Best guitar solo

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Best live JA...

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:10 am

I have "Bless It's Pointed Little Head" on vinyl. It's very old, and been played and played. The performance level and sound quality still seem to far exceed other live JA recordings that I've heard. On some other recordings - it seems like the instruments' sound level is brought way down during the vocal parts, or not as defined.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby KharmaKreep on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:45 am

Someone mentioned earlier about the "minimalism" with Darby Slick's guitar playing in one of the Great Society's songs.
There is great minimalism in the album, "Double Dose" by Hot Tuna live. Check out the acoustic sessions on it. The tone is just wild. It is amazing what a good guitar/good guitar player/ and metallic fingerpicks can achieve. All these combine to make for great minimalism folky feel.

One should simply check out this album period. The electric stuff will is nothing short of wicked, trippie, and not to mention great versions of serpent of dreams, i see the light, genesis, and watch the northwind rise.
HELL this whole damn album is kick ass. I could die for Killing Time in the Crystal City too!!!
If you only lived on earth....you'd never see the sun... or the promise of 1,000 other suns that glow beyond here.....and if you care to see the future...look into the eyes of your young dancing children don't be afraid of our ways!!
KharmaKreep

greatest guitar solo

Postby lenceel on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 am

if you limit it strictly to airplane tunes, my favorite solo by jorma has always been on wooden ships. hey frederick and feel so good are also favorites. of course, there's also embryonic journey!
lenceel

Postby Steve on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Hey Frederick on Volunteers is double tracked. Jorma is playing two different guitar leads.
Steve

Postby psychhead on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 pm

:D 8) Someone here mentioned Today.....beuatiful guitar/voice interaction in this SUPERB song!!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:50 pm

:D 8) Someone here mentioned Today.....beautiful guitar/voice interaction in this SUPERB song!!!
psychhead

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:47 am

One of the most beautyful solos
comes from Carlos Santana.......
........Samba Pa Ti......

That guitar solo could be the best
of all time, maybe not the most
technical-high-end-guitar-master (bla blabla).

But it is beautyful....
Chasin'Destiny

Postby freakmeout on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:48 am

Hey, psychhead, that avatar's a bit big, dontcha think?]

On topic now, my favorite guitar solo?! I can't choose! But the live version of "Pooneil" is up there.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby Sam on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:00 pm

Spare Chaynge.
Sam

Postby psychhead on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:28 am

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :evil:

freakmeout wrote:Hey, psychhead, that avatar's a bit big, dontcha think?]

On topic now, my favorite guitar solo?! I can't choose! But the live version of "Pooneil" is up there.
psychhead

Postby willie on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Many people rave over pooneil on this site but I've never really thought it that outstanding. So I tried Sams listening in a confined space, LOUD method...........now I see!...... Still not as good as Aerie, but your all right it is a great piece of work.
willie

Postby Sam on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:44 pm

willie wrote:Many people rave over pooneil on this site but I've never really thought it that outstanding. So I tried Sams listening in a confined space, LOUD method...........now I see!...... Still not as good as Aerie, but your all right it is a great piece of work.

I love Pooneil, I always have. The feedback at the beginning just crashing through, I love that kind of stuff. Plus, Jacks bass just booms through the room and Jorma's lead is amazing. I don't know if anyone else gets this feeling, but when I listen to that song (and pretty much the whole album) chills run up my spine. I've always liked spare chaynge the best though. That really got me into psychedelic music, it's so free. I just love it!
Sam

Postby psychhead on Tue May 02, 2006 5:36 pm

:D That's psychedlics for ya!!!!
psychhead

Postby Jon_G on Thu May 11, 2006 3:28 pm

the guitar part that runs through 'Plastic Fantastic Lover' springs to mind here - the intro is a real attention grabber for the rest of the song
Jon_G

Postby psychhead on Fri May 12, 2006 5:45 am

:D 8) Yep, it's a nice hook indeed!! :wink:

Jon_G wrote:the guitar part that runs through 'Plastic Fantastic Lover' springs to mind here - the intro is a real attention grabber for the rest of the song
psychhead

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions