Equipment

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby FirstBassman on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Sorry, in my haste to load an avatar, I got lazy and just chose something that LOOKED like my gear.

Here is a link to my Ibanez:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=GAXB150
I wanted something solid, cheap, sounded good and I wouldn’t cry too much if it got damaged.

The avatar was supposed to look like my Jay Turser:
(scroll down to model JTB-134).
http://www.jayturser.com/bass-guitars2.htm
Since it is a hollow body I tend to be more careful with this one.

I will change it.

To complete the “audio picture:â€
FirstBassman

Who's on first?

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:24 pm

No big thing - I'm just trying to gain more savvy on understanding how these things work, and getting better at identifying different makes.
Don't some solidbody basses have those "f" shaped (cutouts ?) on them, for whatever reason?
You're the "Mark" from Virginia, then? My parents live there, near Charlottesville. Horse country - beautiful and laid back area!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Charlottesville

Postby FirstBassman on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:46 pm

Yes, one and the same. I live outside DC though. Charlottesville is not too far away. Was only there once.

Solid body guitars/basses with f-holes? I can't remember seeing any. If so, they would be carved in or painted, wouldn't they? If they were truly holes in the top then it wouldn't be solid would it. It would have to be hollow.

As Monty Python said, "If we took out the bones, it wouldn't bloody well be Crunchy Frog, now would it!"
FirstBassman

Bring out yer dead...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:50 am

That's why I was guessing Gibson as your avatar. I understand they made one of the first models of electrified bass. Some of the solidbody EB series had the "f" shaped thingies on them - painted on, I guess?
I first noticed this when looking at old pictures of Felix Pappalardi of Mountain - he played an EB-1, that looks so weird. But I like his style!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby frankbird on Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:25 pm

The f-hole on the EB-1 was painted on since it was a solid body masquerading as a hollow body.

BTW - those were great explanations from the Firstbassman!
frankbird

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions