New and most comprehensive Jefferson Airplane book coming so

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

New and most comprehensive Jefferson Airplane book coming so

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi fellow Airplaners:

I wanted to have the pleasure of introducing myself and a bunch of information about the new J.A. book that will be coming out hopefully 30 days or so.

I have ahd the pleasure of archiving J.A. material for 30 years. If you have ever been curious about an obscure song title or jam, it is in the book! So are 33 real interviews and not quotes. A look at 121 live shows, the first and last time a song was performed live, we go into the vaults to explore 60 unreleased demos including the forgetten one with Bob Harvey in 65 for Columbia (YES Columbia), studio rehearsals, alternates, etc.

There are 266 question and answers about the Airplane & Family. These are not the same things you have read over and over.

The book is Take Me To A Circus Tent (The J.A. Flight Manual). The focus is the music and plenty of it. 544 pages, 88 photos including possibly the rarest J.A. photo from 1965. The website is http://www.takemetoacircustent.net.

I pasted eveything below.

Thank you so much for your time and thank you for the email repsonse at the website. It is amazing to check the mail and see everywhere but Antartica represented. I am working on that!

All the best,
"Craig Fenton knows so much about the Jefferson Airplane & Family, I was asking him questions."

(Marty Balin- July 2006)

TAKE ME TO A CIRCUS TENT

(The Jefferson Airplane Flight Manual)

Craig Fenton
Includes many exclusive photos by Herb Greene (His picture was used for the Surrealistic Pillow album) & Don Aters (Chet Helms best friend and a photographer for almost 40 years) never seen in print form before.

Photos as far back as 1963 and even including two versions of the Great Society. Finally a bunch of Signe Anderson pictures to give her a much needed thanks! Maybe the rarest J.A. photo ever from 1965 as well!!

Which Jefferson Airplane member blew up a $100,000 mixing board and why?

Which Jefferson Airplane member was asked to be part of Steve Miller’s band in 1970?

Which two non Jefferson Airplane drummers are uncredited for their appearance on the studio version of Feel So Good?

Which Hot Tuna member was asked to be an original member of ZZ Top?

Which song performed by Grace Slick and the Great Society did The Jefferson Airplane decide not to record?

Which one time Jefferson Airplane member was asked about coming back to the band circa 1967-1968?

Which Hot Tuna member almost became part of Fleetwood Mac in the mid-seventies?

Which Jefferson Starship member came up with the joke “Only the best tuna gets to be Starship?â€
"Craig Fenton knows so much about the J.A. and Family, I was asking him the questions."
Marty Balin July 2006.

"Take Me To A Circus Tent" is here. With many 5 star reviews already!! 93 photos 543 pages!
Thanks for flying with the J.A.
craigtheairplaneman

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:45 pm

I have 2 questions ;

Available in Holland (Europe) ?

What did Grace say about it ?
Chasin'Destiny

Postby Steve on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am

I want a copy!!! Let us know when available. Will be a great companion to Jeff's book.
Steve

Postby pandalove on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:49 pm

awesome!!!
so it'll be out soon?
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi Panda Love, Steve, and Destiny:

Thank you for the nice words. If all goes well the book would be out in about 30 days. When we have an exact date I will let you know all the info.

If Amazon of Europe doesn't have it (It isn't always a quick entry into the data bases), I will give you ways to purchase the book.

Grace has been through a tough time the past year or so in terms of health (The same for Signe Anderson). Bill Thompson told me that she has been more or less keeping with the art and not been around in the music end of things.

What everyone should love about the book is the perfect word Steve used, companion to Jeff's. It would be wrong and make no sense to repeat the previously authored publications. You can enjoy Jeff's book for the extensive history and behind the scenes happenings and mine for the interviews, questions and answers, mutiple pictures, the look at the 121 live shows and unreleased studio gems.

Those that have been so kind to email me from Europe and Asia can help by letting the masses know the book is not too far away and they can enjoy the website that was updated today with 2 Great Society rare tracks and 3 cool photos from 64 (Pre Airplane) and 66.

Be well,
Craig The Airplane Man
"Craig Fenton knows so much about the J.A. and Family, I was asking him the questions."
Marty Balin July 2006.

"Take Me To A Circus Tent" is here. With many 5 star reviews already!! 93 photos 543 pages!
craigtheairplaneman

Postby skywise on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:40 am

woohoo!!!!!!!! I wait all me life for an airplane book and 2 come along within a few years... fantastic!

Hopefully I'll be able to get hold of it on amazon, otherwise yeah, if you could let us know how to get hold of it that'd be great.

nice one Craig, best of luck with the book. :)
"someone nicked my signature innit?"
skywise

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:05 am

:roll: About a book...from Grace...

The book "...Somebody to love..."
from Grace Slick may have some attention to.

ISBN 0-446-60783-5 Softcover version.

It's about Grace ,Jefferson Airplane, some nice
storys.About some shit things that happend to her.
A funny story about Jim Morrison & Grace, and it's
the way these storys are written in that book.
I like that book, read about a great woman.
Even she isn't a musician anymore, she is a
member of The Jefferson Airplane.

:roll: Don't shoot the messenger...
Chasin'Destiny

Jefferson Airplane Book

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm

Hi Chasin' Destiny & Sky Wise:

Hope all is well. I wanted to ge tsome info for the nice folks in Europe about the book. Please tell me if this makes sense. I will make sure that everyone can get the book.

In the USA soon after release Amazon.com has it in the master index and shows it i nthe on-line search. In The U.K. Amazon U.K. should do the same. It is also listed in the Ingram database for orders worldwide. If you go into your favorite shop, it should be there for you to order.

I am happy to oversee everything and make sure people can get this one way or another.

I want to thank all the fine people that have been kind enough to email me privately from England, Scotland, Holland, Germany and Italy.

When the book journey began I made a promise that the fans are the stars and I would never take it for granted how lucky I was to be able to do this.

Have a great night,
Craig The Airplane Man
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby skywise on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 am

Hi Craig,

yeah that makes perfect sense however, which way would earn you the most money? or does it not matter?

Obv I'd rather order in a way that earned you the most (though I appreciate this is probably a "work of love" for you rather than anything else)

Cheers
Sky
"someone nicked my signature innit?"
skywise

Postby Steve on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Unfortunately, Grace's book had some inaccuracies & tended to sugar coat things. To me, it was disappointing.
Steve

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Steve wrote:
Unfortunately, Grace's book had some inaccuracies
& tended to sugar coat things. To me, it was disappointing.

Inaccuracies ?
Great !, if you know things better than Grace
why don't you tell us all the true story(s)....
On what page are these inaccuracies ?
:roll:
Chasin'Destiny

Postby Steve on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Specifically about drug use by band members on the 89 reunion tour. I shall NOT name names.
Steve

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:11 am

On page 323 ; ...On the road again

In 1989, Paul called together all the original
members of the Airplane and suggested a short
(one album, one tour) reunion.After some brief
discussion about logistics,we all agreed to
the adventure......

On page 324-325 ;

....Spencer Dryden wasn't there due to an
illness, Replaced by Kenny Aronoff.....
....We rented a bus, Jorma brought his wonderful
dog Marlow, and we got into the old Rock n Roll
tour-mode, minus the narcotics and alcohol....

On that page 325 she did say that there wasn't
any drug(s) at all ; To old !... (about 48 years ?)
Maybe they smoked some pot..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Chasin'Destiny

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:51 pm

....Spencer Dryden wasn't there due to an
illness, Replaced by Kenny Aronoff.....

Wow...didn't know that!!! Thanx! :D :D 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:58 pm

:D 8) Hi Craig and thanx heaps for this very GROOVY info!!! can't wait for the book to come out!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions