Newcomer to the Airplane

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:29 pm

Perhaps the JA staff is having some fun with us. :-)
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby GrownUpAllWrong on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:17 pm

SadieMaeGlutz wrote:I am also a latecomer to Jefferson Airplane's music. I only bought their cds very recently and Surrealistic Pillow is my favorite among them. Grace Slick has the best female singing voice for rock I have ever heard.

I have to agree with you on Grace being the best female rock singer. Growing up with the likes of Courtney Love you kinda get abit down about women in rock we dont have many cool role models. Grace on the otherhand is ideal, she's cool, looks good, and also writes which is rare for many female artists....
I've only just got into JA, I picked up a compilation when I was about 18 but it didn't really grab me, since then I've got into the dead etc....

My favourite album is Volunteers. 8)

Hello! everyone... :D (it's my first post :wink: )
GrownUpAllWrong

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 pm

Slick's vocals are out of this world. Cass Elliot also had a great voice, but I prefer Slick. It's sexier.

Courtney Love has no singing voice to speak of. There are probably only a handful of singers out now who have great voices. There's not a lot of talent out there now and when you find it, those people usually have nothing nice to say.

I want to get into the Grateful Dead as part of my interest in all things 60's.

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 pm

The above post was mine, just letting you know. I keep getting bounced around.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby GrownUpAllWrong on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:01 am

I love the Mamas and Papas, Cass had a beautiful voice and Michelle is one cool chica, but I agree Grace has a much sexier rockier voice, she's the number one female in my eyes.

A good place to start with the Dead is Workingmans Dead or American Beauty which have a nice folky feel. They are all great... :) except maybe some of the later stuff. :?
GrownUpAllWrong

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:52 am

The Mamas and the Papas were a great band, but unfortunately, they didn't last. California Dreamin', in my opinion, was one of the greatest songs ever written.

Cass did have a great voice, even live. I don't have any of her solo stuff yet, but will be picking that up.

It's a shame she died when she did. She was on top of her career and had a little girl to take care of. She was a beautiful woman too.

I heard that Workingman's and American Beauty were their two best albums. I didn't know they did folk music.
SadieMaeGlutz

Live dead...

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:36 am

I like alot of the live Dead albums. Europe 72 and the one with the skeleton that has roses on it (untitled?). Brown eyed women and red grenadine, the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean!
I've noticed alot of people here having problems with posting - I find that I have to do the log-in thing twice each time, to show my name. That doesn't seem right, but that at least it works. There is a feature to automatically log you in, but I haven't tried that - sometimes you just want to read the forum, and not post anything. It is a little perturbing to see so many posts by "Guest", so maybe someone should contact the administrator about this?
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:19 pm

Any band that has the staying power of the Grateful Dead is a band I want to listen to. One of the few modern bands I love is Dave Matthews Band and I've been told that they have been inspired by them.

I love the whole counterculture thinking that the Dead were a part of.

With regard to the "guest" problem, I think what you have to do is check where it says "Log out" right before you post and see if your screen name is visible. If it is, you can post. If not, go back and retype it to make sure you're really logged in. When I do that, I can post with my screen name.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby freakmeout on Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:02 pm

Mama Cass had a heart attack I think, right?
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:12 pm

I don't know if it was a heart attack exactly, but the problem was her heart.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby sarah81744 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:I want to get into the Grateful Dead as part of my interest in all things 60's.

me too.

I love The Mamas & The Papas - I only have California Dreamin'. Ill get more later.
sarah81744

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:39 pm

What I liked so much about the Mamas and the Papas was that they seemed so down to earth and normal. Whenever I see pictures of them sitting on the ground together and singing, I feel like I want to walk over to them and join in the fun.
SadieMaeGlutz

Airplane lives

Postby D-Day on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:29 am

I'm by no means a newcomer to Airplane, I was pinching my brothers (I can't spell vi-nal for some reason tonight) as a little kid back before Saigon fell.

When I was in Iraq last year, I had left the door to my hootch open and was in there cranking out Somebody to Love, etc when the very old Sgt. Maj came and poked his head in. He had this sort of lost, stunned look on his face.

"Where did you get that?"
"Sgt major?"
"Do you know who that is?"
Long pause..."They're the guys who wrote the soundtrack to your first war, I believe."
"I was twenty..."

He sort of look off into somewhere that wasn't there anymore and after a while said, "We were so young."

He had tears in his eyes, so did I.

They walk with us still...
D-Day

Re: Airplane lives

Postby psychhead on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:38 am

:wink: :roll: The story you told here was very cool. That "nothing" he was looking into is still here among us....we only have to have the courage to find it...again!!!!! 8)

D-Day wrote:I'm by no means a newcomer to Airplane, I was pinching my brothers (I can't spell vi-nal for some reason tonight) as a little kid back before Saigon fell.

When I was in Iraq last year, I had left the door to my hootch open and was in there cranking out Somebody to Love, etc when the very old Sgt. Maj came and poked his head in. He had this sort of lost, stunned look on his face.

"Where did you get that?"
"Sgt major?"
"Do you know who that is?"
Long pause..."They're the guys who wrote the soundtrack to your first war, I believe."
"I was twenty..."

He sort of look off into somewhere that wasn't there anymore and after a while said, "We were so young."

He had tears in his eyes, so did I.

They walk with us still...
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Jorma

Postby guest on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:43 pm

:D Jorma is rated 14 of top 100 guitarist by Digital Dreamdoor , and 54 of 100 by Rolling Stone mag.

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions