Starship sounds so 80s

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Starship in the 80s

Good
8%
Mediocre
33%
Crap
58%

Total votes : 12

Starship sounds so 80s

Postby Indian Summer on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:32 pm

I recently found out that Starship (the band that released We Built This City) is formed out of Jefferson Airplane/Starship.
Yes, I knew Starship, but I never guessed that it is a legacy of JA.
I was shocked....how could musicians like Grace Slick and others that made epic albums in the 60s, release such a crap.
Synths were taking over the place, it is just mainstream commercial pop.

It stands far away from any hippie idealism or their identity as Jefferson Airplane.

Just my thoughts, what do you think?
Indian Summer

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:36 pm

There are more bands out there
from the same age as Jefferson Airplane.
Some OK! , some :roll: ....
Grace did say something about it.....

The 80s = The Hairspray Age

(i did a "..Mediocre..")
Last edited by Chasin'Destiny on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chasin'Destiny

Knee deep in the dog-doo...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Of course it's crap!
But if you set it alongside everything else from the 80's - it rises to the status of... "mediocre crap"!!
But also keep in mind - how many original members of JA were responsible for this?
I know that Jorma (with and without Jack) was performing some fine music, at that time...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Indian Summer on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:47 pm

What did Grace say????
That she regrets that period??

By the way, the 80s is my least favourite period...the the 60s and 70s are great....some of the 90s and nowadays, but the 80s?
All those acoustic guitarists that grabbed the synthesizer, even when it wasn't their thing :P
Indian Summer

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:16 pm

This is what she did say about
old people on stage......

http://www.msnbc.com/modules/take3/mar/ ... tm?s=4&p=4

And THAT is no crap !
Sometimes it's better to leave it all behind.
I agree with her statement.

Next one is hard but true !
http://members.home.nl/jjurgens/NoAngel.JPG
Chasin'Destiny

Postby willie on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:48 pm

the 80's weren't that bad, starship weren't that bad. Everyone harps on about the 60's. Try listening to 'sounds of the 60's' on bbc radio 2, it's truer to the real 60's than most programmes that only play the classics, and the majority of it is shite of the first degree. JA were a musical band (made up of a great combination of great musicians) Starship were a commerical pop band.
Last edited by willie on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:58 pm

A DVD from Jefferson Starship ;
http://www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com/catjs/index.htm

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/m ... v_id=63677

http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Jefferso ... index.html

Sound & Picture quality is 100% OK!
There is no info on that DVD just a concert.
A picture from that concert ;
http://members.home.nl/jjurgens/Grace_Paul.jpg

(Paul to Grace ; We are the best !)
Chasin'Destiny

Postby freakmeout on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:21 pm

I think that if I weren't such a fan of the Airplane, Starship would be a guilty pleasure.
Sometimes 80's music can be fun. I mean, "The Safety Dance"? Who DOESN'T love that song?
But since I AM such a big JA fan, Starship is just...ugh.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby zeke on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:53 pm

80s can be my favorite or least favorite period, there is a very thin line between :)

I enjoy the "hairy" mode, I enjoy the clothes, I enjoy the music - modern talking, belinda carlisle, cyndi lauper etc etc.. and I also know that they suck and they are kitsch yeah.it's still fun anyway.

but I don't think starship was a successful band.they couldn't make "good" music even for the 80s.they are so dull.
zeke

Postby jett on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:49 pm

ohhh.... so the other day i was listening to the radio and they were doing a countdown of the worst songs of all time. inevitable "We Built This City" came in at number one. i tend to disagree -- there's been far worse songs (Sara for example -- but that's neither here nor there :P ).

anyway, after the song was over, the DJ said something like "That was We Built This City, by Jefferson Starship. Or Jefferson Airplane. As if it matters".

it was one of those moments where you just want to throw your radio out the window. first of all, that's STARSHIP... not Jefferson Starship, and second of all, YES it matters. Jefferson Airplane was a creative and innovational psychedelic rock band, Jefferson Starship was a mediocre albeit tolerable continuation of what Jefferson Airplane started, and Starship... Starship was pre-chewed watered-down '80s pop schlock with one member (Grace Slick -- who wasn't even a founder of Airplane) the same as our beloved Jefferson Airplane, and even she was playing a different role in the band.

so basically what that Jefferson Airhead of a DJ had said was something to the effect of "That was Nirvana. Or The Foo Fighters. As if it matters".

anyway, "crap" vote from me! :lol:
check out my band Betty Machete
jett

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:32 am

It's all evil out there !

Next week in the show a special,
The Old Black Sabbath does a thing
with Madona they are playing ABBA songs.......
And my bad dogs are falling from the table....

Thanx....
Chasin'Destiny

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:21 am

Yeah that STARSHIP stuff... '80s-style synths and polished veneer. As far as I can tell, they started pretty much sucking from Nuclear Furniture until Paul finally split. After that, they were just so awfully bad they were almost good. Definitely a guilty pleasure. One can find themself subconsciously bopping or singing along mindlessly when "We Built This city" or "Sara" comes on the radio these days.

Just do not listen to "We Can Be Together" and "We Built This City" together. You may just induce vomiting.
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Indian Summer on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:40 am

Madonna made pop in 1983 and she still makes pop in 2006.
She is consistent to herself, whatever you think about her music.

The problem I have with Starship, is not only the music.
I keep question myself how 'some' of the JA members throw away their music creativity and started making bubblegum pop.
The contrast of the idealism & rock n' roll attitude and the extreme makeover 8) is 'too' big.

But maybe it's because I'm a child of the 90s.
I grew up with the rise of britrock, the 80s is a blurry period for me.
Indian Summer

Postby Jon_G on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:13 am

- so what if Starship sound a bit Glossy and Power Rock - why expect the musicians to spend all their time thrashing around like yippies when there's radio play at stake?
And look at what Blur are doing now - Gorillaz are hardly cutting edge, they're 80's Britfunk retreads with some murky cartoon graphics attached. Graham Coxon's kept his credibility though (somehow) ...
It really is time for some new, interesting, literate bands to break through in the US - Smashing Pumpkins were over a decade ago :

listen to: http://www.radio-indie-pop.com for the best new stuff
Jon_G

Postby zeke on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:09 am

I like gorillaz more than blur but starship didn't make good music like gorillaz.they basically ruined the JA heritage.
zeke

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions