Bless Its Pointed Little Head.......

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Bless Its Pointed Little Head.......

Postby willie on Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:22 am

Ok, what do we know about this fantastic Airplane offering? What don't we know? What would we like to know? etc.
For example, why is 'Clergy' so called? Why not Intro or Kong or....Armadillo? What's 3/5's all about? What do we know about Philip Whalen, Fred Neil or Owsley.
Anything interesting will do even you think it obvious. No competeing for who knows most.
8)
willie

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:03 am

I've got the answers
To all of your questions
If you've got the money
To pay me in gold

I will be living
In old Monte Carlo
And i will be reading
The secrets of soul

:shock: Was it Alice ?...
:shock: Or was it me ?....

Yes i want to know it to !!!!!!
Chasin'Destiny

Postby gTarFreak on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Well, 3/5's of a mile takes its title from a newspaper article, according to Marty. That works out to 216 mph (or 348 kph for the rest of the world), so I always assumed it came from some form of auto racing. The words to the song appear to be about something completely different, however, with the title phrase thrown in for laughs. The song (especially on Bless...) does seem to be played at a frenzied pace, which might be the connection. Or, I'm just plain thinking too much and drinking too little...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Ve haf vays of doink avay vith people vho blow ze minds...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:17 pm

It wouldn't have been as good, if the title was "Three Hundred and Forty Eight Kilometers in One Hour" - although the "Threeeee" part might have sounded cool with a German accent?
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Re: Ve haf vays of doink avay vith people vho blow ze minds.

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:11 pm

jimmie ray wrote:It wouldn't have been as good, if the title was "Three Hundred and Forty Eight Kilometers in One Hour" - although the "Threeeee" part might have sounded cool with a German accent?

In German ;
Dreihunderd und achtundvierzig kilometer die stunde...

English with German accent ?...
That song from Grace...
http://jeffersonairplane.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=550
Chasin'Destiny

Postby willie on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:06 am

My only dissapointment with this Album is the 'cuts' between songs, because of time resraints. Imagine a double CD, uncut, that would be great. It does show how musically talented and versatile the band were. Fat angle for example, Kantner sings, Balin plays bass and Casady plays rhythm, all better than most bands do on their choosen instruments.
Just before Bear Melt someone ,Kantner I think, says to the audience 'please feel free to sing along' Grace Slick replies 'Thank you' Makes me smile everytime :D 8)
willie

Postby Indian Summer on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:47 am

Just before Bear Melt someone ,Kantner I think, says to the audience 'please feel free to sing along' Grace Slick replies 'Thank you' Makes me smile everytime

That's hilarious, Willie.. :)

I haven't heard this album yet, but I will soon have it.
This album is a high succes, with many great reviews that praise the overall quality.
There's also another live album called "Winterland" and I heard that it's also a great one, but very different compared to this release.
It's hard to get in Europe (Winterland)...

Off topic: what a great avatar, Willie...compliments!
Indian Summer

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:03 pm

And what about the title ?

Bless its pointed little head....

A bullit ?....hhmm...pe :roll: nis ?.....

What ?....if you know it write it !...
Chasin'Destiny

Postby gTarFreak on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:37 pm

From the picture on the album cover. The bottles of wine are.... pointed at the top hence, bless it's pointed little head.

Cheers (hic),
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby willie on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm

As far as I know it's something to do with the beat poet Philip Whalen, who I know very little about. I think it's a para-phrase from a homage to the roman philosopher Lucretius. I would love to know more. One for Freakmeout I thinks :roll: 8)
willie

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:04 pm

gTarFreak wrote:From the picture on the album cover. The bottles of wine are.... pointed at the top hence, bless it's pointed little head.

Cheers (hic),
Dave

Just some wine bottles ?
I thought about some adventurous things...
:roll:
Chasin'Destiny

Postby freakmeout on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Okay. "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" from what I know, is what Grace yelled out when she saw the photo of Jack passed out amongst the beer bottles. I think it's from a poem, but I'm not totally sure.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Casady & Balin FAT ANGEL Swap?

Postby The Other Side on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:19 pm

Willie says, "Fat angle for example, Kantner sings, Balin plays bass and Casady plays rhythm, all better than most bands do on their choosen instruments..."

Can anybody verify this somehow? Neither the original L.P., nor the C.D. indicate Casady playing rhythm while Balin plays bass on "Fat Angel".

Willie, uh, what's up with this?

Owlsley- Made the best acid before making the best soundsystems.

Fred Neil- late fifties-early sixties folkie of some influence upon John Sebastian, David Crosby, and Paul Kantner. Wrote "The Other Side of This Life", which sounds hellaciously milder than the blazing version of the Airplane's on BIPLH.

30 Seconds Over Winterland- Wow, other than CROWN OF CREATION & HAVE YOU SEEN THE SAUCERS I try to forget that this is an Airplane album. This band was so fractured by this point that the album is painful listening, for the most part. Plus way too much emphasis on LJS material, which was easily" the worst of Jefferson Airplane".

3/5th's of a Mile in 10 Seconds- smokin intro by Dryden. Frenetic is an understatement. Spencer was such a good, inventive drummer. I'm listening to him now on "BEAR MELT". This band is just so GOOOOD at this point.

Plastic Fantastic Lover- Twice as good as the studio version. Beyond solid backbeat by Dryden/Casady. Band just kicks Marty, who kicks back with an awesome vocal. The "meth"ed up version of this from Woodstock is really quite good, also.

Really a tasty album that I've come to appreciate more and more over the years. Particularly when compared to much of the tripe that passes for "live" recordings. Perhaps "live", but so rehearsed and uniform to bore you to tears. Every song on BILPH is either so radically reworked to barely resemble the studio recording, or is unreleased-and superb to boot-FAT ANGEL, THE OTHER SIDE..., BEAR MELT.

What an ending to a show with BEAR MELT, btw. After the tumult of the monstrous jam closing down, Grace slips back for one quiet verse and ...that's....it. Fini.
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:23 pm

I've heard of the switching of roles on Bear Melt, but can't for the life of me remember where. They say memory's the second thing to go, I forget what the first is...

As far as 30 Seconds... I love the live 'Saucers but for me the highlite is Feel So Good. It always frustrated me that on the studio version the track fades out just as the band starts to jam, and on 30 Seconds it's all there. Ok, it's really a Hot Tuna performance, but then I'm a Hot Tuna phreak, so sue me...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Re: Casady & Balin FAT ANGEL Swap?

Postby willie on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:55 pm

The Other Side wrote:Willie says, "Fat angle for example, Kantner sings, Balin plays bass and Casady plays rhythm, all better than most bands do on their choosen instruments..."

Can anybody verify this somehow? Neither the original L.P., nor the C.D. indicate Casady playing rhythm while Balin plays bass on "Fat Angel".

Willie, uh, what's up with this?

Grace mentioned it after a gig once. I think that is what she said, that hot tub was making a lot of noise :wink:

You know other side I don't know where I read that, I'd be grateful if someone can confirm (or deny ) it. But you ask the wife, I'm rarely wrong. :D
willie

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions