Best JA related studio-albums after/at 1970

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Best JA related albums around 1970

Manhole (Grace Slick, 1974)
8%
Bark (JA, 1971)
8%
Blows Against The Empire (Kantner, 1970)
47%
Baron von Tollbooth (Kantner/Slick/Frieberg, 1972?)
8%
Sunfighter (Kantner/Slick, 1971)
8%
Long John Silver (JA, 1972)
19%

Total votes : 36

Postby goodshepherd90 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Long John Silver was the better of the Airplane records post 1970. That is an album that I think the more you listen to it...the better it sounds. Far better than Bark and has somekind of direction as far as sound goes. The real winners of the album? Eat Starch Mom first and foremost, followed by Trial By Fire (my favorite Jorma song), Long John Silver, Milk Train and Aerie. Of the Kantner tunes, the only one really worth listening to is Twilight Double Leader. Alexander The Medium is o.k but The Son Of Jesus and Easter are nearly unlistenable if you ask me.
goodshepherd90

Postby Steve on Wed May 02, 2007 11:09 am

goodshepherd90 wrote:Long John Silver was the better of the Airplane records post 1970. That is an album that I think the more you listen to it...the better it sounds. Far better than Bark and has somekind of direction as far as sound goes. The real winners of the album? Eat Starch Mom first and foremost, followed by Trial By Fire (my favorite Jorma song), Long John Silver, Milk Train and Aerie. Of the Kantner tunes, the only one really worth listening to is Twilight Double Leader. Alexander The Medium is o.k but The Son Of Jesus and Easter are nearly unlistenable if you ask me.

I believe Easter is a Grace song. On "The Bastard Son of Jesus" you can clearly hear where if offending word was poorly edited out. The full lyrics were sung in concert.
Steve

Best Jefferson Airplane Album After 1970

Postby Junior on Mon May 21, 2007 8:25 pm

THE NEXT ONE
How many fingers am I holding?
Junior

Postby psychhead on Tue May 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Steve wrote:
goodshepherd90 wrote:Long John Silver was the better of the Airplane records post 1970. That is an album that I think the more you listen to it...the better it sounds. Far better than Bark and has somekind of direction as far as sound goes. The real winners of the album? Eat Starch Mom first and foremost, followed by Trial By Fire (my favorite Jorma song), Long John Silver, Milk Train and Aerie. Of the Kantner tunes, the only one really worth listening to is Twilight Double Leader. Alexander The Medium is o.k but The Son Of Jesus and Easter are nearly unlistenable if you ask me.

I believe Easter is a Grace song. On "The Bastard Son of Jesus" you can clearly hear where if offending word was poorly edited out. The full lyrics were sung in concert.

:D Thanx for the info.
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Best Jefferson Airplane Album After 1970

Postby Junior on Fri May 25, 2007 5:09 pm

I always thought the line in Easter? which went "no more nails in the holy legs, no more brains in the Christian," should have went "no more nails in the holy legs, no more brains in the Christian heads."
See that would have been a better metric.
The songs like that are maybe supposed to piss some people off
How many fingers am I holding?
Junior

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun May 27, 2007 9:54 pm

psychhead wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:There was a poll recently that asked us fans what we consider to be the greatest JA album.
Unfortunately the solo records are not included...
I just listened to 'Blows Against The Empire' and 'Tollbooth' and was overwhelmed by the quality of those records.
There are even better than most Airplane records, but strangely most of us don't even have them.

:D Personally speaking, I guess JA was Grace and the other members always!!

Yeah well...

You MAY be surprised to know that JEFFERSON AIRPLANE existed for a full TWO YEARS before Grace was hijacked from THE GREAT SOCIETY to join JA.

Don't get me wrong-- I LOVE Grace Slick. She gave the band the "commercial" appeal that they lacked, for sure.

BUTT there was a JEFFERSON before AND after she left the group.

Plus not only but also-- She stuck around for the ass-sucking "STARSHIP" when ALL of the original members had long-ago-since bailed.

She hence contributed to some of the worst, most unlistenable crap ever recorded...

Grace's mere presence did NOT by ANY means insure musical quality.

Listen to some of those great songs and albums without her...

Listen to some of those dog-shit songs and albums WITH her...

You decide.

:P
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby PointedLittleHead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:16 am

They all have their moments, some more than others, but Blows Against the Empire blows away the competition. It's a great album, and it's horribly underrated by the mainstream, maybe because it's theme is designed to subvert it.
PointedLittleHead

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:44 pm

Whatsmatta, Chasin' Destiny?

I never took you for a fool before!

But if you REALLY think that some of those mid-1980's "STARSHIP" albums are actually "good" JUST because Grace lends her (admittedly awesome) vocals to some of that digitally-synthesized, no-original-members (except Grace) commercialized-radio-format-sucking CRAP-ola...

Then perhaps, my friend, I did underestimate you and your "musical taste"...

Those "STARSHIP" albums suck the mighty ding-dong...

NO VALUE WHATSOEVER.

Sorry if I pissed you off but I would MUCH rather choose some Grace-less KBC Band or latter-day Grace-less JEFFERSON STARSHIP NEXT GENERATION over her lame sticking with that Mickey Thomas-led "STARSHIP" --

ANY DAY.

Why the hell do you think Paul K. and David Freiberg and Pete Sears and all the members with some sense of musical integrity had already bailed-out by 1984 or 1985???

BECAUSE THE MUSIC

SUCKED ASS

by that point!!!

Just because Grace sings does NOT mean it is worth even a cursory listen!

And this is coming from a person who MUCH loves and admires GRACE SLICK--

ESPECIALLY her present-day support of animal-rights movements (PETA, etc.)...

But those albums without Paul Kantner SUCK MIGHTY DUMPS.

And that's about it, my friend.

Sad to say the truth but it IS the TRUTH.

Yeah... And it bums me out, too.

:cry:
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:01 am

DonRico1967 wrote:
psychhead wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:There was a poll recently that asked us fans what we consider to be the greatest JA album.
Unfortunately the solo records are not included...
I just listened to 'Blows Against The Empire' and 'Tollbooth' and was overwhelmed by the quality of those records.
There are even better than most Airplane records, but strangely most of us don't even have them.

:D Personally speaking, I guess JA was Grace and the other members always!!

Yeah well...

You MAY be surprised to know that JEFFERSON AIRPLANE existed for a full TWO YEARS before Grace was hijacked from THE GREAT SOCIETY to join JA.

Don't get me wrong-- I LOVE Grace Slick. She gave the band the "commercial" appeal that they lacked, for sure.

BUTT there was a JEFFERSON before AND after she left the group.

Plus not only but also-- She stuck around for the ass-sucking "STARSHIP" when ALL of the original members had long-ago-since bailed.

She hence contributed to some of the worst, most unlistenable crap ever recorded...

Grace's mere presence did NOT by ANY means insure musical quality.

Listen to some of those great songs and albums without her...

Listen to some of those dog-shit songs and albums WITH her...

You decide.

:P

8) I guess I just love Grace's voice...could you think of anyone else singing "Today" like Grace does with the boys?! :wink: :D
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 am

DonRico1967 wrote:Whatsmatta, Chasin' Destiny?

I never took you for a fool before!

But if you REALLY think that some of those mid-1980's "STARSHIP" albums are actually "good" JUST because Grace lends her (admittedly awesome) vocals to some of that digitally-synthesized, no-original-members (except Grace) commercialized-radio-format-sucking CRAP-ola...

Then perhaps, my friend, I did underestimate you and your "musical taste"...

Those "STARSHIP" albums suck the mighty ding-dong...

NO VALUE WHATSOEVER.

Sorry if I pissed you off but I would MUCH rather choose some Grace-less KBC Band or latter-day Grace-less JEFFERSON STARSHIP NEXT GENERATION over her lame sticking with that Mickey Thomas-led "STARSHIP" --

ANY DAY.

Why the hell do you think Paul K. and David Freiberg and Pete Sears and all the members with some sense of musical integrity had already bailed-out by 1984 or 1985???

BECAUSE THE MUSIC

SUCKED ASS

by that point!!!

Just because Grace sings does NOT mean it is worth even a cursory listen!

And this is coming from a person who MUCH loves and admires GRACE SLICK--

ESPECIALLY her present-day support of animal-rights movements (PETA, etc.)...

But those albums without Paul Kantner SUCK MIGHTY DUMPS.

And that's about it, my friend.

Sad to say the truth but it IS the TRUTH.

Yeah... And it bums me out, too.

:cry:

:D :D I hate over-synth sounds myself, perhaps "Earth" was one of the only decent albums by JS........"Runaway" is BEAUTIFUL....it keeps that JA sound alive! :D 8)
psychhead

Postby Indian Summer on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:41 pm

First of all, the Starship 80s is terrible music...even in their own pop-league.
If you want some great JA material, CD or anybody, please check out 'Volunteers', 'Blows Agains The Empire, 'Long John Silver' and especially 'Baron von Tollbooth And The Chrome The Nun'.
Classic JA related music that can't be overlooked..
Indian Summer

Postby goodshepherd90 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Not sure if this fits the topic....but did Thirty Seconds Over Winterland chart? If so, what number did it peak at?
goodshepherd90

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Those last 2 posts illustrate EXACTLY what I meant...

I LOVE Grace Slick like NOBODY else... Except maybe Chasin' Destiny...

BUTT she did contribute to some horrible commercially-driven crap from the 1980's with "STARSHIP"...

And I myself much prefer the JEFFERSON STARSHIP with Grace, but I cannot tolerate the mid-'80's crap she performed when all of the original members had the artistic integrity to have SPLIT the SCENE...

Nowadays I MUCH admire her animal-loving, PETA-supporting vegetarian stance on such an important EARTH-based issue...

And I LOVE how she is still BEAUTIFUL but does not dye her grey hair!!!!

8)
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Yer jokin', right?

Yeah... Yer jokin'...

:?
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:55 pm

Now THA's Wha' 'm talkin' 'bout!!!

I tried to purchase VOLUNTEERS at two different local independent music-stores, but BOTH times, the CD came with the correct Front / Back liner, but the inside insert was from the SURREALISTIC PILLOW CD...
Jeff Tamarkin liner notes and blah bla bla...

SOMEBODY at RCA / BMG done FUCKED UP!!!

BIG TIME!!!

So THANK YOU!!! Mr. Chasin' Destiny for donating the CORRECT album artwork / Jeff Tamarkin liner notes and it is

GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Now I can appreciate the artwork as WELL as the MUSIC!!!

P.S.: Why can your European- corporate music-distributors get THEIR shit together... Butt NOT here in the STATES!?!?!?!

:x
DonRico1967

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions