The recently bought records topic

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

The recently bought records topic

Postby Indian Summer on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:57 pm

This a new topic about your records....the records you bought recently.
React to eachother's cd's and maybe you can recommend something.

Let's kick off with some cd's that I just ordered;

"Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round" (1970)

One of the greatest Kinks albums and a concept one.
In my opinion 1 of the 3 great kinks albums "Arthur" (1969) and "Muswell Hillbillies" (1971) are the others.
By the way; "Village Green" is overrated and weak :!: .

"Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails" (1969)

Giant psychadelic classic and I bet Sam and Psychhead own it too!
I have heard their first album, don't know the rest.

"Stephen Stills - Stills" (1975)

Ohhh, I love Stephen's first two solo albums (1970,1971).
Strangely, all those albums didn't get the recognition they deserve.
Same goes for all of the CSN related releases.
That's a shame; Nash, Crosby, Stills released some fine albums.
Indian Summer

recent albums

Postby lenceel on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:57 am

unfortunately, i haven't bought any new records lately. i just wanted to put my two cents in regarding the kinks - something else is also a classic album with my all time favorite kinks tune, waterloo sunset and many other great songs. and speaking of the kinks, how could ray davies not be included in that list of greatest living songwriters that was mentioned a while back!
lenceel

Postby briank on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:54 am

you don't like "the kinks are the village green preservation society" ?!
i happen to put that particular album right up there with the music of the beatles in terms of kickass pop accessibility... but that's just my opinion

and yes, if you like acid rock you will love "happy trails." the airplane may have introduced me to psychedelia, but that album completely turned me onto the scene. i had to give it two listens, but by then i was set. "mona" is one of the few songs that i could turn on and play over and over and over again... john cippollina should be a more well-known name 8) a very important album to me, that one

you'll have to tell us how stephen stills' album is; i'm quite familiar with CSN collectively and david crosby's solo album (very good), but not any solo stuff by stills or nash...

i haven't gotten any new albums in a while and i'm actually in the funk mood, so i'm thinking about getting something by parliament/funkadelic... a cheap used cd of "maggot brain" is at a local record store, i might pick that up...
briank

Postby zeke on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:19 pm

I love everything the kinks made but Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round is my favorite, also one of the all time favorite albums. happy trails is also very good.

I bought "the darkness - one way ticket to hell and back" two weeks ago, I had it as mp3s but I felt like buying the album when I saw it on sale. I also forced my father to buy me "nicola conte - other directions" for my birthday :)
zeke

Postby Indian Summer on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm

Zeke, what do you think about 'Village Green' and the earlier stuff.
And do you consider 'Muswell' and 'Arthur' as a classic?

Well, the Kinks are great...but their problem is; they released a few great records and most of their material is inconsistent.
The 3 albums I mentioned are the only 4 or 5 star albums.
The Stones, Beatles and the Who released a lot more solid albums, and therefore the Kinks will stand in the shadow.
They also didn't have a great frontman....no Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey.
If they had...yes....if they had they could be even bigger.
Indian Summer

Postby freakmeout on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:33 pm

I just bought Joe's Garage the other day...but in recent months I've also bought:

"Doolittle" by the Pixies (which I LOOOOVEEEE...check it out, everybody!!)
"Bringing It All Back Home" by Dylan
"In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk hotel (another great one...makes me cry)
"Billy Breathes" by Phish
"Smile" by Brian Wilson
"The Madcap Laughs" by Syd...cried at this one too.
"Skull and Roses" by the Dead
"London Calling" by the Clash

I bought a lot of albums this summer...
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby willie on Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:35 pm

zeke wrote:I love everything the kinks made but Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round is my favorite, also one of the all time favorite albums. happy trails is also very good.

I bought "the darkness - one way ticket to hell and back" two weeks ago, I had it as mp3s but I felt like buying the album when I saw it on sale. I also forced my father to buy me "nicola conte - other directions" for my birthday :)

Zeke! The Darkness???? :shock: Please tell me it was that or Celine Dion.
It's only a personal opinion, but I'd rather cut off my ears with a red hot spoon and stuff the bloody holes in my head with pickled chillies than listen to the darkness.
willie

Postby willie on Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:42 pm

freakmeout wrote:I just bought Joe's Garage the other day...but in recent months I've also bought:

"Doolittle" by the Pixies (which I LOOOOVEEEE...check it out, everybody!!)
"Bringing It All Back Home" by Dylan
"In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk hotel (another great one...makes me cry)
"Billy Breathes" by Phish
"Smile" by Brian Wilson
"The Madcap Laughs" by Syd...cried at this one too.
"Skull and Roses" by the Dead
"London Calling" by the Clash

I bought a lot of albums this summer...

Jefferson Airplane then Pixies and the Clash. You're doing my collection in reverse. 8)
willie

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:57 pm

willie wrote:
zeke wrote:I love everything the kinks made but Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round is my favorite, also one of the all time favorite albums. happy trails is also very good.

Zeke! The Darkness???? :shock: Please tell me it was that or Celine Dion.
It's only a personal opinion, but I'd rather cut off my ears with a red hot spoon and stuff the bloody holes in my head with pickled chillies than listen to the darkness.

No need to cut of some ears....
You could rent some tools from me
to get rid of some crap...
http://members.home.nl/jjurgens/pctools.jpg
Chasin'Destiny

Postby zeke on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:54 am

willie!first you wanted to slap me, now you wanna cut my ears!
what's wrong with you people? I think darkness is a very very good band. people make fun with them in every music forum I saw!

Indian Summer:
I have got 7-8 kinks albums and I like all of them. I have most of the early stuff (kinda kinks, something else, kontroversy.. ) and yes most of their songs sound alike but I still like them. I also like zombies, they never changed their sound but I loved almost any song I heard.

village green... is a classic, I don't think it's weak or overrated but lola vs... is way better. I've never seen muswell or arthur around. but I'd buy it without a thought.
zeke

Postby Indian Summer on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 am

I've never seen muswell or arthur around. but I'd buy it without a thought.

You should do that!
I heard every Kinks studio album so far, and both Arthur and Muswell (along with Lola Vs. Powerman) are the highlights in their career.
I also want to buy their singles collection with all those early great singles.
That was their problem in the beginning; great singles, mediocre albums.
Just like the Beatles & The Who their albums began to be stronger towards the end of the 60s.
At least, that is my humble opinion.

About the Darkness; they are not populair..
But is it important? I mean, if you like a band, that's ok.
Even if the band is slagged by many.
The Darkness is not bad, it's way better compared to most music that is released nowadays.
The singer irritates me though; he acts like a reincarnation of our beloved 'Freddie'...
And he is not...
Indian Summer

Postby zeke on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:53 am

well I have to agree that justin hawkins is imitating freddie. but he is a very good imitation. I really wonder what would freddie say if he saw justin.
it's kinda like steven tyler - mick jagger thing
zeke

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:57 am

zeke wrote:well I have to agree that justin hawkins is imitating freddie. but he is a very good imitation. I really wonder what would freddie say if he saw justin.
it's kinda like steven tyler - mick jagger thing

If it is the same mr. Tyler...
The best he did "make" was...

http://www.lovelylivtyler.com/movies/on ... t_mccools/

That's a cool movie...
And a beauty of a woman...daughter of mr. Tyler
from Aerosmith...
Chasin'Destiny

Postby freakmeout on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:10 am

I believe in a thing called love....that's the only song I know by them...it's cheesy rock, but sometimes you need a bit of cheesy rock...for god's sake, I love the Monkees!

And I don't give a damn what anyone has to say about it. 8)
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:29 am

It's ok !...

I like Simon & Garfunkel very much...
If mr. Garfunkel does A bridge over troubled water
you could see this Titanic (me) go down....
And another one Sound of silence....
Sooooo full of emotion....for me...
Chasin'Destiny

Next

Return to Open Forums