Jefferson Airplane and Woodstock

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby The Other Side on Tue May 30, 2006 5:15 am

A little background on the Airplane's gig at Woodstock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word is that the band had dropped early in the evening so they'd be peaking when they hit the stage. Problem was, they didn't hit until dawn, just after the Who. Probably a bit better actually. Some said their performance was sloppy, but (not there) I thought from what I heard that they sounded great. Grace looked outstanding. Had to have been wild that night- Sly & the Family Stone, Ten Years After, The Who for sure played that evening, leading up to the Airplane.

Too young to go. Just about to turn fourteen two weeks later. Two seniors did go. Had too much fun and didn't come home until two weeks into school.

Strange days. Just landed on the moon. The war. The Vietnam Moratorium in November.
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby psychhead on Tue May 30, 2006 4:34 pm

:twisted: :twisted: 8) Yep, strange days indeed and all dipped in that wild VIBE called Woodstock. :D
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby FirstBassman on Wed May 31, 2006 2:42 pm

A little background on the Airplane's gig at Woodstock. Correct me if I'm wrong,

You are basically correct. Though I'm not eactly sure if I caught what your question was.

Background - the original intent of the promoters was to have the stage (one large circle) rotate. While one band was playing, the crew would set up the next act on the other side of the stage. When it came time for the next act all they had to do was rotate the stage to face the audience and repeat the process. Unfortunately the site of the festival was switched (again) at the last minute from near Middletown NY (in Orange County) to near Bethel/White Lake (in Sullivan County). And therefore the builders didn't have time to set up the stage so it would rotate. So, there were long pauses between acts and it completely messed up the schedule. Thus the Airplane, who were supposed to go on on Saturday night, actually started to perform on Sunday morning.

Hope that helps.
- Mark (Class of Woodstock 1969)
FirstBassman

Postby FirstBassman on Wed May 31, 2006 2:43 pm

A little background on the Airplane's gig at Woodstock. Correct me if I'm wrong,

You are basically correct. Though I'm not eactly sure if I caught what your question was.

Background - the original intent of the promoters was to have the stage (one large circle) rotate. While one band was playing, the crew would set up the next act on the other side of the stage. When it came time for the next act all they had to do was rotate the stage to face the audience and repeat the process. Unfortunately the site of the festival was switched (again) at the last minute from near Middletown NY (in Orange County) to near Bethel/White Lake (in Sullivan County). And therefore the builders didn't have time to set up the stage so it would rotate. So, there were long pauses between acts and it completely messed up the schedule. Thus the Airplane, who were supposed to go on on Saturday night, actually started to perform on Sunday morning.

Hope that helps.
FirstBassman

Postby FirstBassman on Wed May 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Hope that helps.
FirstBassman

Postby FirstBassman on Wed May 31, 2006 2:45 pm

SORRY FOR THE TRIPLE POST.
I WAS GETTING DEBUG ERRRORS AND THOUGHT IT DIDN'T GO THROUGH.
FirstBassman

Postby Indian Summer on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 am

Nice topic, started by a 'guest from holland' :wink:

So, there were long pauses between acts and it completely messed up the schedule

Woodstock was a mess in many ways, but all worked well...
Recent discussions pointed out what Woodstock meant and how important JA's performance was.
In an interview with Grace (Fly Jefferson Airplane DVD) she mentioned that the 'Monterey' performance was by far the best.
History learnd us that most of the people around know the band from 'Surrealistic Pillow' and the Woodstock 'performance'.
Woodstock was the biggest event of the late 60s and is still symbol of recistance and unity.
Our generation needs that symbol more than ever in times of war, radical religions and the destruction of nature.
Paul Kantner was aware about the 'spirit' of Woodstock; more than other members of the band.
'Blows Against The Empire' is the biggest example on record.
He showed us the power of the festival by expressing it on his songs.
Indian Summer

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 pm

And Jack Casady did say something like;

"...and the rain did make us all equal..."

Maybe not 100% his words, but the message...

:roll: ...
Chasin'Destiny

Postby pete44fox on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:55 pm

The Who - Is that the "Tommy" Who ?
Didn't realize they were there, at Woodstock II.
Outdoors, good music, fun times, relaxation = What's on schedule for this Spring, Summer, and Fall?

Steppenwolf is on tour. http://www.steppenwolf.com
Jimmy Buffet - The Conch Republic, always a blast.

...Here is a nice one, kind ofunknown ? .......http://catiecurtis.com/index.php?page=calendar
...Touring NC, GA, and FL this week. in the USA.

Thanks.
Wahoo Wah, Janis would shout, insanely loud, starting the show
pete44fox

Postby psychhead on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:51 am

pete44fox wrote:The Who - Is that the "Tommy" Who ?
Didn't realize they were there, at Woodstock II.
Outdoors, good music, fun times, relaxation = What's on schedule for this Spring, Summer, and Fall?

Steppenwolf is on tour. http://www.steppenwolf.com
Jimmy Buffet - The Conch Republic, always a blast.

...Here is a nice one, kind ofunknown ? .......http://catiecurtis.com/index.php?page=calendar
...Touring NC, GA, and FL this week. in the USA.

Thanks.

...................and the My Generation Who too!!!! 8) :wink:
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions