Hot Tuna

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Serpent of Dreams...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:00 pm

Weren't you guys able to download the offerings from CD?
I already have so much from them, I didn't really check it out - but it seemed like a bonus!
I'm cranking my "Double Dose" CD on the stereo right now, as tears of joy run down my face...
ThankS again, DAVE!!!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:46 pm

.......And the usual talks;
Support these people and buy their music
if you like it...... 8) ... 8) ...

Thanx for co-operation....
:shock:

some new files...
The Eagles - 21 & Out of Control
Pink Floyd - See Emily Play
Last edited by Chasin'Destiny on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasin'Destiny

Can't be satisfied...

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:56 am

I think that is an excellent strategy - what Hot Tuna songs did you offer?
What songs and albums do you have, CD?
Which are your favorites?
Electric? Acoustic??
I know you're a big Grace fan, but these guys do some great stuff on their own, I think...
jimmie ray

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:01 pm

.... :shock: ,
i have to do a confession.... :roll: ...

That Hot Tuna live concert file
is the only music i do have from them... :roll:
And i am looking for more, i like the electric
guitar much more, a bit raw and heavy.
But i did listen years after years to other
kind of music, HARD & LOUD.
Black Sabbath is one of them, so Hot Tuna
is a bit different :roll: for my ears....
And i have to go for some from Grace,
here in the Netherlands it's not easy to
find something, and that is shit...

...hhmmm...i like DVDs a bit more because
i like to see the music, but not all DVDs are
realy good. But remember some of these
recordings are very old....At the time that
Grace and JA did their job at Woodstock it
was not that high tech stuff what now is
used on the stage and for recordings...

The music from Jefferson Airplane
and Hot Tuna is like a pair of new shoes,
when you start walking with 'm it doesn't
feel good as the old ones. But after a good
walk they are getting better and better,
and getting more comfortable than the old ones.
Then......you can't get enough of it !!!!!!......
Sleeping with the new shoes on.....

When there is something new available
i put it on the server for download....
Chasin'Destiny

Turn on, Tuna in...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm

It's hard to recommend any particular Hot Tuna albums to most people that are not familiar with the group. Most times, you can recommend albums from other groups, which at least they have heard a song or two from already...
Most of my friends are Sabbath fans, now - although years ago it was the Dead. I can appreciate both ends of that music spectrum. The Dead fans introduced me to the music and live shows of Jorma - so once again, the past beats the present!
Try "Hoppkorv" - the songs on the second side are the best, but don't skip "Bowlegged Woman, Knockneed Man". Jorma's guitar has such a bite, Jack turns it up a notch, and Bob Steeler sounds like he's been unleashed... Genuine power trio!!!
jimmie ray

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 pm

[quote="Sam"]I JUST MET JACK AND BARRY!!!! We are sponsoring the Hot Tuna show tonight and we went to drop off some stuff and we were walking out, I turned a corner and BAM! Jack! Then Barry and Jorma came out of the bus and Barry told us to come by later to talk to everyone! :D I can't wait for the show tonight!!!!!

I didn't really ask them anything, we just talked about the show and stuff. I guess they really liked the venue, so hopefully they will come back next year. Barry said they were the best he's seen.

I have never seen them play so fucking good! After the show I was talking to Barry and he brought me into the tour bus to meet Jorma and Jack! I am not kidding!

/quote="Sam"]

If anyone I know was fortunate enough to see HOT TUNA live in concert AND actually meet and hang out with them on their tour bus...

Well... That is ultimately very close to being THE grooviest happening EVER!

However... The words you have chosen to describe this event leave me somewhat puzzled...
And...
Well...
I do not want to say skeptical BUTT...
I DO have a few questions.

***I hope you are not offended, as I fully expect if I was in your position that anyone else would ask the same of me.***

So yeah...

Who (forgive me) is "Barry"?

What did he say are the best "they" he has ever seen?

You say "we" (your family) "sponsored" on this show. Nowadays most concert tours are "sponsored" by big corporations. Who is your family in regards to the concert-promoter/sponsor business?

What was your family (the concert-promoter/sponsors) just "dropping off" that allowed you to so fortuitously meet "Barry"?

You say you have "never seen them play so good"... How many HOT TUNA shows have you actually seen?

When you say you were hanging out with the band... What kind of "stuff" besides the "show" did you "talk" about?

Aside from vague blurbs like "their music is really good"... What about the show itself? What songs did they play? What were the highlights for you?

Please relate some of your personal experiences! Like Indian summer... I want details! DETAILS...

*** Once again: I am not trying to be a total dick... But... I mean really... After all... This IS the "Internet" and I for one do NOT believe EVERYTHING I read!

And my Bullshit Detector don't lie!!!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:47 pm

As Sam is on vacation and may not see this post for a while, I'll offer a few words in his defense.

Who is Barry???? - Barry Mitterhoff, an un-f*cking believable mandolin player who also plays a whole slew of electric 4 and 8 string things who has to be heard to be believed.

Invited on the tour bus??? If Sam's parents had something to do with the concert and were around during the soiund check then that's entirely within character for Tuna.

Tuna's tour is not 'sponsored' in the corporate sense. While they do play a couple of events which are sponsored (the Stone Pony show was part of Coors summer condert series) for the most part they engage in a contract with each individual venue. If a local business wishes to cover part of the cost then they become a 'sponsor' and the band gets to pocket a little more of the gate.

While I've never been on their tour bus I have friends who have, and I've been served coffee at the ungodly hour of 7:00am by Jorma. Jorma, Jack, and Barry (and, I presume Eric Diaz) are down to earth people who have gotten over the flash of stardom and realize that it's all about the music.

And, though I've only seen about a dozen 'Tuna shows, I'd have to say that this last electric tour was the best! The energy level and enthusiasm was sky high and I went home happy.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby willie on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:57 am

[quote="DonRico1967]

However... The words you have chosen to describe this event leave me somewhat puzzled...
And...
Well...
I do not want to say skeptical BUTT...
I DO have a few questions.

You say you have "never seen them play so good"... How many HOT TUNA shows have you actually seen?
*** Once again: I am not trying to be a total dick... But... I mean really... After all... This IS the "Internet" and I for one do NOT believe EVERYTHING I read!

And my Bullshit Detector don't lie!!![/quote]

Don, You may not try to be a total dick, but I fear once again that is just what you have made yourself look like.
If you think Sam is making it up, what's the point of asking questions like 'How many HOT TUNA shows have you actually seen? ' On Sams behalf I'll say 34. Who knows if that's right. Not you or I.
It doesn't take a huge amount of faith in other people to belive that when someone says that at a gig of 500-1000 people that 1 person should get to talk with 2 other people.
People belive all sorts of other unsubstantiated nonsense unquestioningly http://jeffersonairplane.com/bbs/viewto ... c&start=30
I think your belief in a god is far more preposterous than Sams belief that he met Jorma and Jack (i.e not at all preposterous) so before you challenge Sam to prove anything, lets put the burden of truth on you to prove your assertion.
Last edited by willie on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Point of attack...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:11 pm

Don Rico said:

"Aside from vague blurbs like "their music is really good"... What about the show itself? What songs did they play? What were the highlights for you?"

I agree that alot of people don't give enough details about the songs and personal highlights from shows. And some don't even reply when you ask about more... Why bother posting the news, in the first place???
jimmie ray

Postby Steve on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:23 pm

For Chasin Destiny- If you like the heavy Tuna music, Hoppkorv is a good choice, but especially look for America's Choice. Totally rockin electric Tuna. I really like the way Jorma double tracks acoustic & electric guitar- and sometimes 2 electric tracks on each song.
Steve

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I'll try to get some Hot Tuna CDs, local music stores
sometimes never heard of them !!!!!!..... :shock:
If realy not a single music store has Tuna CD's...
i have to try an internet store....
They need about 4 weeks.... :shock:

I looked at http://www.bol.com
for information about CD's from
- Hot Tuna
- Jefferson Airplane
- Grace Slick

Thanx for the information Steve....
Chasin'Destiny

Flowers today, blooming on the pathway...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Music stores here in the U.S. used to have the full selection of Hot Tuna, but I don't see them anymore now - so the internet is the only choice for us all, it seems. Some of the compilation albums out now have a good arrangement, with an acoustic / electric mix - "Keep on Truckin, the Very Best of" looks great! "Best of", also - although some selections are curious? It is said that when most greatest hits are put together - they (record people) purposely leave out a few favorites, just to get you to buy more?? I bought that "Extended Versions" CD not too long ago - it was really cheap, but the recording quality was total shit (it seemed to me)...
I saw "Double Dose" (live late 70's) CDs (5 left) available from somewhere in Germany, on E-bay once. The price was very good, and their performance and sound quality on this is top notch. Try to get that, by all means!!!
jimmie ray

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm

You can get downloads of some recent shows (including electric shows) for a reasonable price at:

http://www.hottunatunes.com

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Look here I am NOT trying to be mean and nasty but come on now if I told a vague, questionable story about meeting and hanging all night with Our Heroes I would be roasted on a spit.
And if so I would roast gladly because the more that people asked me stuff, the more I could tell about my mythic experiences!

Duh!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Sam on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 pm

I just realized there is a whole section of this topic that is about me so though I am not gonna take the time to answer every stupid question rico asked me, I will explain how I got to go on the tour bus. After the second set everyone was clapping for a second encore and people started walking around and talking. I saw my guitar teacher and I talked to him for about twenty minutes and then I saw a guy who's VW bus I looked at and I talked to him for a few minutes. Then I saw Barry drinking a glass of wine in the corner and since I have seen him play five or six times in the last year and talked to him a few times before I went over to say hi and tell him how much I enjoyed the show. He asked where I was from and I said, "I'm from Durham." and he said, "oh no kidding? I was stuck at the train station in durham because you don't have taxis and I had to call one in from dover to get me and bring me here." (at this point my dad walked over) Barry told my dad (whom he doesn't know) that he wished he'd known we lived in Durham because we could have given him a ride. He is an extremly friendly guy. Then he said, "hey, do you guys want to come on the bus and meet the guys?" obviously we said we'd love to. He said, "okay, just let me finish this wine, they don't allow alcohol on the bus." we talked for a few more minutes while he drank his wine, this is when he told us the band agreed that their second show/set of the night was one of the best they'd ever played. He then walked us out to the bus, the silverish gray bus (yes rico, that was for you, I know what color the bus was). We walked in and Jorma and Eric were sitting at a small table eating sandwiches. Barry introduced us and I told Jorma he played very well and some stupid stuff like that. Jorma said he hoped they could play there again. Then Jack walked into the "room" for lack of a better word and he told Barry he had met us outside before the shows, which he had. That's another story. Anyway, that is how I got on the bus. Rico, you are such a jackass it is unbelievable.
Sam

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions