Fly Jefferson Airplane DVD

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Fly Jefferson Airplane DVD

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:53 pm

I just got this totally groovy document of my all-time favorite band. I haven't even checked it out all the way yet but what I have peeped is VERY GROOVY!

One thing I particularly dig is the recent interviews of the band members. I mean what is great is that, with the sad exception of Spencer's recent untimely demise, these guys (and gals) are SURVIVORS. They are still with us, and to a great extent, have remained true to the integrity of their original ideals.

What are y'all's thoughts on this DVD? I know this topic has already been discussed... But what are some of y'all's favorites and stuff like that?
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:26 am

That DVD is a must have for everyone !,
if you like The Jefferson Airplane you should have it !.
The picture & sound quality of that is GREAT !
Some information about the 60s without
telling to much ,Grace looks as always great !
(with a black-face to !, doing that BlackPanther thing !)
There are pictures on it......etc etc.

A long story....in a very short way ;

GO ! ,and buy that DVD !.....
And Have Fun !.....
Chasin'Destiny

Goldmine, and it's all mine!

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 am

Maybe I have to go see if the library has this...
Sounds ridiculous, right - imagine how suprised I was to find Grateful Dead at Winterland and Jimi Hendrix at Montery there?
I have been educated!!!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Mace Soplick on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:43 am

I'd like to recommend you, nice people, a great DVD about Big Brother and The Holding Company - it's called "900 Nights". It's brilliant; It shows Janis in memory of each member of the band, they also remind us wonderful 60's.... It's fun to look at "boys" - Sam, James, Peter and Dave - who already look like grandfathers..... Yeah, but it's a little bit sad to.... :( Well, "900 Nights" has loads of powerful, extra music by BBHC and is worth seeing. REaLlY!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
If you smile at me
You know I will understand
'Cause this is something everybody everywhere
Does in the same language :)
Mace Soplick

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:42 am

Stay on topic! We talking about JA here now! 8)

I can't believe how great this DVD really is. I mean the band is just ON FIRE on every song! I mean Peaking! one comes way with the real idea that not only would any real fan obviously love this, but even non-fans who really watch it would have to come away thinking that these guys really were the greatest American rock band ever of all time. I mean the best. #1.
It's really great to see all the recent modern-day interviews with every member, even Spencer before his untimely passing. These guys are nothing if not survivors.
Fly Jefferson Airplane is a qualityproduct and a valuable document fully loaded with phenomenal archival footage of the band when they were at their legendary best. So intense and burning with the volatile energy of the times.

PEACE
DonRico1967

Postby ceangle13 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:36 pm

Fly! is a great DVD, and the interviews and concert footage are extra added bonuses. But I do find it to be a bit incomplete- no mention of Papa John Creach!!!!! Yes, it was toward the later part of the Airplane, but he was a significant part of the sound towards the end before spinning off into Hot Tuna! I had a few other gripes but I can't quite remember at this time.
ceangle13

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 pm

I feel the same way. There is no account whatsoever of the time period after 1970. Until the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 1996 performance of "Embryonic Journey".
Between that severely lacking.
I am talking mostly about 1971-1972 and the live shows from that era when they were by that time a humongous super mega-group are curiously absent.
I luv me some good ol' Papa John Creach!

Where's the fix?
DonRico1967

Postby freakmeout on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:49 am

I don't have it yet. :oops: :oops: But I want it, I just haven't found it yet.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Now waaaaaaiiiiit a minute...

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 am

Wasn't Papa John Creach with Hot Tuna first, and then when Jorma and Jack left - he stayed with the "Jefferson whatever"?
Just a minor detail - but it seemed odd that he did not go with J+J, as the Hot Tuna style fitted him better than the JA/JS style??
Honestly, I liked his fiddlin' - but maybe the Hot Tuna sound would have been too constrained if he had been present on every one of their albums??? (no disrespect intended)
jimmie ray

Postby ceangle13 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:30 am

I do believe that Papa John was brought in by J & J, but he was a member of the Airplane, and contributed to their sound.- he wrote Milk Train with Grace and is on Thirty Seconds Over Winterland. I just think that whenever a band of such caliber picks up a 50 year old black violin player- it should be worth talking about, however short lived it was.
ceangle13

Postby FirstBassman on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:37 am

I do believe that Papa John was brought in by J & J

Actually he was brought in by Joey Covington. Thet met at a musicians union unemployment line. Papa John played w/ JA/JS at the same time as Tuna.
FirstBassman

Proud to be a union man...

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:16 pm

I remember that coming up before - but...
What was Joey Covington doing on an unemployment line, if he was employed as Hot Tuna's first (?) drummer?
On a more ridiculous note - what was a fiddle player the caliber of Papa John Creach doing on an unemployment line, anyway??
Unless they were working, but "off the books" - and getting a little extra from the union???
jimmie ray

Postby FirstBassman on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 pm

Well, I think it is a matter of just keeping track of the chronological order.
Years before Covington joined the Airplane he had met Papa John, as said, at a union hall. (They even attempted to form a band together.)
After Covington joined JA, he recommended Papa John and he joined the band. Jorma and Jack only met Papa John AFTER he joined the Airplane. And then he subsequently played with Tuna also. (It’s all in Jeff’s book.) Hope that helps.
FirstBassman

All in the family...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:19 pm

O.K. - I guess that I assumed that both Covington and Papa John were with Hot Tuna before JA. Thanks!
jimmie ray

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:36 pm

These recordings from Wolfgangs Vault,
is there any news ?......Could there be
some video recordings with 'never-seen-before'
things...like Papa John Creach ?....

We should all send 'm an email !
How long waiting for that ?

There maybe recordings....or not....
Recordings for TV ?.....
Chasin'Destiny

Next