Appearences in movies?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Appearences in movies?

Postby Memorabilia on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:08 am

Does Jefferson Airplane appear in any other movies except "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"?
I saw you grow older
Saw myself grow older too
But not as much as you
If I only knew
Memorabilia

Postby The Acid Queen on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:57 am

I can't remember off of the top of my head, but if you visit IMDb.com, it should tell you.
The Acid Queen

Postby troebuck on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 am

To crib a line from the ads for "Beatlemania":

That's not Airplane, but an incredible simulation!

Airplane does not appear in the 'Fear and Loathing' movie. But it's a really cool visualization of what it must have been like to be at an Airplane show circa '67, in my opinion.

If you look at the guy who's supposed to be "Jorma," he's sporting a big bushy beard -- which is kind of laughable if you like to focus on such things.
Tad
troebuck

Postby Pooneil on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:34 am

Do you mean appear as in, you can actually see them? or appear as in, their songs can be heard? or both? Because "Volunteers" was in Forrest Gump and "White Rabbit" was in Platoon, but in both instances none of the band members make a visible appearance.
Pooneil

Postby crazybrain on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:27 pm

They are in Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music.
crazybrain

Postby Whenheco on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Gimme Shelter, although that's more off a documentary.
Whenheco

Postby Don Rico on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:43 pm

There exists a great film from 1971 called "FILLMORE"...

I used to own a VHS copy but sadly, I believe it is now long out of print...

It is a retrospective of the legendary San Francisco Fillmore Auditorium.

It contains some great footage from the last shows there... GRATEFUL DEAD... QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE... ELVIN BISHOP... NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE...

"We Can Be Together" is featured, but there is no JA footage, only trippy hippie strobe-light dancing...

But there is some great live HOT TUNA... "Candyman" and "Uncle Sam Blues"... Yeah man it's rad...

Does anybody know how to score a copy?

:?:
Don Rico

Postby nickwishkah on Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:37 pm

Jefferson Airplane were definitely in the book "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas". They were mentioned twice. Other bands mentioned (that i can remember) are the Rolling Stones (for Paint It Black) and Brewer & Shipley (for One Toke Over The Line). Great great book. Don't know about the film. Only seen it once but considering the state i was in i don't think i am all that likely to remember.

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby Fidel on Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:54 am

Not actually in the show, but the very first episode of the Sopranos fearures a lengthy portion of "Other Side of This Life" from Pointed Little Head.
Fidel

Postby Euphemism on Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:32 pm

If I remember right, they appear in a movie called "The 60's". You can also hear Comin' back to me, Somebody to love and maybe even more. I don't remember much about the movie.
A sigh of the wind made me cry
and i started to fly.
I flew over trees, I flew over
mountains and seas.
The mushroom moon is bad news.
Euphemism

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Grace and Paul narrate a new DVD about the doors. Ill think of the name in a few minutes i dont own it but ive seen it, The describe how on the tour across Europe with Jim Morrison was such a adventure. I have seen most of it at a friends house. Worth buying for sure. They also play in the Monterey Pops Festival 67 dvd. Its a expensive one, cost me 60 dollars but its worth it.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby ceangle13 on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:19 am

The Dvd he is talking about isn't new (of course it is new to Dvd), but it was released on Vhs at least 10 years ago. It does have current interview footage with Grace and a chainsmoking Paul but no Jefferson airplane footage! The video is a narrative about the European tour the Airplane and the Doors shared. Grace and Paul spoke about the drug culture and courtesies and also about how Blotto Morrison got during the tour when he couldn't perform and Ray Manzarek had to "sub" for Morrison during at least a show! I wish it had some Airplane footage!!! Why just the doors?
ceangle13

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Thats it !!! ceangel13 :D they show the last minute of White Rabbit i think it was and Jim Morrison comes running out onto the stage and Jim starts dancing onstage while the Airplane plays. Hes stealing the show so they play faster. Hes so hammered that he passes out before the doors take the stage and Ray sings in Jims place. Grace talks about how in Denmark people just handing the bands drugs on the street. The Airplane puts the pills into their pockets for later but Jim takes every pill handed to him and downs them all right there on the street.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Hey friends, whats the name of this movie with the combined doors/airplane tour? Also this fillmore thing from -70 sounds interesting, got any more specific name for it?

Postby coty on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:29 am

please , let me know the name of that movie! im from argentina, my email is coty_snm_@hotmail.com, please write soon!!
coty

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions