just my imagination.

EDIT: Question: Who WAS singing that track, because aside from Grace and Paul, I think I also hear Marty, Joey Covington, and David Crosby... They can't all be on there, right? The only other credited vocalist on Mau Mau is Joey Covington, but I'm positive there are more people than that.
plasticfantastic

Postby JoeD80 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:PS: On When The Earth Moves Again, did anyone slightly hear Marty at the end??The harmonies are Grace, Paul and i believe some Jorma, but at the very end theres a voice i hear that sounds like no one else, closest being Marty, and sounds quite like Marty.It was recorded two months before he left the sessions, so theres a chance he was on it.

I'm not sure which voice you are referring to, but if it's the "oh-oh-oh" in the background, that's Jorma, and the "Moses, Moses" line is sung by Paul.

plasticfantastic wrote:I can swear that I can hear him on Mau Mau on Blows Against the Empire, but I think that's just my imagination.

EDIT: Question: Who WAS singing that track, because aside from Grace and Paul, I think I also hear Marty, Joey Covington, and David Crosby... They can't all be on there, right? The only other credited vocalist on Mau Mau is Joey Covington, but I'm positive there are more people than that.

On Mau Mau it's just Paul & Joey (and Grace at the beginning).. Paul and Joey recorded background vocals separately, so that's why there's multiple voices.
JoeD80

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Seriously? That's crazy! Thanks.
plasticfantastic

Postby Ensign on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

My vote is for Phosphorescent Rat. Great songs, great playing, and lovely mix of acoustic and electric, which is always a plus for me.
Ensign

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm

I'd say Blows, if I haven't already said it. You're right, if it was a JA album, it would be one of the best. Some people think it's pretentious, and I can sort of see why, but it sounds so good it makes my hair stand on end. As for the others, second best would depend on my mood, but Bark would certainly be last. I don't know when I'll listen to that one again.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions