Marty Balin

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:31 pm

I have always wondered why Grace and Marty never really seemed to get along too well.

Aside from their brilliant collaborative vocal creativity, it appears they really couldn't stand each other.

Wonder what's the deal there...
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Simple !

The answer is a question !

Who is more important ?

I say Grace !!!!!!
You say ?....
Chasin'Destiny

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I say this:

On a purely aesthetic level--

NOBODY could contend with the great, lovely, puberty-catalyzing GRACE SLICK...

BUTTT---

I DO also like the great MARTY BALIN's matchless vocal stylings... Wailing with emotional intensity and deep, heart-felt sincerity...

Only problem is MARTY is a boy... Therefore he is ALMOST but NOT QUITE as GREAT as GRACE!!!

Boys, am I right here, OR WHAT???
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:54 pm

It had to have wounded his pride to be upstaged by a woman in a band that he created. Slick had the better voice and songs in my opinion, but Balin's talent can't be denied. Both were required to make a great band and having both is what gave JA such an edge. They weren't as good after Balin left. It seems that people hardly even remember their last cds, which he isn't on. His absence signalled the end of JA as far as I'm concerned, yet their first cd, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, the one which Slick isn't on, is quite good. I think it's considerably better than Long John Silver and Bark.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby Morninggloryseed on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:40 pm

I've always loved Balin...I love all of the Airplane...even Paul. :)

Marty's voice sounds like peanut butter. "Count on Me" really is creamy (in a good way.)
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon"--My name here
Morninggloryseed

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:24 pm

At the time I definitely thought that Grace was the band. However, in restrospect, that was mostly teenage hormones speaking. In the past ten years or so I've come to respect Marty's vocals. I think that, subconciously, I always compared other bands' lead singers against Marty and found them to come up lacking. I had the opportunity to see Marty singing with the JS two years ago and was floored by how good he sounded.

When you get down to it, the Airplane was an accidental collection of incredible talent that meshed together in such a way that seldom occurs, at least these days...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:43 am

For the fans a warning ,don't look at it !...
This is an Evil picture , cruelty cruelty stuff !...
Grace & Paul did some Evil to poor Marty...

http://members.home.nl/jjurgens/Evil.jpg

The Best Male Voice ?

Art Garfunkel !...No Doubt...

Bridge Over Troubled Water
Sound Of Silence
Watership Down - Bright Eyes.....
Chasin'Destiny

Postby Morninggloryseed on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 pm

yet their first cd, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, the one which Slick isn't on, is quite good. I think it's considerably better than Long John Silver and Bark.

I missed this comment, and it is so true. Bark has a couple good songs (Law-Man is one) but both are very lacking. I think Sunfighter is much better than Long John Silver. But "Takes Off" is great. Let Me In and the other Kantner song (name escapes me) are among the best. I think "Don't Slip Away" was a missed-classic. Wish I had a live version.
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon"--My name here
Morninggloryseed

Postby lenceel on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:25 am

Jefferson Airplane Takes Off is an overlooked classic imo. its got great songs and i especially love signe anderson's vocals on chaffeur blues! who knows what might have been had she not gotten pregnant! Marty Balin probably would have been a happier man!

the friction between marty and grace has been mentioned here and i just wanted to add that i believe grace had sexual relations with every member of the band except marty (this is according to her biography and autobiography which are both good reads btw) - could there have been some jealousy on marty's behalf - not only jealousy in that she obviously overshadowed all the other members once she joined, but in that he was the only one she didn't sleep with?
lenceel

Postby Do A Line on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:13 pm

I was talking to Marty not to long ago and he had told me he would love nothing more than to get together with Grace and record some songs. He seemed genuine in his feelings. Whatever friction that had been present 40 years ago are long gone now.
Do A Line

Postby willie on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:26 am

Do A Line wrote:I was talking to Marty not to long ago and he had told me he would love nothing more than to get together with Grace and record some songs. He seemed genuine in his feelings. Whatever friction that had been present 40 years ago are long gone now.

Well, be sure to mention to him that there are plenty of fans left out here who would love to hear something new from them. 8)
willie

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Marty's been playing some shows with just guitarist Slick Agular backing him up. Lots of new songs...
Steve

Postby Bell on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:43 pm

lenceel wrote:Jefferson Airplane Takes Off is an overlooked classic imo. its got great songs and i especially love signe anderson's vocals on chaffeur blues!

100% agree. Anderson's vocals on Chaffeur Blues just pure energy rocking you like an ocean. Probably most powerful, strong and clear female voice I have ever heard. And quite intriguing contrast considering her physical dimensions :) I would be happy to hear her singing still more, but as I learner she didn't do any records after she left JA and now living hard life :(
Bell

Postby zeke on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:15 pm

signe anderson is great in every song. I wish she went on singing with JA.

don't you forget "today" it's another marty hit and yes don't slip away!!
zeke

Postby Do A Line on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:46 pm

I believe the last performance with Signe was in 2003 at the Marin Show. Here is a picture I took with her. Do

Do A Line

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions