Griffith Park July 28 1968

Thoughts and memories from longtime Jefferson Airplane Manager Bill Thompson

Griffith Park July 28 1968

Postby Dan Shannon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi. I have recently un-earthed some pictures of the JEFFERSON AIRPLANE doing a free concert at Griffth Park on July 28 1968. I was living in Sierra Madre Canyon at the time. It was on a Monday after their show in San Diego. David Crosby and Graham Nash are behind the amps and there are several nice photos of Grace. One of my favorites is the one of Grace and Paul. I'm sure that the viewers of the website would enjoy looking at these pictures.
I have always enjoyed rock and roll photography. I was with the bands Spirit and Jo Jo Gunne as a manager and crew member. We toured with a lot of other groups and I had some great photo opportunities. Recently, Rhino Records used a picture I took for the cover of The Faces 4 CD set 'Five Guys Walk Into a Bar' taken at a gig we did with them in 1973 at Madison Square Gardens.
I would like to share these pictures of Jefferson Airplane so I have sent in about ten of the best ones from that day. I hope you can forward some of them to the appropriate people and maybe someday show them on your website..
* if anyone is interested in prints from the original negatives, let me know.
Thanks!! Dan Shannon danshannon22@hotmail.com
Last edited by Dan Shannon on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Shannon

Re: Griffith Park July 28 1968

Postby psychy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Only saw this post now :roll: :roll:
Imageù
psychy

Postby Dan Shannon on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Psychy. Thanks for responding!! I had lost those pictures for thirty years and all of a sudden they appeared. I'm glad to be able to share them. I see that my pictures caused a re-structuring of your scrapbook page. Now it might encourage others to submit their pictures and stories. I personally like the picture of you and Paul. If there are any photos you want, let me know and I will be happy to send them.
Regards, Dan Shannon
Dan Shannon

Postby Dan Shannon on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Jon. THANK YOU for getting those photos onto the website to share with our friends. I had a box of film that had never been proofed an there they were. Along with the JA photos were also some pictures of Janis and Country Joe playing at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. As I reviously said, I was with Spririt. We almost did Woodstock, but management didn't think it was a good idea??! I also saw that my photos caused the scrapbook page to be re-done so as to encourage others to submit their pictures.
Regards, Dan
Dan Shannon

Postby Dan Shannon on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 am

Hi. No dreams riuned. Nothing but fun here. It's nice to hear from anyone that's interested in talking all the good times we had.
Regards, Dan
Dan Shannon

Postby Dan Shannon on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 pm

You shoot the .44 and I'll take the pictures.
Good luck!
Dan Shannon

Postby psychy on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 am

Hey man, bring on the pix :)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Bill's Blog