Rockin'at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psychedelic Rock DVD

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Rockin'at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psychedelic Rock DVD

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:15 am

:D 8) :?: I was just offered to buy a DVD called "Rockin' at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psych Rock" including Big Brother and the Holding Co., QMS, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane.etc. all performing at the legendary Red Dog Saloon, Virginia City!!!!!!! Any of you have it?? Is it worthwhile buying??!!! I know that the Red Dog is the legendary spot where it all happened the first time8) :D :D!!!!!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Re: Rockin'at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psychedelic Rock DVD

Postby Whenheco on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:37 am

psychhead wrote::D 8) :?: I was just offered to buy a DVD called "Rockin' at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psych Rock" including Big Brother and the Holding Co., QMS, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane.etc. all performing at the legendary Red Dog Saloon, Virginia City!!!!!!! Any of you have it?? Is it worthwhile buying??!!! I know that the Red Dog is the legendary spot where it all happened the first time8) :D :D!!!!!!

Never heard of it, but the line up looks great. I believe the Red Dog was the homeground of The Charlatans. Any more info ?
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:07 am

:?: 8) I didn't know of it either until now!!! The only thing more I can add is that the Charlatans are there too!!!
psychhead

Postby Whenheco on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:27 am

Would love to see the dvd myselve. How much does that person ask for it?
If the price is right, i would buy it 8)
Whenheco

Postby MARK on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:29 am

Yes, the film (on DVD) just came out.
From Monterey Media: http://www.montereymedia.com/music/rock ... d_dog.html

Yoy don't have to hunt for it. it's available everywhere, including Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

Enjoy, - Mark
MARK

Postby Whenheco on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:16 pm

MARK wrote:Yes, the film (on DVD) just came out.
From Monterey Media: http://www.montereymedia.com/music/rock ... d_dog.html

Yoy don't have to hunt for it. it's available everywhere, including Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

Enjoy, - Mark

Hey, thank's. If it's officialy released the quality is most likely great also 8)
Whenheco

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:49 pm

I just ordered it, as well as "A Night At The Family Dog", although that one won't be released until September. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby psychhead on Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:26 am

:D 8) I got the news from an Italian CD distributor, so the price is in Euro..........I don't remember the price right now, but I can find out!!
Your best bet would be Amazon tho, as was suggested here on the thread!!!!

Whenheco wrote:Would love to see the dvd myselve. How much does that person ask for it?
psychhead

Postby Whenheco on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:03 am

psychhead wrote::D 8) I got the news from an Italian CD distributor, so the price is in Euro..........I don't remember the price right now, but I can find out!!
Your best bet would be Amazon tho, as was suggested here on the thread!!!!

Whenheco wrote:Would love to see the dvd myselve. How much does that person ask for it?

Found the dvd at some other webstores too. Think i'm going to order it today, together with Festival Express and Night at the Family Dog 8)
Whenheco

Postby gTarFreak on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:58 pm

'Red Dog' came today. If you're expecting a concert video, you'll be disappointed. What it is, is an excellant look at the origin of the latter half of the 60's. It provides a better understanding of the people and the atmosphere that evolved into the San Francisco scene. Musically it focuses on The Charlatans, the 'house band' at the Red Dog, and the time period between 1964 and 1967. It does have some brief footage of Big Brother, with and without Janice, and the soundtrack includes all the bands mentioned in the advertising.

For me, it was worth the priice, as it fills in a lot history that I was unaware of. It correctly points out that for those of us on the other side of the country all we knew about the California scene was what we read in the magazines and saw on the news, and that the press was totally clueless as to what was really going on and why. Through the eyes of the Charlatans and the owners of the Red Dog and Family dog you get a much clearer picture of what went on.

My $.02, anyway...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Whenheco on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:39 am

gTarFreak wrote:'Red Dog' came today. If you're expecting a concert video, you'll be disappointed. What it is, is an excellant look at the origin of the latter half of the 60's. It provides a better understanding of the people and the atmosphere that evolved into the San Francisco scene. Musically it focuses on The Charlatans, the 'house band' at the Red Dog, and the time period between 1964 and 1967. It does have some brief footage of Big Brother, with and without Janice, and the soundtrack includes all the bands mentioned in the advertising.

For me, it was worth the priice, as it fills in a lot history that I was unaware of. It correctly points out that for those of us on the other side of the country all we knew about the California scene was what we read in the magazines and saw on the news, and that the press was totally clueless as to what was really going on and why. Through the eyes of the Charlatans and the owners of the Red Dog and Family dog you get a much clearer picture of what went on.

My $.02, anyway...

Cheers,
Dave

Thank's for the summary Dave. They're isn't much info about it yet. I realy hoped for some full performances (the info available now is pretty missleading imho), but i'll still buy it for the educational purpuse.
What always amazed me was that "The Charlatans" who basicly started off the SF scene (they even feature on the worlds first psych poster) never got well known outside San Fransisco. They had some good songs (codine blues, i saw here, 32-20 and Alabama bound to name a few) but never got an hit record.
Whenheco

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:32 pm

One of the interesting things that the video points out is that all this took place before anyone had a hit record. The Charlatans, Quicksilver, Big Brother and the Airplane were all pretty much seen as equals. No one really knew what they were doing or where it was all going. They just knew they were all having fun doing it.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Kool

Postby psychhead on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:35 pm

8) :D gTF: Thanx for the tip! Nice insight on the psych scene!!! So it's worth buying then!!! :P
psychhead

Re:

Postby oldblue on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 pm

gTarFreak wrote:One of the interesting things that the video points out is that all this took place before anyone had a hit record. The Charlatans, Quicksilver, Big Brother and the Airplane were all pretty much seen as equals. No one really knew what they were doing or where it was all going. They just knew they were all having fun doing it.

Cheers,
Dave

hit records helped kill it all
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Re: Rockin'at the Red Dog: Dawn of Psychedelic Rock DVD

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:58 pm

I found this DVD to be a waste of time, as it had almost no live music footage on it. The cover is very misleading, as there was no "Rockin" within it. Luckily, I didn't pay for it, but just borrowed it from the library.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions