Newcomer to the Airplane

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Newcomer to the Airplane

Postby goodfelladh on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Hey all,

After recently getting into the Grateful Dead and all things late-60s/pschedelic music, I've been listening to Jefferson Airplane a lot lately. Through my college, we have a set-up where we can legally download albums for a small monthly fee to listen to on the computer, and I've basically downloaded the entire Airplane catalogue. The only album I actually "own" is Surrealistic Pillow, but that will be changing shortly.

All I really knew of them before I started listening to them for real were "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit" and the vocals of Slick... I didn't realize how great the music was. Jorma might be the most underrated guitarist I can think of... fits perfectly with the band. You never hear him talked about.

I still love listening to the Dead's live shows, but as far as studio albums I have a feeling I'll be spinning the Airplane a lot more than others. Were their live shows great as well?

I look forward to participating on the forums in the future.
goodfelladh

Good to hear!

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:38 am

It's so cool to hear about young (I assume) people getting into music from past generations! It gives me a positive feeling that the names and styles won't be lost in the future!!
Jorma is definitely underrated, and Jack Casady on bass is the absolute best - hands down!!!
Have you heard any Hot Tuna? That's Jorma and Jack and friends - they play acoustic and electric, blues, pyschedelic, folk... They are touring alot still, mostly in the east and some in the midwest U.S.A. - if you live in these areas, I highly recommend checking them out - there are tour dates on Jorma Kaukonen's website.
I have Jefferson Airplane's famous live album "Bless It's Pointed Little Head" - it has some great versions of some songs from " Surrealistic Pillow". The recording quality isn't too bad, but other live stuff I've heard seems to be poorly recorded, with the sound levels all over the place. Maybe someone else can recommend live performances that are worth checking out?
I am definitely not a JA expert, but thought I could start this off with some response...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby hunter on Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:14 am

Jefferson Airplane have been such an infulence on me..Grace Slick made me want to sing...i'm getting there.....it is progressing.. but they have been one of my favourite bands...hmm..the only thing my father did for me.. get me into some amazing talented musical acts....yes.. hot tuna are great...mmmm....haha..but yes..Jorma was very skilled..and underappreciated..just recienly i put them on without having listening to them for a month or so.. and it was like redescovering them all over again...it was reallly quite amazing...just the music and the vocals are stunning Martys hunny coated vocals are just beautiful..and Graces are just..hauntingly spooky..it just makes me go wow...did thhese people really exaict and make some of the best music ever...they still amaze me even today...good luck keep looking for JA music...keep descovering new and more exciting sounds...
hunter

Postby psychhead on Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:37 am

:D A very kool welcome to you on this flight man!!!! May your stay here be LONG!!!!!!
Enjoy and happy trails to U!!!!!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 pm

I am also a latecomer to Jefferson Airplane's music. I only bought their cds very recently and Surrealistic Pillow is my favorite among them. Grace Slick has the best female singing voice for rock I have ever heard.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby psychhead on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:15 am

:D :D Welckie to YOU latecomer!!! Better late than NEVER, right??!! 8) 8)
Happy trails!!

SadieMaeGlutz wrote:I am also a latecomer to Jefferson Airplane's music. I only bought their cds very recently and Surrealistic Pillow is my favorite among them. Grace Slick has the best female singing voice for rock I have ever heard.
psychhead

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks! Oh yes, better late than never. I love them so much now, I can't imagine my life without their music.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby psychhead on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:43 am

Neither can I, neither can I. What's your fave song? Mine is Today!!! :wink:

SadieMaeGlutz wrote:Thanks! Oh yes, better late than never. I love them so much now, I can't imagine my life without their music.
psychhead

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Today is gorgeous, but I think my favorite song overall has to be White Rabbit. It didn't affect me very much when I first heard it, but after a few listens, I felt the power.

Somebody to Love is a masterpiece too and I'm also crazy about She Has Funny Cars. I don't get the title though.

Rejoyce has been running through my mind. I've been playing After Bathing at Baxter's for days.

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:17 pm

The "guest" response above is mine. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:19 pm

Okay, let's try this again.

Can you see me now?

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:19 pm

::gives up::

Postby psychhead on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:20 pm

:D I love all the songs you mentioned too of course!!! There isn't one that I don't dig!! Regarding She has funny cars, it's s avery psychedelic name for a song, don't you think so?! 8)

Anonymous wrote:Today is gorgeous, but I think my favorite song overall has to be White Rabbit. It didn't affect me very much when I first heard it, but after a few listens, I felt the power.

Somebody to Love is a masterpiece too and I'm also crazy about She Has Funny Cars. I don't get the title though.

Rejoyce has been running through my mind. I've been playing After Bathing at Baxter's for days.
psychhead

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:23 pm

I definitely agree with you about the title.

I even like the first Jefferson Airplane album without Grace. They had a blues sound there that wasn't bad.

When I'm through with Baxter's I'm going to play Volunteers. I'm taking my sweet time enjoying their stuff.
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby psychhead on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:24 pm

:wink: :twisted: :?: Not only do I see you as a guest, but MY avatar shows a silly little box with a silly little cross in it......and the funny thing is that I see the same silly box for some other member's avatars too. Something is wrong...spooky :shock: :shock:

Anonymous wrote:The "guest" response above is mine. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
psychhead

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions