Grace Slick to appear in Sausalto, California , Ill be there

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Grace Slick to appear in Sausalto, California , Ill be there

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:09 pm

Grace Slick was best know as a rock singer for Jefferson Airplane/Starship. Now she prefers a paintbrush to a microphone. Now painting professionally her work has been very well received by collectors as well as critics.

"As far as I can determine at this point, creation is constantly taking place and my life is a result of and pursuit of that process. Sometimes the form is music; sometimes it is giving birth, or maybe just sitting and appreciating sunset. Simply watching beauty helps it "exist."

"When I am in the process of painting I am gone to a place that relieves me of trivia and encourages the expression of a more vibrant existence. Painting is a still form. Unlike film, the movement has to be implied on canvas and translated to you by way of a mutual and basic recognition."

Grace Slick - Meet the Artist Dec. 2nd - Meet this music legend and see her latest artistic creations. Call for information. 415-331-7225

She will be at the Fingerhut Gallery in Sausalito California north of San Francisco. This is by invatation only so call and ask to be put on the guest list. She will be there between 7-9 PM today only.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Postby pandalove on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:23 pm

oh no fair!!!!!!!
take some pictures for us k shadowofadoubt?
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby virgo80 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Definitely take some pics. :) I wanted to go to her show in Santa Monica but the gallery told me she was in a separate room upstairs and the only way to meet or see her was to buy a print (start around $800+). After that, they'd let you go upstairs for her to sign it. I was saddened by it a little, so I hope this isn't the same situation up there. Not saying I didn't want to buy a print, just that I don't have $800 floating around that I don't know what to do with. :p
Visit me on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/virgo80
virgo80

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:13 pm

virgo80 wrote:Definitely take some pics. :) I wanted to go to her show in Santa Monica but the gallery told me she was in a separate room upstairs and the only way to meet or see her was to buy a print (start around $800+). After that, they'd let you go upstairs for her to sign it. I was saddened by it a little, so I hope this isn't the same situation up there. Not saying I didn't want to buy a print, just that I don't have $800 floating around that I don't know what to do with. :p

:shock: ...$800 ?......With or without a coffee ?
(i want some cookies to !)

:shock: ...Sorry, again a bad joke...
Chasin'Destiny

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:06 pm

This was a major disappointment for me. Security for this was tight as hell. So tight that the hired goons took away my shoulder bag at the door. Inside was my Volunteers, Bark , After Bathing at Baxters , Surrialistic Pillow vinyl records , a bag of McDonalds , my ditigal camera , 3 sharpie pens , and Fly Jefferson Airplane dvd. I pleaded with them that all I wanted was a few good shots for the Airplane website and the Janis Joplin fan forum and they refused. After they took this from me I was allowed into the gallery to see the works of art Grace had made on canvas. And there she was , plane as day in a sport coat and slacks sitting behind a roped off table in front of her was a hand puppet white rabbit. . And behind her was a huge security man watching everything. You could go up and talk to her which I did at great length , she and I spoke for a good 45 minutes about JA / Starship. She said she fucking hates Jefferson Starship, not the musicans just the music. As " We Built This City " was being piped in over the PA system. She said theres no point to the band. She loves almost 98% of the Airplane albums because the lyrics were " Out there and make you think building a mental picture". The whole time people were buying her paintings and getting a complementary snapshot with her. Her paintings are awsome pieces, she really is good but where the prices start at 5500 dollars and top out at almost 19,000 dollars they were way out of my price range. Some of the Janis Joplin art that was at the Janis Joplin Day was also being sold here in another section of the gallery. After she and I finished talking I went looking at pieces id never be able to buy. Then I got a mobile cell call so as I reached into my jacket pocket to answer the call, I then remembered my cell phone doubles as a camera. So I was going to try to sneak a quick pic from my cell phone and as I was pressing the function bottons on the phone out of nowhere a man in a suit and tie who worked there tapped me on the shoulder and said " a camera phone ? Ill take that thank you " and he took it away. These people refused to budge on anything unlike the Janis Joplin Day event. So rather then being 86ed from the gallery I didnt fight him for a pic. If she really dosent want to sign anything or get pics taken , then you just got to roll with her wishes. However I gave the house photographer a 50 dollar bill and said if any of his shots included me, id like him to email them to me. That it is vitally important. He said he would. We shall see .... I was just awwed to be standing within a foot and a half of sheer greatness. At around 8:55 PM I left and the security team then gave me all my items back at the door. I am sorry I came away from this empity handed. I am as disappointed as you are.
Last edited by Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Postby virgo80 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:10 pm

That stinks about the pictures but at least you got to chat with her, I can only imagine how fun that was! Security here in LA is a lot worse, since you weren't even allowed to see her at all unless you bought something.

Lucky dog :)
virgo80

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:33 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy Mother Maria and Jesus Christ !
Is it that bad ?...No go for paparazi !!!...
Great, they must protect a living legend
with their lifes !!!...Sorry for You !...
I think if would like to show up there,
i better shave my beard of. Somebody
could think of a...... :twisted: ...

Now serious please !.
It's bad for all of you, but i think it's better
for Grace !!!!!!, there are enough Creeps
and MoFu's out there, so she must have
a very good protection.I think it cost
Grace some $ to show her art in that
art gallery, so they have some
protection as a service...

:roll: ...i would like to that job !!!
:roll: ...protecting her against all kinds of evil
:roll: ...shoot first then ask ; did it hurt ?
:roll: ...
Chasin'Destiny

Postby pandalove on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:01 pm

oh man shadowofadoubt. that sucks. at least you got to meet her in all her awesomeness! i really hope she comes back to nc. i missed that show in charlotte(i think thats the one freakmeout went to but i dunno. she didn't say did she?) and that HURT finding out a week later.
i'm going to start saving my money now so i can afford to buy that one print of hers. i think its called "please help".
is janis joplin day going to happen again or was that a one time thing? i heard it was pretty phenomenal.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:15 pm

panda Michael Joplin had said it was to commerate the opening of the play in San Francisco. The play has since left here and with this Summer of Love thing that will happen in september id think the Joplins might do something like that again but not another Janis day. Michael Joplin did say he was going to bring back Janis's 65 Porche to San Francisco someday. I guess hes the one who runs the operations. Laura Joplin was nice also , signing my book and posing for a pic with me but I think she leaves the estate affairs to her brother. Yes a shame indeed but I was very humbled Grace allowed conversation for so long. She is a very facinating lady and speaks her mind.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Postby pandalove on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 pm

oh, ok. are you going to that summer of love thing? i'm hoping i can find a way to go to that...
grace does seem like such a nice lady. she'd be fun to just talk to for a while. to see what she thinks about things.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby virgo80 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:14 am

I'm thinking about driving up for the Summer of Love festival. :) Any ideas on who's performing? I'm signed up on their mailing list but haven't heard much.. didn't know if there were any local blurbs in the paper.
virgo80

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:17 pm

The event is officially announced now. This is from 2b1 Productions.

2b1 and the Council of Light are excited to announce the celeberation of the "Summer of Love 40th" in 2007 on September 2nd, Sunday at Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate park, from 10am to 6pm, admission FREE.

The “SUMMER OF LOVE 40th Anniversary Eventâ€
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Postby virgo80 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Wow, thanks for posting! If even half of them showed up it'd be a great show. I think I'll definitely be making the drive up now. :D
virgo80

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Is there a chance that Paul Kantner & Friends
do something ? , Or Hot Tuna ?.....

They must come to Holland or Germany !!!
THAT would be GREAT !!!...

But the other names ?... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Not bad....not bad at all !!!!...

On Dutch and/or German TV ?....
GREAT !!!...i'll be ready to record something...

:roll: ..
Chasin'Destiny

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

The key word here is " Might " be there, as far as I know so far nothing has been signed and nothing is certain. But Im going for sure no matter who will be there.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions