Hot Tuna Gathering of the Vibes

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Hot Tuna Gathering of the Vibes

Postby Franklin'sTower on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 pm

Caught Tuna a 2 week or so ago at the Gathering of the vibes
They were smokin HOT!!! Jorma was rippin' while Jack was thunderous.

I don't know if anyone else was there but what a great set. Weir joined in on the final tune, Walkin' Blues. He sang, interesting none the less.

Had a great time!

Steve Kimock and the Rythmn Devils played after Tuna, fun stuff as well.

Caught them a few times this summer, 3 times with Bromberg, man those were great shows. I haven't seen Bromberg in some years but man his solo set rocked!!! All of tuna except Erik sat in with Bromberg over the 3 day weekend. Then the all Electric Tuna set, SEA CHILD and ODE TO BILLY DEAN & ELECTRIC WALKIN" BLUES. YEAH BABY!!!!!! Bought one of the nights at hottunatunes.com sound like I was back at the show. It's my new favirote discs. Gets me throught the morning rush hour traffic.

Anyone download any of the other shows? Recomendations would be great. I'm planning on getting the 2001 show from the bottom line. I was at that one what a rowdy night.

Anyway,Till the morning comes
James
Franklin'sTower

Postby gTarFreak on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:10 pm

I was a little disappointed at the set at the 'Vibes. I thougth his setlist was beter suited for a nice, sunny summer afternoon, not for a crowd that was soaked to the skin, up to their ankles in mud, and just come from a rockin' New Riders set. I don't think they really connected until I See The Light. And I'd rather they ditched some of the standard set and played more with Bobby, as the combination of Jorma and Bob Weir really creates some energy. Considering that Jorma was playing in considerable pain from an infection in his back, he did an admirable job. Despite screwing up the verses on 'Light and "That'll Never Happen No More". I thought they should've played electric at the 'Vibes. But, since they were in the middle of an acoustic tour I guess that wasn't to be.

I caught the show at th Stone Pony with Bromberg and that was definitely the best show I've seen in the past two years. Espeicially since I watched the soundcheck and as David taught Tuna the song Drivin Wheel I managed to learn it as well!

I always enjoy watching Jorma perform with another guitarist, as it frees him up from being "Jorma" and lets him be himself. I can't wait until November. I'm at the last class at the Ranch this year and the Saturday night concert is billed as the "G.E. Smith Band, which usually means G.E., Jack, Eric Diaz to start with, adding in the other teachers that weekend which will be Jorma, Buddy Cage, and Michael Falzarano.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

33 1/3 %...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Is it my imagination, or does having them jam with a "guest" musician bring out a certain glee with Jorma, but reduce Jack to the standard bass player role???
Bottom line: when it comes to Hot Tuna, I prefer the unadulterated ingredients...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Franklin'sTower on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:12 am

I see a bunch of shows a year, acoustic and the electric fromat. This past summer's show at the talkhouse was just Jorma/Jack. Now don't get me wrong Barry adds some nice playing to the boys but MAN nothing beats hearing the sweet sounds of Acoustic Hot Tuna in the original format.

James
Franklin'sTower

Postby DoogieP on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 am

Hey there
Saw that you were looking for suggestions in regards to the Tuna downloads. I bought a few downloads, and I like them a lot. They are in the car changer so they are in heavy rotation for me. I would recommend the January 2001 show and the one from Boulder is as well.
The first one is just Jorma and Jack back to the basics and the second is a smokin' electric show with Barry Mitterhoff and Erik Diaz.

Can't wait till the fall tour, I didn't make any of the summer shows, I hear they were great.

Doug
DoogieP

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions