Got a Revolution?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Got a Revolution?

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:40 am

ImageImage
Where are all the Airplane fans at?
Come out and play!
Jefferson Airplane's debut show was on August 13, 1965 at
the Matrix nightclub in San Francisco. The first
performance featured Marty Balin on vocals, Paul Kantner on
vocals/rhythm guitar, and Jorma Kaukonen on lead guitar.
Signe Anderson, (who sang on Jefferson Airplane's first
recording "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off') also performed.
The bass player, Jack Casady and drummer Skip Spence, (who
was later one of the original members of Moby Grape) joined
the band two months later. Spencer Dryden became the
drummer in June of 1966 and Grace Slick joined as vocalist
in October of 1966. The band performed the first concert
for Bill Graham at the legendary Fillmore Auditorium in San
Francisco in February of 1966.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"I used to feel bad about being born too late in the 1960's to absorb fully the signal American epoch -- most efficiently embodied by Woodstock, Watergate and the Vietnam war -- that followed. The American generation I fell into grew up feeling a little bit like a bunch of left-out losers, because the Baby Boomers would have you know that in order to understand the United States and politics and tragedy and intellectual freedom, you had to have lived through the demonstrations against the Vietnam War and the assassinations of the 1960's. The heroes of my generation were not murdered; we didn't discover LSD; we didn't protest wars. Our hero was the Six Million Dollar Man. All we got was disco, Ronald Reagan, chronic fatigue syndrome and a few half hearted nostalgic strikes at Columbia University, 20 years late."
JA Survey
What is your favorite album?
What is your favorite album cover?
Which songs do you favor?
Which one has the best message?
Which song represents you?
Which songs do you overplay?
Which is the most underrated JA song?
Favorite vocalist?
Favorite instrumentalist?
What's your least favorite album (or not as played album)?
Least favorite song?
Most annoying song?
Most repetitive song?
Last song to be stuck in your head?
What was the first song you remember listening to?
What's their best show?
Favorite year for JA?
Have you asked alice?
Read any books on JA?
Seen any of their concerts?
Have you meet any of the members?
Which member are you dying to meet?
Would you change anything about the band?
"Without Monterey Pop Festival there wouldn’t have been a Woodstock, and in many ways I honestly find Monterey Pop more interesting than Woodstock. Unpopular Opinion but there you go. I mean, Monterey Pop took place during the HEIGHT of the Summer of Love (which really is quite darker than people like to admit or characterize but that’s another story because I prob shouldn’t go on my 60s subculture stanning rn) while Woodstock took place in 1969. I’m not saying that Woodstock is any less culturally significant because of that, because it’s not, but I hate that Monterey Pop is rarely given the attention it deserves. Also, Otis Fucking Redding performed, and Jimi Hendrix’s…guitar burning thing occurred there. Just…gah, there was some choice stuff."
"Don't ever change, people!"
"Loose ends were a big part of psychedelic rock; they went with its improvisational spirit. The reunited Jefferson Airplane, which opened a two-night stand Tuesday at Radio City Music Hall, kept some of those loose ends in a generous, two-part concert that veered between the 1960's and the 1980's. Although it had such modern trimmings as lighting effects, smoke machines and synthesizers, it was also refreshingly informal. The stagecraft came from the unregimented 1960's. Band members wandered around, singers faced one another as often as the audience."
Fuck Yeah?
http://fuckyeahswinging60s.tumblr.com/
http://fuckyeahhgraceslick.tumblr.com/
http://fyeahhippies.tumblr.com/
http://fuckyeahpsychedelic60s.tumblr.com/
http://fuckyeahjanisjoplin.tumblr.com/
http://fuckyeahelvispresley.tumblr.com/

1. Grace Slick once said her favorite music to listen to was Jefferson Starship and John Denver. She said she thought John Denver looked like
-A turkey
-A drug addict
-An angel
-A farmer

2. What did Grace Slick name her autobiography?
-"Somebody to Love?"
-"We Built This City"
-"Woman With a Greasy Heart"
-"Spitfire"

3. Complete the lyric by Grace Slick: "You’ve got a love too..."
-be real
- good
-die for
-psychedelic

4. Complete the lyric by Paul Kantner: "Look to the summer of ...."
-Sweating snakes
-Love
-‘75
-The human be-in

5. Which black musician was a member of the Jefferson Starship?
-Stanley Clark on bass
-Jefferson Davis on drums
-Jimi Hendrix on guitar
-Papa John Creech on violin

6. What would happen, according to the lyric by Marty Balin, “If only you’d believe in miracles”?
-"we’d have a baby"
-"the world would be at peace"
-"we’d get by"
-"we could take fantastic trips"

7. Complete the lyric by Grace Slick: "Living in stories, living in books, or we can ...."
-take a psychedelic trip
-run away
-see the saucers
-live

8. Who did Grace Slick say was a "copy-band" of the Jefferson Starship?
-Heart
-Abba
-Fleetwood Mac
-Strawberry Alarm Clock

9. What appears on the cover of the album “Red Octopus”?
-Grace Slick’s bare butt
-A woman sitting on a dragon
-A man with a tape recorder up his nose
-A heart with tentacles

10. A Japanese justice of the peace married Grace Slick to Skip Johnson in 1976. Where?
-The Lahaina Hotel, Maui, Hawaii
-On the "Johnny Carson Show"
-Highland Park, Illinois
-The Hilton Hotel, Tokyo, Japan

11. Which of the following is the title of an album by the Jefferson Airplane?
-Oink
-Quack
-Bark
- Meow

12. Why did the Jefferson Airplane not appear in the "Woodstock" movie?
-The band was too stoned and drunk to play
-They woke early and played while the camera crew slept
-Jack Cassidy sold their instruments to Santana
-Grace Slick was covered with mud

13. What was wrong with the Jefferson Airplane’s performance as it appeared in the film, "Monterey Pop"?
-They were filmed in black and white by mistake.
-Grace appeared on film while Marty was singing
-The editors chose to include, ‘My Way’ which they had played as a joke
-The film was archival

14. Which statement is true?
-Red Octopus (by the Jefferson Starship) sold more albums than all the Jefferson Airplane’s albums combined
-Grace slick dowsed the punch bowl with drugs at a White House lawn party
-When the Jefferson Airplane played on the same bill as the Grateful Dead, the Dead had top billing
-Jack Cassidy and Jorma Kaukonen left a band called Hot Tuna to join up with Marty Balin and Signe Anderson to form Jefferson Airplane

15. What happened at Altamont?
-Grace took off her top and said, “I’ll show you the rest if you guys quit fighting.”
-Jack went up to the mike and said, “Who’s fighting? Why are we fighting?”
-Marty got into a fist fight with a member of the ‘Hell’s Angels.’
-Paul said into the mike, “If those cats don’t cool it we don’t play

16. According to Grace Slick's autobiography, with which member of the Jefferson Airplane did Grace Slick not have an affair?
-drummer Spencer Dryden
-singer Marty Balin
-lead guitarist Jorma Kaukonen
-bass player Jack Cassidy

17. Which song was used as the theme song to the movie, "Go Ask Alice"?
-Crown of Creation
-Somebody to Love
-White Rabbit
-Volunteers

18. Which song was heard in the movie, "The Game" starring Michael Douglas?
-Greasy Heart
-White Rabbit
-Have You Seen the Saucers?
-Eat Starch Mom

19. Which song did Jim Carrey sing in the movie, "Cable Guy"?
-High Flyin’ Bird
-She Has Funny Cars
-Somebody to Love
-Plastic Fantastic Lover

20. What did Paul and Grace name their baby?
-China
-Fred Mertz
-Moon Unit
-They didn’t name the baby. They let the baby grow up and choose its own name, which was Stephanie

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/J/Jefferson_Airplane/jefferson_barkF.jpg
Track list: http://www.mediafire.com/?8t738hyb3lu7kh3
1. L.S.D. - The Pretty Things
2. We Can Be Together - Jefferson Airplane
3. Rattle Snake Shake - Fleetwood Mac
4. Sure ‘Nuff ‘N Yes I Do - Captain Beefheart
5. We Love You - The Rolling Stones
6. Because - The Beatles
7. I’m Set Free - The Velvet Underground
8. Midnight Hour - The Chocolate Watch Band
9. What Am I Gonna Do - The Dovers
10. I Feel Free - Cream
11. Gone And Passes By - The Chocolate Watch Band
12. Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
13. Care Of Cell 44 - The Zombies
14. She’s a Lover - The Pretty Things
15. Eight Miles High - The Byrds
16. You’re Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators
17. 2000 Light Years From Home - The Rolling Stones
18. Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience
19. Season Of The Witch - Donovan
20. Artificial Energy - The Byrds
21. Run Run Run - The Velvet Underground
22. White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
23. Real Cool Time - The Stooges
24. Kick Out The Jams - MC5
25. The End - The Doors

Go ride their music!
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Re: Got a Revolution?

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 am

Hey! Great post!! After reading all the questions I notice how much I still don't know about them!!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby SuperSlick66 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 pm

hey thanks :D

We art thou fellow fans? :cry:
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PrayForPlagues on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm

What is your favorite album?
I'd have to say Baxter's. It represents to me the far corners and extremities as well as the mediations of the members of the band and their influences better than any of the other albums. By far the most artistic, too.

What is your favorite album cover?
I love the cover and scheme of Long John Silver a lot, the natural colors and all... despite the fact that Lester Bangs did call it corny.

Which songs do you favor?
If I had to pick four avorites, I'd say "Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil", "Wooden Ships", "Alexander the Medium" and "Crown of Creation".

Which song represents you?
I think "Alexander" does because I try to see everybody in the same light as a person- no matter what superficial differences they have from me. "Alexander" expresses a message of unity, love and commonality better than extremist material such as "We Can be Together".

Which songs do you overplay?
"Pooneil" and "Wooden Ships" probably, but how can one get sick of those?

Which is the most underrated JA song?
I think "Turn My Life Down" is quite unjustly forgotten- it's a short one, but has some stunning work by Marty and Jorma.

Favorite vocalist?
That's just too difficult of a question for me... I have separate opinions of each, but it's difficult for me to rank. Marty's voice is absolutely the most captivating and penetrating- able to express many things; he no doubt pulls off the sappiest love songs, but he doesn't sound at all out of place on the darker stuff such as "Pooneil Corners". Grace on the other hand has an equally versatile voice, and was a much better match for Marty than Signe was. Signe's voice was breath taking for sure and possibly even much more powerful than Grace's, but she sounded so much like Marty that not only was it confusing, but also somewhat awkward. Grace's voice counteracts Marty's at the best points. Paul's voice, as opposed to Marty and Grace, is probably the poorest in terms of classical criterion- but despite that, it was perfect for the band, counteracting Marty and Grace- his voice being much more ethereal, dreamy and gentle. I like to think of Marty's voice representing the heart, Grace's representing the throat and mouth and Paul's representing the mind.

Favorite instrumentalist?
I'm too biased to present any valid comparison. Jorma's an excellent guitar player, fully unleashing with Hot Tuna; and he wrote and improvised totally unique melodies. One of the most distinctive guitarists ever, for sure. Jack... well, Jack is called God for a reason. Plays the bass like no other- not playing it like a bass, not playing it like a guitar, he plays the bass like something totally unique. Best American bassist of all time. Paul's guitar playing wasn't technically breath taking or anything, but added the perfect touch and layers to the music. Paul's knowledge of obscure and somewhat odd music theory was centerplace in the band just as Jorma's knowledge of blues and Indian classical music was. Paul's bizarre tunings, hand twisting chordal configurations and modal manipulations (terrifying nightmares to any conservative music theorist) could not have been left out. Spencer was the best drummer the band ever had- totally unique and "artsy", if I may. Joey was perhaps the most traditional and simple- he made up for the jazzy nuances that Spencer sometimes overused. John Barbata was probably above Joey; being just as traditional, but much more subtle and appropriate. Joey's work sometimes seemed lacking, whereas John's was just as traditional, but much more subtle and fitting. Just listen to John on "Thirty Seconds over Winterland".

What's your least favorite album (or not as played album)?
As much as it is heresy to the Bay area band fans, "Surrealistic Pillow" is just... not to remarkable to me. Sure, extremely significant and what not, but I dare you to tell me any song on SP that was better studio than live. The live versions of "3/5 of a Mile", "Plastic Fantastic", "Somebody to Love" and others are infinitely superior to the studio versions. Clearly, the songs could have been done better. Of course, I have to admit that it does a good job in things like presenting the signature SF guitar tone, etc.

Least favorite song?
Uh... definitely "Let's Get Together" from Takes Off. Sorry, but it just comes off as total hippie dippie exploitation crap to me. Truly cringeworthy lyrics. It's to the hippie counterculture as Blacula was to the African American community in the 70s...

Most annoying song?
That's a tough one, I find "Let's Get Together" irritating just because of the sucky lyrics.

Most repetitive song?
"The Farm" is so repetitive... fun lyrics yeah, but just sort of pointless at that.

Last song to be stuck in your head?
"Martha"... I've been playing and singing it all day.

What was the first song you remember listening to?
Probably "Martha" or something else on Baxter's.

What's their best show?
Oddly, I don't care much for the October 1968 shows used for Bless Its Pointed Head. Neither do I care for the "Live at the Fillmore East 1968" show, perhaps from October that year as well. I think their Woodstock set was stellar, but not their best. Monterey was simply amazing- I'd have to go with the show at Monterey Pop.

Favorite year for JA?
1969. 1969 was sort of between the overly fuzzed out psychedelic mania shows of 67 and 68, but before the obviously cocaine ravaged messes of 1970. The shows from 1970 have to be the worst JA shows I've ever heard.

Have you asked alice?
I have asked Alice.

Read any books on JA?
Several... I own the well known Tamarkin one, that's a good one... but too short. Informative and interesting nonetheless. I own a good one from 1968 or so, with some great interviews with all of them. Good insight in that one.

Seen any of their concerts?
Sigh... I was born 21 years after the last real Airplane show, and three or so after the crappy reunion shows. So no. But I have seen Paul play with the current incarnation of Jefferson Starship and they are just awesome as heck.

Have you meet any of the members?
I have, as a matter of fact. I've met Paul and I've spoken with him countless times on his JS message board and through email- he's so kind regarding questions I have about playing the band's music. I have also met David Freiberg, who was in JS but also in the Airplane for a year (1972). David was also truly awesome.

Which member are you dying to meet?
I would just love to meet Jorma... I've never gotten the opportunity to see him perform or meet him, but I have sent him a letter and a painting of him that I made- he personally sent me autographed pictures of him and Jack as well as autographed Hot Tuna posters and cool stuff like that.

Would you change anything about the band?
For the most part, no. I can find stuff I enjoy about each period of the band's work. If I were to change something though, it would probably be Grace's opposition to performing music these days as well as the ostensible hatchet between Paul and Jorma. I would love to see Paul, Grace, Marty, Jack and Jorma all on the same stage one day.
Last edited by PrayForPlagues on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby psychy on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 am

Can we all come out and play...again?!!!!):):)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions